Windows NT drivers work with Vista

CelestialBabe

Windows NT drivers work with Vista
When I first installed Vista, the Windows NT drivers used to work, so if an
installation cd came with NT drivers, even if it was for Windows 98, XP,
whatever, I could make it work with my Vista. All of a sudden, that stopped
working, I got a pop up that said Vista won't accept NT drivers anymore.
What happened?
--
3. Celeste
2. Brianna
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Windows NT drivers work with Vista
Did you upgrade to SP1? It could be that Vista SP1 is what changed things.

"CelestialBabe" <CelestialBabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I first installed Vista, the Windows NT drivers used to work, so if
> an
> installation cd came with NT drivers, even if it was for Windows 98, XP,
> whatever, I could make it work with my Vista. All of a sudden, that
> stopped
> working, I got a pop up that said Vista won't accept NT drivers anymore.
> What happened?
> --
> 3. Celeste
> 2. Brianna
> 1. Bewty

CelestialBabe

Re: Windows NT drivers work with Vista
Ok, so is there a cure for it or not? Unless I get Vista to accept the NT
drivers that it always did before, a good portion of my software is useless
and that renders some hardware useless and *that* is driving me to the poor
house. I'm not a rich woman, after all. Another point here is that
developers and programmers continue to mess things up instead of leaving well
enough happily alone. It's no wonder most people claim to abhore Vista.
Install the sunofagun and it's beautiful. Install an update that's supposed
to be important for security and also get stabbed in the back at the same
time. I think that people who write this kind of garbage into updates are
doing it for job security (otherwise referred to as greed) and they should
get fired. Greed is bad. So is being an a$$hole for no reason other than
loving to be one.
--
3. Celeste
2. Brianna

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Did you upgrade to SP1? It could be that Vista SP1 is what changed things.
>
> "CelestialBabe" <CelestialBabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I first installed Vista, the Windows NT drivers used to work, so if
> > an
> > installation cd came with NT drivers, even if it was for Windows 98, XP,
> > whatever, I could make it work with my Vista. All of a sudden, that
> > stopped
> > working, I got a pop up that said Vista won't accept NT drivers anymore.
> > What happened?
> > --
> > 3. Celeste
> > 2. Brianna
> > 1. Bewty

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Windows NT drivers work with Vista
If you think SP1 was the critical change then you should use the free SP1
support from MS and see if they can resolve. The other alternative is to
roll back to Vista Gold and investigate solutions.

> Ok, so is there a cure for it or not? Unless I get Vista to accept the NT
> drivers that it always did before, a good portion of my software is
> useless
> and that renders some hardware useless and *that* is driving me to the
> poor
> house. I'm not a rich woman, after all. Another point here is that
> developers and programmers continue to mess things up instead of leaving
> well
> enough happily alone. It's no wonder most people claim to abhore Vista.
> Install the sunofagun and it's beautiful. Install an update that's
> supposed
> to be important for security and also get stabbed in the back at the same
> time. I think that people who write this kind of garbage into updates are
> doing it for job security (otherwise referred to as greed) and they should
> get fired. Greed is bad. So is being an a$$hole for no reason other than
> loving to be one.
> --
> 3. Celeste
> 2. Brianna
> 1. Bewty
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Did you upgrade to SP1? It could be that Vista SP1 is what changed
>> things.
>>
>> "CelestialBabe" <CelestialBabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > When I first installed Vista, the Windows NT drivers used to work, so
>> > if
>> > an
>> > installation cd came with NT drivers, even if it was for Windows 98,
>> > XP,
>> > whatever, I could make it work with my Vista. All of a sudden, that
>> > stopped
>> > working, I got a pop up that said Vista won't accept NT drivers
>> > anymore.
>> > What happened?
>> > --
>> > 3. Celeste
>> > 2. Brianna
>> > 1. Bewty

Dave R.

Re: Windows NT drivers work with Vista

"CelestialBabe" <CelestialBabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CA1570F2-AD32-47D8-96D3-5B5515487179@microsoft.com...
> When I first installed Vista, the Windows NT drivers used to work, so
> if an
> installation cd came with NT drivers, even if it was for Windows 98,
> XP,
> whatever, I could make it work with my Vista. All of a sudden, that
> stopped
> working, I got a pop up that said Vista won't accept NT drivers
> anymore.
> What happened?

As I recall, Vista has never been able to use NT drivers for printers.
It may have allowed them for other devices, but I suspect it would be
hit and miss.

Either way, I would be more surprised when they do work than when they
don't. After all, NT drivers are out of date by two architecture
changes. Heck, there are some XP drivers that don't work with Vista!
Aren't there updated drivers available from the manufacturers?

Regards,

Dave

Bruce Chambers

CelestialBabe wrote:
> When I first installed Vista, the Windows NT drivers used to work, so if an
> installation cd came with NT drivers, even if it was for Windows 98, XP,
> whatever, I could make it work with my Vista. All of a sudden, that stopped
> working, I got a pop up that said Vista won't accept NT drivers anymore.
> What happened?

Can't imagine. WinNT drivers nevwer should have worked in the first
place. Please tell us how you made that work.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.