Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'

gecko

Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'
A security question.

I have a new VISTA ULTIMATE installation, with very little on it as
yet. I am the single user 'GECKO'. I have installed the software for
my HP AIO, and it wants to store its scanned images in c:\documents
and settings under GECKO, which is okay. I believe the images
actually are in folder c:\documents and settings\GECKO\My Scans.
However, I can't get a look at them in Windows Explorer because I get
an error when I click on c:\documents and settings 'not accessible -
Access is denied.

Since I am the only user, and the security properties all seem to
allow me free access to that folder, why is this happening? And, more
important - how can I fix things?

Thanks

-GECKO
Rick Rogers

Re: Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'
Hi,

"C:\Documents and Settings" is a junction point in Vista, there is nothing
actually in it. It exists for compatibility with hard-coded software that
expects that directory structure to be there. It redirects to C:\Users.

You should be able to locate your images under C:\Users\GECKO\My Scans.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gecko" <alpha@olympus.net> wrote in message
>A security question.
>
> I have a new VISTA ULTIMATE installation, with very little on it as
> yet. I am the single user 'GECKO'. I have installed the software for
> my HP AIO, and it wants to store its scanned images in c:\documents
> and settings under GECKO, which is okay. I believe the images
> actually are in folder c:\documents and settings\GECKO\My Scans.
> However, I can't get a look at them in Windows Explorer because I get
> an error when I click on c:\documents and settings 'not accessible -
> Access is denied.
>
> Since I am the only user, and the security properties all seem to
> allow me free access to that folder, why is this happening? And, more
> important - how can I fix things?
>
> Thanks
>
> -GECKO

gecko

Re: Re: Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'
On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:06:00 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>"C:\Documents and Settings" is a junction point in Vista, there is nothing
>actually in it. It exists for compatibility with hard-coded software that
>expects that directory structure to be there. It redirects to C:\Users.
>
>You should be able to locate your images under C:\Users\GECKO\My Scans.

Hmmm

I have C:\Users\GECKO\Documents\My Scans, under which the images
exist. I guess things are okay.
Strangely, I also have C:\Users\GECKO\My Documents, which gives me the
same problem.
Why do I have both 'Documents' and 'My Documents'?
Thanks
-GECKO
Rick Rogers

Re: Re: Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'
Hi,

"My Documents", as well as any of the "My..." folders are junction points as
well. Each points to the corresponding folder under the user's profile.

--

> On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:06:00 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>"C:\Documents and Settings" is a junction point in Vista, there is nothing
>>actually in it. It exists for compatibility with hard-coded software that
>>expects that directory structure to be there. It redirects to C:\Users.
>>
>>You should be able to locate your images under C:\Users\GECKO\My Scans.

> Hmmm
>
> I have C:\Users\GECKO\Documents\My Scans, under which the images
> exist. I guess things are okay.
> Strangely, I also have C:\Users\GECKO\My Documents, which gives me the
> same problem.
> Why do I have both 'Documents' and 'My Documents'?
> Thanks
> -GECKO

gecko

Re: Re: Re: Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'
On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:54:26 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>"My Documents", as well as any of the "My..." folders are junction points as
>well. Each points to the corresponding folder under the user's profile.

Out of curiosity, do you know why are there two 'documents' folders
(or junction points as you state)? Sure confused me.

Thanks for help

-GECKO
Rick Rogers

Re: Re: Re: Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'
Hi,

Actually, the explanation is simple, it's a matter of compatibility for
older software. Prior to Vista, Windows used the "My <folder>" convention
for each user's personal folders. When software writers developed their
programs, they often included these folders as a data store point. These
bits were "hard-coded", meaning that rather than using a variable for
certain path statements, they used the actual physical path to the folder,
ie:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents

With Vista a change was made based on tons of feedback about getting rid of
the "My" moniker. Problem is, doing so would make all that hard-coded
software fall over since that file path would no longer exist. Despite what
people think, Microsoft spends a lot of time trying to make a new operating
system compatible with older software. The solution was to include these
junction points in the user profile to redirect any of these hard-coded
requests to the new location, ie:

C:\Users\username\Documents

The software doesn't know the difference, and the user would not normally
see them unless they enable the option to see hidden and system folders. The
same applies to "C:\Documents and Settings" as it is nothing more than a
redirect to the "C:\Users" folder. If Microsoft had not done this, no
software hard-coded with those paths would have been able to work in Vista.

--

> On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:54:26 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>"My Documents", as well as any of the "My..." folders are junction points
>>as
>>well. Each points to the corresponding folder under the user's profile.

> Out of curiosity, do you know why are there two 'documents' folders
> (or junction points as you state)? Sure confused me.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> -GECKO

gecko

Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem 'not accessible - Access is denied'
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 06:45:26 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Actually, the explanation is simple, it's a matter of compatibility for
>older software. Prior to Vista, Windows used the "My <folder>" convention
>for each user's personal folders. When software writers developed their
>programs, they often included these folders as a data store point. These
>bits were "hard-coded", meaning that rather than using a variable for
>certain path statements, they used the actual physical path to the folder,
>ie:
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents
>
>With Vista a change was made based on tons of feedback about getting rid of
>the "My" moniker. Problem is, doing so would make all that hard-coded
>software fall over since that file path would no longer exist. Despite what
>people think, Microsoft spends a lot of time trying to make a new operating
>system compatible with older software. The solution was to include these
>junction points in the user profile to redirect any of these hard-coded
>requests to the new location, ie:
>
>C:\Users\username\Documents
>
>The software doesn't know the difference, and the user would not normally
>see them unless they enable the option to see hidden and system folders. The
>same applies to "C:\Documents and Settings" as it is nothing more than a
>redirect to the "C:\Users" folder. If Microsoft had not done this, no
>software hard-coded with those paths would have been able to work in Vista.

Thanks

Actually I did wonder about the 'Users' folder also. Your explanation
makes sense. Yes, I had enabled the option to see hidden and system
folders. I always did. I don't see that MS needed to drop the 'My'
however. To wit - c:\Users\username\my documents instead. This is
just a nit on my part I guess.

-GECKO