Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista

=?Utf-8?B?QUMgW01WUCBNQ01TXQ==?=

Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
I've got Vista Ultimate installed on my laptop just fine. The laptop has two
disks. I've created a 2nd partition on the 2nd disk and successfully restored
a image of another machine (Windows 2003) using an imaging app (Acronis' True
Image). However, I'm having a hard time using BCDEDIT to create another entry
in the boot loader... I can't get a prompt to boot into the Windows 2003
environment.

What I'm trying to do is on boot, get prompted to select the OS to boot into
(for presentations & demos), but to default to Vista after 5 seconds. I know
the boot process is different than pre-Vista, but having a hard time creating
a {legacy} entry in my BCD.

Ideas?
--
-AC [MVP MCMS]
http://www.andrewconnell.com

Michal Kawecki

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista

EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

P.S. http://www.multibooters.co.uk/
--
M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
/before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

=?Utf-8?B?QUMgW01WUCBNQ01TXQ==?=

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
Thanks Michal... EasyBCD helped. Although I told it the new OS was on E:\, it
saved it to the BCD data store as C:\, but I was able to edit it to look for
it on E:\. Now when I tell it to boot into my second image, I get an error
saying there's a problem in boot.ini. I think this is expected, as the image
I took was within a virtual machine that had only one disk & partition. I
restored the image to the 2nd partition on the second disk. Always had
problems with the boot.ini file... Here's what it says now:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Standard"
/noexecute=optout /fastdetect

So, guessing that I should change both entries to disk(1) and paritition(2)?
Yes, I'm proceeding very carefully as I really don't want to do anything to
my primary partition.
--

"Michal Kawecki" wrote:

> "AC [MVP MCMS]" <swamplander@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've got Vista Ultimate installed on my laptop just fine. The laptop
> > has two
> > disks. I've created a 2nd partition on the 2nd disk and successfully
> > restored
> > a image of another machine (Windows 2003) using an imaging app
> > (Acronis' True
> > Image). However, I'm having a hard time using BCDEDIT to create
> > another entry
> > in the boot loader... I can't get a prompt to boot into the Windows
> > 2003
> > environment.
> >
> > What I'm trying to do is on boot, get prompted to select the OS to
> > boot into
> > (for presentations & demos), but to default to Vista after 5 seconds.
> > I know
> > the boot process is different than pre-Vista, but having a hard time
> > creating
> > a {legacy} entry in my BCD.
> >
> > Ideas?

> EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
>
> P.S. http://www.multibooters.co.uk/
> --
> M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
> /before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

Michal Kawecki

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
Just add a new line in section [operating systems]:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="W2k3" . It will boot system
from second primary partition on second hdd using BIOS numbering. That
BIOS numbering is sometime not exactly what people think they are, so
test alternate rdisk settings too.
You can find Boot.ini explanation here:
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/bootini.htm .

But, you will have more problems:
- first, your W2k3 was probably on C letter and now it will be on D or
some other letter. This problem is explained here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;en;249321 . So, before
you first boot your W2k3, set it's system partition as active. It will
force it to assign C letter to this partition. Or edit W2k3 registry
under Vista and set Userinit path to value explained in this KB above,
then - after succesfull booting - change system partition letter in W2k3
using regedit (just delete or modify HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices key).
- second, successfull booting W2k3 - which was installed originally in
virtual machine - is very questionable.
- third, you must know that W2k3 will REMOVE all restore points in
Vista.
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...re-points.aspx
--

> Thanks Michal... EasyBCD helped. Although I told it the new OS was on
> E:\, it
> saved it to the BCD data store as C:\, but I was able to edit it to
> look for
> it on E:\. Now when I tell it to boot into my second image, I get an
> error
> saying there's a problem in boot.ini. I think this is expected, as the
> image
> I took was within a virtual machine that had only one disk &
> partition. I
> restored the image to the 2nd partition on the second disk. Always had
> problems with the boot.ini file... Here's what it says now:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003,
> Standard"
> /noexecute=optout /fastdetect
>
> So, guessing that I should change both entries to disk(1) and
> paritition(2)?
> Yes, I'm proceeding very carefully as I really don't want to do
> anything to
> my primary partition.
> --
> -AC [MVP MCMS]
> http://www.andrewconnell.com
> http://www.andrewconnell.com/mvp
> http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog
>

> "Michal Kawecki" wrote:
>
>> "AC [MVP MCMS]" <swamplander@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I've got Vista Ultimate installed on my laptop just fine. The
>> > laptop
>> > has two
>> > disks. I've created a 2nd partition on the 2nd disk and
>> > successfully
>> > restored
>> > a image of another machine (Windows 2003) using an imaging app
>> > (Acronis' True
>> > Image). However, I'm having a hard time using BCDEDIT to create
>> > another entry
>> > in the boot loader... I can't get a prompt to boot into the Windows
>> > 2003
>> > environment.
>> >
>> > What I'm trying to do is on boot, get prompted to select the OS to
>> > boot into
>> > (for presentations & demos), but to default to Vista after 5
>> > seconds.
>> > I know
>> > the boot process is different than pre-Vista, but having a hard
>> > time
>> > creating
>> > a {legacy} entry in my BCD.
>> >
>> > Ideas?

>> EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
>>
>> P.S. http://www.multibooters.co.uk/
>> --
>> M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
>> /before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

=?Utf-8?B?QUMgW01WUCBNQ01TXQ==?=

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
Thanks again. So I set the second partition to be the active one on the 2nd
disk. I also modified my boot.ini to be the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Standard"
/noexecute=optout /fastdetect

Still getting an error when I try to boot from this OS:
Invalid boot.ini file
Booting from c:\windows
NTDETECT failed

When I'm in Vista, the partition with the restored Win2003 image is E:\. I
have verified that the 2nd boot option using EasyBCD is pointing to E:\. Not
sure if this helps, but I thought I'd mention it. Assume it's something wrong
in my boot.ini file.. not sure what though... Ideas?

--

"Michal Kawecki" wrote:

> [...]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003,
> > Standard"
> > /noexecute=optout /fastdetect
> >
> > So, guessing that I should change both entries to disk(1) and
> > paritition(2)?
> > Yes, I'm proceeding very carefully as I really don't want to do
> > anything to
> > my primary partition.
> > --
> > -AC [MVP MCMS]
> > http://www.andrewconnell.com
> > http://www.andrewconnell.com/mvp
> > http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog
> >

> > "Michal Kawecki" wrote:
> >
> >> "AC [MVP MCMS]" <swamplander@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
> >>
> >> P.S. http://www.multibooters.co.uk/
> >> --
> >> M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
> >> /before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

Don

AC [MVP MCMS] wrote:
> Thanks again. So I set the second partition to be the active one on the 2nd
> disk. I also modified my boot.ini to be the following:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Standard"
> /noexecute=optout /fastdetect
>
> Still getting an error when I try to boot from this OS:
> Invalid boot.ini file
> Booting from c:\windows
> NTDETECT failed
>
> When I'm in Vista, the partition with the restored Win2003 image is E:\. I
> have verified that the 2nd boot option using EasyBCD is pointing to E:\. Not
> sure if this helps, but I thought I'd mention it. Assume it's something wrong
> in my boot.ini file.. not sure what though... Ideas?

The confusing part is that each version of Windows assigns its own
preference for drive letters (A: to Z as it sees fit, with no regard
for what previous versions have assigned.

I got so fed up with being confused by this that I edited my boot.ini
to include one entry for any conceivable partition/disk combination!

I was careful to name each entry in boot.ini so I could tell which one
of them resulted in a successful boot, and then I tried each of them,
one by one, until I found the one entry which worked. Years later, I
still have all of those extraneous entries in boot.ini, just waiting for
the day I might possibly need to try them again, at random ;o)

Michal Kawecki

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
"Invalid boot.ini file" - there must be some problem with syntax of your
Boot.ini file. Correct it manually or boot into Recovery Console from
W2k3 installation CD and rebuild this file with command bootcfg
/rebuild.

BTW if you have fdd drive then you can test your W2k3 system without
using bootmanager from Vista. Just format one floppy disk under W2k3 -
this procedure will create a correct bootrecord on it - then copy there
ntldr, ntdetect.com, Boot.ini files from your W2k3 installation and boot
computer from that floppy.
If you do not have fdd then simply change boot order in your BIOS
selecting W2k3 hdd as first boot device. But remember that it will also
change BIOS hdd numbering, so you must correct "rdrive" setting in your
Boot.ini file to 0.

> [...]
>> > problems with the boot.ini file... Here's what it says now:
>> >
>> > [boot loader]
>> > timeout=30
>> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
>> > [operating systems]
>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003,
>> > Standard"
>> > /noexecute=optout /fastdetect
>> >
>> > So, guessing that I should change both entries to disk(1) and
>> > paritition(2)?
>> > Yes, I'm proceeding very carefully as I really don't want to do
>> > anything to
>> > my primary partition.
>> > --
>> > -AC [MVP MCMS]
>> > http://www.andrewconnell.com
>> > http://www.andrewconnell.com/mvp
>> > http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog

Michal Kawecki

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
[...]
> When I'm in Vista, the partition with the restored Win2003 image is
> E:\. I
> have verified that the 2nd boot option using EasyBCD is pointing to
> E:\. Not
> sure if this helps, but I thought I'd mention it. Assume it's
> something wrong
> in my boot.ini file.. not sure what though... Ideas?

EasyBCD show drive letters just for easy editing of boot entries. In
fact those entries are remembered and enumerated using it's GUID
numbers. Each operating system store actually used letter assignments in
it's own registry (in HKLM\System\MountedDevices key), but bootmanager
can't use those assignments.
--
M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
/before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

=?Utf-8?B?QUMgW01WUCBNQ01TXQ==?=

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
Unfortunately that's not an option (booting using Win2003 or using via a
FDD). I'm doing this on a laptop and the 2nd drive (in the modular bay) is
where I'm trying to get Win2003 to run... so no floppy or optical drive
available.

I'll try many combinatinos to see which one works. All I needed was a
confirmation that the Vista booter was correct, and now my problem is within
the boot.ini file.

--

"Michal Kawecki" wrote:

> [...]
> >> under Vista and set Userinit path to value explained in this KB
> >> above,
> >> then - after succesfull booting - change system partition letter in
> >> W2k3
> >> using regedit (just delete or modify HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices key).
> >> - second, successfull booting W2k3 - which was installed originally
> >> in
> >> virtual machine - is very questionable.
> >> - third, you must know that W2k3 will REMOVE all restore points in
> >> Vista.
> >> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...re-points.aspx
> >> --
> >> M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
> >> /before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

Michal Kawecki

Re: Restoring image to 2nd partition AFTER installing Vista
I suggest you yet another solution: copy Boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect.com
files to C: partition (with Vista) and select it using EasyBCD as W2k3
boot partition. It very probably will correct problems resulting from
starting W2k3 bootmanager from removable disk.

regards,