Upgrade from Vista RC2 5477 64 bit to Retail 32 Vista Ultimate

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVla19tZA==?=

Upgrade from Vista RC2 5477 64 bit to Retail 32 Vista Ultimate
Hi I installed 64 bit Vista RC2 beta. I am having trouble so I now want to
upgrade to a full version of Vista.

Here are my questions:

(1) I dont want to go back to XP then upgrade to vista. I just want to go
straight from beta to full. Can I do this?
(2) I will be going from 64 bit beta to 32 bit retail ultimate. Is that ok?
(3) I want to do a clean install. Is this OK?
(4) If I do a clean install in this scenario, what is the best way to backup
personal data like IE preferences, mail accounts, etc?

THANKS!!
Richard G. Harper

Re: Upgrade from Vista RC2 5477 64 bit to Retail 32 Vista Ultimate
1. No.
2. No.
3. Then why are we talking about upgrades?
4. Easy Transfer Wizard on the Vista CD.

"deek_md" <deek_md@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I installed 64 bit Vista RC2 beta. I am having trouble so I now want to
> upgrade to a full version of Vista.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> (1) I dont want to go back to XP then upgrade to vista. I just want to go
> straight from beta to full. Can I do this?
> (2) I will be going from 64 bit beta to 32 bit retail ultimate. Is that
> ok?
> (3) I want to do a clean install. Is this OK?
> (4) If I do a clean install in this scenario, what is the best way to
> backup
> personal data like IE preferences, mail accounts, etc?
>
> THANKS!!

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVla19tZA==?=

Re: Upgrade from Vista RC2 5477 64 bit to Retail 32 Vista Ultimate
Richard - thanks for your prompt response. I may be using the wrong language..

I need to dump the beta vista because it is now becoming unstable and
unreliable. I dont want to go back to XP. I want to install vista. i want to
know the easiest way to do this. I will install a retail version of vista
which i dont mind paying for. however, i was confused about some information
i got on the web, which said i had to go to the same version i had on beta
(in my case ultimate).

now, I do NOT have an XP version on my computer anymore, since I clean
installed the vista beta and the computer did NOT come with an XP disc.

SO, the question I have is that given that I have ONLY VISTA BETA (64 bit)
and I want to install Vista Ultimate 32 bit, can I do this without any
problems? If so, I will go buy RETAIL Vista ULTIMATE and clean install.

This is all I want to do.

Can I do this without problems?

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> 1. No.
> 2. No.
> 3. Then why are we talking about upgrades?
> 4. Easy Transfer Wizard on the Vista CD.

> "deek_md" <deek_md@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I installed 64 bit Vista RC2 beta. I am having trouble so I now want to
> > upgrade to a full version of Vista.
> >
> > Here are my questions:
> >
> > (1) I dont want to go back to XP then upgrade to vista. I just want to go
> > straight from beta to full. Can I do this?
> > (2) I will be going from 64 bit beta to 32 bit retail ultimate. Is that
> > ok?
> > (3) I want to do a clean install. Is this OK?
> > (4) If I do a clean install in this scenario, what is the best way to
> > backup
> > personal data like IE preferences, mail accounts, etc?
> >
> > THANKS!!

Rock

Re: Upgrade from Vista RC2 5477 64 bit to Retail 32 Vista Ultimate
"deek_md" <deek_md@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Richard - thanks for your prompt response. I may be using the wrong
> language..
>
> I need to dump the beta vista because it is now becoming unstable and
> unreliable. I dont want to go back to XP. I want to install vista. i want
> know the easiest way to do this. I will install a retail version of vista
> which i dont mind paying for. however, i was confused about some
> information
> i got on the web, which said i had to go to the same version i had on beta
> (in my case ultimate).
>
> now, I do NOT have an XP version on my computer anymore, since I clean
> installed the vista beta and the computer did NOT come with an XP disc.
>
> SO, the question I have is that given that I have ONLY VISTA BETA (64 bit)
> and I want to install Vista Ultimate 32 bit, can I do this without any
> problems? If so, I will go buy RETAIL Vista ULTIMATE and clean install.

You cannot upgrade from x64 to x86 Vista. You have to do a clean install
with a full version.

> This is all I want to do.
>
> Can I do this without problems?

It can be done, now whether it can be done without problems well no one can
say that.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> 1. No.
>> 2. No.
>> 3. Then why are we talking about upgrades?
>> 4. Easy Transfer Wizard on the Vista CD.

>> "deek_md" <deek_md@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > Hi I installed 64 bit Vista RC2 beta. I am having trouble so I now want
>> > upgrade to a full version of Vista.
>> >
>> > Here are my questions:
>> >
>> > (1) I dont want to go back to XP then upgrade to vista. I just want to
>> > go
>> > straight from beta to full. Can I do this?
>> > (2) I will be going from 64 bit beta to 32 bit retail ultimate. Is that
>> > ok?
>> > (3) I want to do a clean install. Is this OK?
>> > (4) If I do a clean install in this scenario, what is the best way to
>> > backup
>> > personal data like IE preferences, mail accounts, etc?
>> >
>> > THANKS!!

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVla19tZA==?=

Re: Upgrade from Vista RC2 5477 64 bit to Retail 32 Vista Ultimate
ok then.. tomorrow I buy vista ultimate!

"Rock" wrote:

> "deek_md" <deek_md@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > Richard - thanks for your prompt response. I may be using the wrong
> > language..
> >
> > I need to dump the beta vista because it is now becoming unstable and
> > unreliable. I dont want to go back to XP. I want to install vista. i want
> > know the easiest way to do this. I will install a retail version of vista
> > which i dont mind paying for. however, i was confused about some
> > information
> > i got on the web, which said i had to go to the same version i had on beta
> > (in my case ultimate).
> >
> > now, I do NOT have an XP version on my computer anymore, since I clean
> > installed the vista beta and the computer did NOT come with an XP disc.
> >
> > SO, the question I have is that given that I have ONLY VISTA BETA (64 bit)
> > and I want to install Vista Ultimate 32 bit, can I do this without any
> > problems? If so, I will go buy RETAIL Vista ULTIMATE and clean install.

> You cannot upgrade from x64 to x86 Vista. You have to do a clean install
> with a full version.
>
> > This is all I want to do.
> >
> > Can I do this without problems?

> It can be done, now whether it can be done without problems well no one can
> say that.
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. No.
> >> 2. No.
> >> 3. Then why are we talking about upgrades?
> >> 4. Easy Transfer Wizard on the Vista CD.

> >> "deek_md" <deek_md@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

Rock

Re: Upgrade from Vista RC2 5477 64 bit to Retail 32 Vista Ultimate
"deek_md" <deekmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> ok then.. tomorrow I buy vista ultimate!
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "deek_md" <deek_md@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > Richard - thanks for your prompt response. I may be using the wrong
>> > language..
>> >
>> > I need to dump the beta vista because it is now becoming unstable and
>> > unreliable. I dont want to go back to XP. I want to install vista. i
>> > want
>> > know the easiest way to do this. I will install a retail version of
>> > vista
>> > which i dont mind paying for. however, i was confused about some
>> > information
>> > i got on the web, which said i had to go to the same version i had on
>> > beta
>> > (in my case ultimate).
>> >
>> > now, I do NOT have an XP version on my computer anymore, since I clean
>> > installed the vista beta and the computer did NOT come with an XP disc.
>> >
>> > SO, the question I have is that given that I have ONLY VISTA BETA (64
>> > bit)
>> > and I want to install Vista Ultimate 32 bit, can I do this without any
>> > problems? If so, I will go buy RETAIL Vista ULTIMATE and clean install.

>> You cannot upgrade from x64 to x86 Vista. You have to do a clean install
>> with a full version.
>>
>> > This is all I want to do.
>> >
>> > Can I do this without problems?

>> It can be done, now whether it can be done without problems well no one
>> can
>> say that.
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Remember you can't upgrade from x64 to x86, even with a full retail version.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]