Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

reinstall vista home premium without cd

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2008
lollerbongo
 

Posts: n/a
reinstall vista home premium without cd
My desktop(zoostorm)keeps shutting itself off, scans reveal no virus, after
running memory diagnostic windows will not load, I want to a full
reinstallation but I dont have a cd as it was pre-installed, i'm told to
click f8 repeatedly at start up but unsure where to go from there to restore
the factory settings, something about advanced boot, command prompt, repair
restore etc, I have my license key(product key), a step by step walk through
would be appreciated greatly, it is a 32 bit vista running vista home premium.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd
lollerbongo wrote:

> My desktop(zoostorm)keeps shutting itself off, scans reveal no virus,
> after running memory diagnostic windows will not load, I want to a full
> reinstallation but I dont have a cd as it was pre-installed, i'm told to
> click f8 repeatedly at start up but unsure where to go from there to
> restore the factory settings, something about advanced boot, command
> prompt, repair restore etc, I have my license key(product key), a step by
> step walk through would be appreciated greatly, it is a 32 bit vista
> running vista home premium.


Since Windows came preinstalled and you apparently didn't make physical
recovery disks, contact the computer mftr. to get replacement recovery
disks. You'll be contacting them anyway because what you're describing is
most probably caused by failing hardware, not software. Reinstalling
Windows onto faulty hardware is futile.

Here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts with
known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data backed up
before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd
This does not sound like a software problem. It sounds like hardware. In
any case, F8 does not sound like the right key. F8 brings up the Advanced
Boot Options. On my wife's HP laptop the option to restore to factory
condition is the F11 key.

"lollerbongo" <lollerbongo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0F48C94D-6095-4577-96FC-D1CE6F88F077@microsoft.com...
> My desktop(zoostorm)keeps shutting itself off, scans reveal no virus,
> after
> running memory diagnostic windows will not load, I want to a full
> reinstallation but I dont have a cd as it was pre-installed, i'm told to
> click f8 repeatedly at start up but unsure where to go from there to
> restore
> the factory settings, something about advanced boot, command prompt,
> repair
> restore etc, I have my license key(product key), a step by step walk
> through
> would be appreciated greatly, it is a 32 bit vista running vista home
> premium.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2008
Masterbowl
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd

Colin's response is 100% spot on. Pre-installed systems without discs
are often factory-installed in a hidden partition on the hard disk.
Your documentation will possibly tell you which " f* " key to press on
initial boot (it may also be displayed on the pre-windows screen on
boot, just after memory test).
Be aware this will do exactly what it says - restore Vista to EXACTLY
as it was when delivered. It will re-format the C: drive, thus wiping
ALL the data, drivers and updates installed since you originally got the
pc.
In my experience (with ACER pc) this re-install process is relatively
simple, requiring minimal user input. However, it's the subsequent
updates that are the pain - you will need to download/install all the
Vista updates, PLUS re-install all your applications (and their updates
too) plus drivers for your peripherals. Look forward to at least 2 days
work!

A tip - if not already done, partition your hard disk drive C;/into at
least two (do NOT attempt to change/format the existing hidden partition
else you will lose your "factory settings", i.e the entire factory
installed recovery system)

When you have recovered your system, use the D: drive to store ALL your
data files/drivers etc
Reason? If/when you have to "restore" again (and thus reformat/wipe the
C: drive, again) it's only the C: drive that's wiped - data stored on
D: is still there!


--
Masterbowl
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd
Even the updates may not be a big deal if Vista SP1 was preinstalled.

"Masterbowl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:25a826f6022dcd5593a2005ebfee9fd2@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Colin's response is 100% spot on. Pre-installed systems without discs
> are often factory-installed in a hidden partition on the hard disk.
> Your documentation will possibly tell you which " f* " key to press on
> initial boot (it may also be displayed on the pre-windows screen on
> boot, just after memory test).
> Be aware this will do exactly what it says - restore Vista to EXACTLY
> as it was when delivered. It will re-format the C: drive, thus wiping
> ALL the data, drivers and updates installed since you originally got the
> pc.
> In my experience (with ACER pc) this re-install process is relatively
> simple, requiring minimal user input. However, it's the subsequent
> updates that are the pain - you will need to download/install all the
> Vista updates, PLUS re-install all your applications (and their updates
> too) plus drivers for your peripherals. Look forward to at least 2 days
> work!
>
> A tip - if not already done, partition your hard disk drive C;/into at
> least two (do NOT attempt to change/format the existing hidden partition
> else you will lose your "factory settings", i.e the entire factory
> installed recovery system)
>
> When you have recovered your system, use the D: drive to store ALL your
> data files/drivers etc
> Reason? If/when you have to "restore" again (and thus reformat/wipe the
> C: drive, again) it's only the C: drive that's wiped - data stored on
> D: is still there!
>
>
> --
> Masterbowl


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010
gracef
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd

I have vista home premium 32bit. I lost my passwords for Admin account
and since my other computer is a Mac, no recovery program downloads will
work. At this point, I don't even care about losing all my personal
data. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1525. Is there a key that restores
it to factory condition if anyone knows?? I didn't recieve any sorts of
recovery or reinstallation discs for Vista. Please please help me. I'm
unable to use the laptop at all because i can't create a new admin
account or delete the current one. Everything needs that darn password.
I've been hacking my own computer for 3 1/2 hours. Can anyone help?


--
gracef
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd
Since you received no recovery disks with the computer the computer probably
has a preinstalled recovery partition and the instructions that you have
that came with the computer will tell you how to use it to recovery they
also will tell you how to make a backup copy of the recovery partition so
you can recover if your HDD fails.

"gracef" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:78c856c50a8e754c114efc72cb23430f@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I have vista home premium 32bit. I lost my passwords for Admin account
> and since my other computer is a Mac, no recovery program downloads will
> work. At this point, I don't even care about losing all my personal
> data. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1525. Is there a key that restores
> it to factory condition if anyone knows?? I didn't recieve any sorts of
> recovery or reinstallation discs for Vista. Please please help me. I'm
> unable to use the laptop at all because i can't create a new admin
> account or delete the current one. Everything needs that darn password.
> I've been hacking my own computer for 3 1/2 hours. Can anyone help?
>
>
> --
> gracef


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010
gracef
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd

I searched on my laptop and there was nothing tagged with "recovery"
however there was something with "recover". I clicked open, and it
promptly flashed on the screen and closed out. I went through this cycle
several times. I have no idea what the program is because it is open for
less than a second...:sarc: This is really stressing me out. I can't buy
another laptop and I can do nothing on it besides typing and stuff. I
need this for school.
What should i doooo


Curious;1212562 Wrote:
> Since you received no recovery disks with the computer the computer
> probably
> has a preinstalled recovery partition and the instructions that you
> have
> that came with the computer will tell you how to use it to recovery
> they
> also will tell you how to make a backup copy of the recovery partition
> so
> you can recover if your HDD fails.
>
> "gracef" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
> news:78c856c50a8e754c114efc72cb23430f@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > I have vista home premium 32bit. I lost my passwords for Admin

> > account
> > > and since my other computer is a Mac, no recovery program downloads

> > will
> > > work. At this point, I don't even care about losing all my personal
> > > data. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1525. Is there a key that

> > restores
> > > it to factory condition if anyone knows?? I didn't recieve any sorts

> > of
> > > recovery or reinstallation discs for Vista. Please please help me.

> > I'm
> > > unable to use the laptop at all because i can't create a new admin
> > > account or delete the current one. Everything needs that darn

> > password.
> > > I've been hacking my own computer for 3 1/2 hours. Can anyone help?
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > gracef > >



--
gracef
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd
If you did not save the printed installation and recovery instruction that
came with your computer then you have to have to contact the Manufacturer's
support group to find out how to use the recovery or recovery partition that
is apparently on your system's original configuration to find out how to use
it.

"gracef" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:8b3d6b0cc79f4fbf6ae5d513c14e5923@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I searched on my laptop and there was nothing tagged with "recovery"
> however there was something with "recover". I clicked open, and it
> promptly flashed on the screen and closed out. I went through this cycle
> several times. I have no idea what the program is because it is open for
> less than a second...:sarc: This is really stressing me out. I can't buy
> another laptop and I can do nothing on it besides typing and stuff. I
> need this for school.
> What should i doooo
>
>
> Curious;1212562 Wrote:
>> Since you received no recovery disks with the computer the computer
>> probably
>> has a preinstalled recovery partition and the instructions that you
>> have
>> that came with the computer will tell you how to use it to recovery
>> they
>> also will tell you how to make a backup copy of the recovery partition
>> so
>> you can recover if your HDD fails.
>>
>> "gracef" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:78c856c50a8e754c114efc72cb23430f@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
>> > >
>> > > I have vista home premium 32bit. I lost my passwords for Admin
>> > account
>> > > and since my other computer is a Mac, no recovery program downloads
>> > will
>> > > work. At this point, I don't even care about losing all my personal
>> > > data. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1525. Is there a key that
>> > restores
>> > > it to factory condition if anyone knows?? I didn't recieve any sorts
>> > of
>> > > recovery or reinstallation discs for Vista. Please please help me.
>> > I'm
>> > > unable to use the laptop at all because i can't create a new admin
>> > > account or delete the current one. Everything needs that darn
>> > password.
>> > > I've been hacking my own computer for 3 1/2 hours. Can anyone help?
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > --
>> > > gracef > >

>
>
> --
> gracef


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstall majong titans under Vista Home Premium DonE 1225 microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 1 02-21-2008 05:39
reinstall windows vista home premium browneyes microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 12-14-2007 09:49
reinstall vista Home Premium fails Juan Perez microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 10-30-2007 09:24
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit Boot Faliure / Cant Reinstall =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 04-11-2007 19:58
Reinstall Vista Home Premium =?Utf-8?B?SGVyaXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-09-2007 19:01




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:52.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120