New motherboard and Startup Repair

John Englund

New motherboard and Startup Repair
I had very satisfying experience with Vista for about a month, then my
motherboard died. I'm in the process of trying to recover.

I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card (going from AGP to
PCI-Express). Because I knew that the motherboard setup CD only had XP
drivers, I decided to see if Startup Repair would include getting me Vista
drivers. The answer is No.

Even worse, I'm now stuck in a kind of loop. That is, when I try to boot
from the motherboard CD to try installing the XP drivers (hoping they are at
least sufficient to let me start Vista and get the updated ones), I never
get to the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" stage (I do have the BIOS set
up to boot from that drive.) Instead, I get the Window Error Recovery
screen (the one with the "run windows in safe mode," "run windows normally,"
etc., options). When Vista fails to run, the system reboots and goes
through this sequence ad infinitum. Nothing I do seems to help - shutting
the system completely down, redoing the Startup Repair process...

Does anyone know how I can get out of this, short of completely
reinstalling Vista? Thanks in advance!

John

Dan

Re: New motherboard and Startup Repair
You could try an upgrade install of Vista, hopefully it will save your
settings and information. Failing that you will have to do a complete
install. Hopefully you have an up to date backup. Have a look at this and
see if it helps.
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_..._vista_dvd.htm

"John Englund" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I had very satisfying experience with Vista for about a month, then my
>motherboard died. I'm in the process of trying to recover.
>
> I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card (going from AGP to
> PCI-Express). Because I knew that the motherboard setup CD only had XP
> drivers, I decided to see if Startup Repair would include getting me Vista
> drivers. The answer is No.
>
> Even worse, I'm now stuck in a kind of loop. That is, when I try to boot
> from the motherboard CD to try installing the XP drivers (hoping they are
> at least sufficient to let me start Vista and get the updated ones), I
> never get to the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" stage (I do have the
> BIOS set up to boot from that drive.) Instead, I get the Window Error
> Recovery screen (the one with the "run windows in safe mode," "run windows
> normally," etc., options). When Vista fails to run, the system reboots
> and goes through this sequence ad infinitum. Nothing I do seems to help -
> shutting the system completely down, redoing the Startup Repair process...
>
> Does anyone know how I can get out of this, short of completely
> reinstalling Vista? Thanks in advance!
>
> John

John Englund

Re: New motherboard and Startup Repair
Thanks for the feedback, Dan.

I have the backup I made before installing Vista. I think that before doing
the upgrade install, I might try doing a clean install (without activation)
to an old hard drive I have. That way, I'll know if Vista can find drivers
for the new motherboard and, if it can, I'll be able to refresh my backup
before disconnecting the old hard drive and performing the upgrade install.

John

"Dan" <nothome@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You could try an upgrade install of Vista, hopefully it will save your
> settings and information. Failing that you will have to do a complete
> install. Hopefully you have an up to date backup. Have a look at this and
> see if it helps.
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_..._vista_dvd.htm
>

> "John Englund" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I had very satisfying experience with Vista for about a month, then my
>>motherboard died. I'm in the process of trying to recover.
>>
>> I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card (going from AGP to
>> PCI-Express). Because I knew that the motherboard setup CD only had XP
>> drivers, I decided to see if Startup Repair would include getting me
>> Vista drivers. The answer is No.
>>
>> Even worse, I'm now stuck in a kind of loop. That is, when I try to boot
>> from the motherboard CD to try installing the XP drivers (hoping they are
>> at least sufficient to let me start Vista and get the updated ones), I
>> never get to the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" stage (I do have the
>> BIOS set up to boot from that drive.) Instead, I get the Window Error
>> Recovery screen (the one with the "run windows in safe mode," "run
>> windows normally," etc., options). When Vista fails to run, the system
>> reboots and goes through this sequence ad infinitum. Nothing I do seems
>> to help - shutting the system completely down, redoing the Startup Repair
>> process...
>>
>> Does anyone know how I can get out of this, short of completely
>> reinstalling Vista? Thanks in advance!
>>
>> John

John Englund

Re: New motherboard and Startup Repair
Hi again,

It doesn't look an upgrade install is going to work for me. "Upgrade" is
disabled when I boot from the DVD, so I'm going to have to consider a
complete install. One nice thing is that there's a command-prompt option
among the Repair tools, so at least I can add files I've changed over the
last month to my backup files beforehand.

John

"Dan" <nothome@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You could try an upgrade install of Vista, hopefully it will save your
> settings and information. Failing that you will have to do a complete
> install. Hopefully you have an up to date backup. Have a look at this and
> see if it helps.
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_..._vista_dvd.htm
>

> "John Englund" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I had very satisfying experience with Vista for about a month, then my
>>motherboard died. I'm in the process of trying to recover.
>>
>> I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card (going from AGP to
>> PCI-Express). Because I knew that the motherboard setup CD only had XP
>> drivers, I decided to see if Startup Repair would include getting me
>> Vista drivers. The answer is No.
>>
>> Even worse, I'm now stuck in a kind of loop. That is, when I try to boot
>> from the motherboard CD to try installing the XP drivers (hoping they are
>> at least sufficient to let me start Vista and get the updated ones), I
>> never get to the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" stage (I do have the
>> BIOS set up to boot from that drive.) Instead, I get the Window Error
>> Recovery screen (the one with the "run windows in safe mode," "run
>> windows normally," etc., options). When Vista fails to run, the system
>> reboots and goes through this sequence ad infinitum. Nothing I do seems
>> to help - shutting the system completely down, redoing the Startup Repair
>> process...
>>
>> Does anyone know how I can get out of this, short of completely
>> reinstalling Vista? Thanks in advance!
>>
>> John

David B.

Re: New motherboard and Startup Repair
As a side note, not many motherboard driver CD's are even bootable, and if
they are, it's not for the purpose of installing drivers, you don't install
Windows drivers by booting off of a driver CD.

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

"John Englund" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I had very satisfying experience with Vista for about a month, then my
>motherboard died. I'm in the process of trying to recover.
>
> I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card (going from AGP to
> PCI-Express). Because I knew that the motherboard setup CD only had XP
> drivers, I decided to see if Startup Repair would include getting me Vista
> drivers. The answer is No.
>
> Even worse, I'm now stuck in a kind of loop. That is, when I try to boot
> from the motherboard CD to try installing the XP drivers (hoping they are
> at least sufficient to let me start Vista and get the updated ones), I
> never get to the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" stage (I do have the
> BIOS set up to boot from that drive.) Instead, I get the Window Error
> Recovery screen (the one with the "run windows in safe mode," "run windows
> normally," etc., options). When Vista fails to run, the system reboots
> and goes through this sequence ad infinitum. Nothing I do seems to help -
> shutting the system completely down, redoing the Startup Repair process...
>
> Does anyone know how I can get out of this, short of completely
> reinstalling Vista? Thanks in advance!
>
> John

John Englund

Re: New motherboard and Startup Repair
Thanks, David. You're right - I misread the motherboard installation
instructions. In any case, I ended up having to do a clean install. To my
relief, I didn't have any problems with activation after that.