Home Premium to Ultimate Failure

cadlearning

Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not activate yet.

Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade

Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it asked
for the current product key.

No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running Home
Premium.

Why did ultimate not take?

We need ultimate to login to a domain.
Curious

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
The key on the bottom of the notebook is a Home Premium key and I believe
states that right on the sticker.
You need to use the Ultimate key that you got with your anytime upgrade.

"cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not activate
> yet.
>
> Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade
>
> Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it
> asked
> for the current product key.
>
> No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running Home
> Premium.
>
> Why did ultimate not take?
>
> We need ultimate to login to a domain.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
As Curious points out, the pk on the sticker is the wrong pk.

"cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not activate
> yet.
>
> Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade
>
> Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it
> asked
> for the current product key.
>
> No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running Home
> Premium.
>
> Why did ultimate not take?
>
> We need ultimate to login to a domain.

Mark H

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
Windows Anytime Upgrade requires that the current installation is activated.

"cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not activate

yet.

> Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade
>
> Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it

asked
> for the current product key.
>
> No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running Home
> Premium.
>
> Why did ultimate not take?
>
> We need ultimate to login to a domain.

Rod Rocket

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
It sounds like a good 'you idiot' reply, but I have a similar situation.
A worker with creditcard bought a lovely Lenovo T61 with Vista Home Premium
(says so right on the little sticker), much to my dismay - it NEEDS to
connect to a domain. 'No Worries' says the purchaser - just buy an upgrade -
only $150!! (Aussie). Yeah - but what about the $150/hr x countless that
I've spent trying to do the upgrade.
The Upgrade disk I bought doesn't have a code, and says it's SPECIFICALLY
for those who've bought Vista and are upgrading. (NOW I've read the horror
stories from Amazon buyers of this software package.. I'm worried - 4 hours
and counting).
I did install and ACTIVATE the Vista Home Premium, and restarted, before
trying the upgrade. MY error message says I can't upgrade because the
software I'm upgrading TO is older than the software I'm upgrading FROM.....

"Mark H" wrote:

> Windows Anytime Upgrade requires that the current installation is activated.
>

> "cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not activate

> yet.
> >
> > Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade
> >
> > Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it

> asked
> > for the current product key.
> >
> > No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running Home
> > Premium.
> >
> > Why did ultimate not take?
> >
> > We need ultimate to login to a domain.

Rod Rocket

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
Continuing...
Having gone 'Online to get all updates (recommended)', then activating, and
clicking 'I agree with all the aforesaid conditions' on the Vista Ultimate
(among others) EULA, I am presented with

"Upgrade has been disabled.
The upgrade cannot be started. To upgrade, cancell the installation and then
choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the
version you are currently running."

Excuse me? What? There's software MORE RECENT than Vista Ultimate???

NOW what do I do.... (with my optimistic creditcard carrying IT buyer..
RESEARCH.... please help!

"Rod Rocket" wrote:

> It sounds like a good 'you idiot' reply, but I have a similar situation.
> A worker with creditcard bought a lovely Lenovo T61 with Vista Home Premium
> (says so right on the little sticker), much to my dismay - it NEEDS to
> connect to a domain. 'No Worries' says the purchaser - just buy an upgrade -
> only $150!! (Aussie). Yeah - but what about the $150/hr x countless that
> I've spent trying to do the upgrade.
> The Upgrade disk I bought doesn't have a code, and says it's SPECIFICALLY
> for those who've bought Vista and are upgrading. (NOW I've read the horror
> stories from Amazon buyers of this software package.. I'm worried - 4 hours
> and counting).
> I did install and ACTIVATE the Vista Home Premium, and restarted, before
> trying the upgrade. MY error message says I can't upgrade because the
> software I'm upgrading TO is older than the software I'm upgrading FROM.....
>

> "Mark H" wrote:
>
> > Windows Anytime Upgrade requires that the current installation is activated.
> >

> > "cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not activate

> > yet.
> > >
> > > Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade
> > >
> > > Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it

> > asked
> > > for the current product key.
> > >
> > > No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running Home
> > > Premium.
> > >
> > > Why did ultimate not take?
> > >
> > > We need ultimate to login to a domain.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
Return the upgrade package for one that is at service pack level one. The
computer shipped with Vista SP1 (integrated) so SP1 is not separate and
therefore cannot be removed. The upgrade package shipped with an old dvd
(Vista rtm). There is no way to use Windows Update to resolve because it is
the media that needs to be updated, not the computer.

"Rod Rocket" <RodRocket@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Continuing...
> Having gone 'Online to get all updates (recommended)', then activating,
> and
> clicking 'I agree with all the aforesaid conditions' on the Vista Ultimate
> (among others) EULA, I am presented with
>
> "Upgrade has been disabled.
> The upgrade cannot be started. To upgrade, cancell the installation and
> then
> choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the
> version you are currently running."
>
> Excuse me? What? There's software MORE RECENT than Vista Ultimate???
>
> NOW what do I do.... (with my optimistic creditcard carrying IT buyer..
>
> RESEARCH.... please help!
>
> "Rod Rocket" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like a good 'you idiot' reply, but I have a similar situation.
>> A worker with creditcard bought a lovely Lenovo T61 with Vista Home
>> Premium
>> (says so right on the little sticker), much to my dismay - it NEEDS to
>> connect to a domain. 'No Worries' says the purchaser - just buy an
>> upgrade -
>> only $150!! (Aussie). Yeah - but what about the $150/hr x countless that
>> I've spent trying to do the upgrade.
>> The Upgrade disk I bought doesn't have a code, and says it's SPECIFICALLY
>> for those who've bought Vista and are upgrading. (NOW I've read the
>> horror
>> stories from Amazon buyers of this software package.. I'm worried - 4
>> hours
>> and counting).
>> I did install and ACTIVATE the Vista Home Premium, and restarted, before
>> trying the upgrade. MY error message says I can't upgrade because the
>> software I'm upgrading TO is older than the software I'm upgrading
>> FROM.....
>>

>> "Mark H" wrote:
>>
>> > Windows Anytime Upgrade requires that the current installation is
>> > activated.
>> >

>> > "cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > yet.

>> > asked

Mark H

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
There are no dumb questions.

Your OP stated you did not activate Vista Home Premium before you attempted
the upgrade to Vista Ultimate via WAU. That would be why it originally
failed.

The more recent error message is as Colin has pointed out. You have SP1
installed and upgrade media that does not have SP1 installed. But, WAU sends
media with SP1 installed, so now I'm not sure we are talking apples and
apples. When you stated you purchased Windows Anytime Upgrade, did you mean
the online version from Windows Marketplace or you bought an upgrade disk
from the local retailer?

If the local retailer, do as Colin stated.
If online (WAU), then the "kit" you received should be the correct version.

Either way, you can read the disk label to see if SP1 is part of the media.

> It sounds like a good 'you idiot' reply, but I have a similar situation.
> A worker with creditcard bought a lovely Lenovo T61 with Vista Home

Premium
> (says so right on the little sticker), much to my dismay - it NEEDS to
> connect to a domain. 'No Worries' says the purchaser - just buy an

upgrade -
> only $150!! (Aussie). Yeah - but what about the $150/hr x countless that
> I've spent trying to do the upgrade.
> The Upgrade disk I bought doesn't have a code, and says it's SPECIFICALLY
> for those who've bought Vista and are upgrading. (NOW I've read the

horror
> stories from Amazon buyers of this software package.. I'm worried - 4

hours
> and counting).
> I did install and ACTIVATE the Vista Home Premium, and restarted, before
> trying the upgrade. MY error message says I can't upgrade because the
> software I'm upgrading TO is older than the software I'm upgrading

FROM.....

> "Mark H" wrote:
>
> > Windows Anytime Upgrade requires that the current installation is

activated.

> > "cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not

activate
> > yet.
> > >
> > > Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade
> > >
> > > Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it

> > asked
> > > for the current product key.
> > >
> > > No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running

> > > Premium.
> > >
> > > Why did ultimate not take?
> > >
> > > We need ultimate to login to a domain.

Curious

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
Did you possibly buy a disk to upgrade your Vista32 bit home premium to
Vista 64 bit Home premium and did you use the PK on the bottom of your
laptop to order it? This is the only type of upgrade that I am aware of
that MS sells that does not come with its own PK.
If not what exactly did you buy, how and did you but it from Microsoft?
"Rod Rocket" <Rod Rocket@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It sounds like a good 'you idiot' reply, but I have a similar situation.
> A worker with creditcard bought a lovely Lenovo T61 with Vista Home
> Premium
> (says so right on the little sticker), much to my dismay - it NEEDS to
> connect to a domain. 'No Worries' says the purchaser - just buy an
> upgrade -
> only $150!! (Aussie). Yeah - but what about the $150/hr x countless that
> I've spent trying to do the upgrade.
> The Upgrade disk I bought doesn't have a code, and says it's SPECIFICALLY
> for those who've bought Vista and are upgrading. (NOW I've read the
> horror
> stories from Amazon buyers of this software package.. I'm worried - 4
> hours
> and counting).
> I did install and ACTIVATE the Vista Home Premium, and restarted, before
> trying the upgrade. MY error message says I can't upgrade because the
> software I'm upgrading TO is older than the software I'm upgrading
> FROM.....
>

> "Mark H" wrote:
>
>> Windows Anytime Upgrade requires that the current installation is
>> activated.
>>

>> "cadlearning" <cadlearning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Purchased an HP notebook with premium and set it up but did not
>> > activate

>> yet.
>> >
>> > Then purchased an Ultimate Upgrade with anytime upgrade
>> >
>> > Installed the upgrade using the key from the bottom of the PC when it

>> asked
>> > for the current product key.
>> >
>> > No errors. Finishes the upgrade and restarts and still is running Home
>> > Premium.
>> >
>> > Why did ultimate not take?
>> >
>> > We need ultimate to login to a domain.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate Failure
Just so you know, he would not be able to order alternate media using the pk
on the label on the bottom of the laptop. OEM product keys cannot be used,
only retail product keys (upgrade and standard are both honored).

Only one order per product key is honored. If you order the 64bit dvd you
cannot also order the cd set (and vice versa).

The Alternate Media website also does not honor Vista Ultimate product keys
(presumably the customer already got a 64bit dvd in the retail box). No
provision was made for Ultimate users to order just the cd set.