Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?

RJ

Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
I tried out Vista Ultimate 64bit for a month and got whipped by driver
issues. I installed Vista Ultimate 32bit on a 2nd partition and tried using
Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from the 64bit
installation and pick them up in the 32bit installaion. This is the error I
get every time I try to complete the transfer: "The store you selected was
saved on a 64bit machine. Windows Easy Transfer cannot apply the data."

Is there a way to use WET to transfer files from a Vista-64bit installation?

If not WET, is there another utility?
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
Hi,

Are you running the tool from within the 64-bit installation? You can't run
it from another installation and simply point to the target install, you
must be booted into the installation you want to save the files and settings
from.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"RJ" <RJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried out Vista Ultimate 64bit for a month and got whipped by driver
> issues. I installed Vista Ultimate 32bit on a 2nd partition and tried
> using
> Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from the 64bit
> installation and pick them up in the 32bit installaion. This is the error
> get every time I try to complete the transfer: "The store you selected was
> saved on a 64bit machine. Windows Easy Transfer cannot apply the data."
>
> Is there a way to use WET to transfer files from a Vista-64bit
> installation?
>
> If not WET, is there another utility?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
64 to 32 is the one way that is not supported. Sorry. All the other
possibilities work, of course.

"RJ" <RJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried out Vista Ultimate 64bit for a month and got whipped by driver
> issues. I installed Vista Ultimate 32bit on a 2nd partition and tried
> using
> Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from the 64bit
> installation and pick them up in the 32bit installaion. This is the error
> get every time I try to complete the transfer: "The store you selected was
> saved on a 64bit machine. Windows Easy Transfer cannot apply the data."
>
> Is there a way to use WET to transfer files from a Vista-64bit
> installation?
>
> If not WET, is there another utility?

RJ

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
Rick,

Yes, I ran WET from inside the 64bit installation, created the source files
for the restore into the 32Bit installation and exited the 64bit
installation.

Looks like Colin may have my answer I "wasn't" looking for after your post.

Now that we know the 64 to 32 bit WET transfer is not supported (MS only
knows why...) does anybody know if there is a utility out there that supports
what MS does not? Free preferably but I'm open to some options before I pull
th plug and do it manually.

Thank you for the post Rick!

RJ

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you running the tool from within the 64-bit installation? You can't run
> it from another installation and simply point to the target install, you
> must be booted into the installation you want to save the files and settings
> from.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "RJ" <RJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried out Vista Ultimate 64bit for a month and got whipped by driver
> > issues. I installed Vista Ultimate 32bit on a 2nd partition and tried
> > using
> > Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from the 64bit
> > installation and pick them up in the 32bit installaion. This is the error
> > get every time I try to complete the transfer: "The store you selected was
> > saved on a 64bit machine. Windows Easy Transfer cannot apply the data."
> >
> > Is there a way to use WET to transfer files from a Vista-64bit
> > installation?
> >
> > If not WET, is there another utility?

RJ

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
Looks like you have the answer I "wasn't" looking for.

Now that I know the 64 to 32 bit WET transfer is not supported (MS only
knows why...) do you have any recommendations for a utility out there that
might support this? Free preferably but I'm open to options before I pull the
plug and do it manually.

Thank you for the post Colin!

RJ

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> 64 to 32 is the one way that is not supported. Sorry. All the other
> possibilities work, of course.
>
> "RJ" <RJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried out Vista Ultimate 64bit for a month and got whipped by driver
> > issues. I installed Vista Ultimate 32bit on a 2nd partition and tried
> > using
> > Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from the 64bit
> > installation and pick them up in the 32bit installaion. This is the error
> > get every time I try to complete the transfer: "The store you selected was
> > saved on a 64bit machine. Windows Easy Transfer cannot apply the data."
> >
> > Is there a way to use WET to transfer files from a Vista-64bit
> > installation?
> >
> > If not WET, is there another utility?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
You're welcome. Why don't you ask in the
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup. I believe some folks who
hang out there know about some third party programs that can do what you
want.

> Looks like you have the answer I "wasn't" looking for.
>
> Now that I know the 64 to 32 bit WET transfer is not supported (MS only
> knows why...) do you have any recommendations for a utility out there that
> might support this? Free preferably but I'm open to options before I pull
> the
> plug and do it manually.
>
> Thank you for the post Colin!
>
> RJ
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> 64 to 32 is the one way that is not supported. Sorry. All the other
>> possibilities work, of course.
>>
>> "RJ" <RJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried out Vista Ultimate 64bit for a month and got whipped by driver
>> > issues. I installed Vista Ultimate 32bit on a 2nd partition and tried
>> > using
>> > Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from the 64bit
>> > installation and pick them up in the 32bit installaion. This is the
>> > error
>> > get every time I try to complete the transfer: "The store you selected
>> > was
>> > saved on a 64bit machine. Windows Easy Transfer cannot apply the data."
>> >
>> > Is there a way to use WET to transfer files from a Vista-64bit
>> > installation?
>> >
>> > If not WET, is there another utility?

RJ

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
I'll give that a try. Thanks for the referral!

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> You're welcome. Why don't you ask in the
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup. I believe some folks who
> hang out there know about some third party programs that can do what you
> want.
>
> "RJ" <RJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Looks like you have the answer I "wasn't" looking for.
> >
> > Now that I know the 64 to 32 bit WET transfer is not supported (MS only
> > knows why...) do you have any recommendations for a utility out there that
> > might support this? Free preferably but I'm open to options before I pull
> > the
> > plug and do it manually.
> >
> > Thank you for the post Colin!
> >
> > RJ
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> 64 to 32 is the one way that is not supported. Sorry. All the other
> >> possibilities work, of course.

dkotas

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?

Has this issue been resolved? If so please post answer here at it is
first hit on google.

--
dkotas
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer from Vista-64bit?
Hi,

It hasn't and it won't be. Microsoft is concentrating efforts on the next
version of Windows and does not view that as an issue but rather as by
design.