Revert to XP on a computer that came with Vista

Disgruntled User

Revert to XP on a computer that came with Vista
I just bought a laptop [couldn't get it customised it was on clearance] that
came with Vista, which I loathe, and I remember reading somewhere that you
could get Windows XP from Microsoft if you weren't happy with Vista - or
something like that.

I don't know if that's true or not but does anyone know anything about that?
I'd rather not have to pay for XP since I feel like sometimes they should be
paying us to use Vista.

My older laptop came with Windows XP and I don't know if it came with an XP
disc or not [I'm pretty sure it did but it's not with me right now so I can't
check] but if it does would I be able to install that disc onto my new laptop
even though they are different laptops? [Had an Acer 3000 series with XP on
it, the new one is a Sony Vaio].
PvdG42

Re: Revert to XP on a computer that came with Vista
"Disgruntled User" <Disgruntled User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B8079DBA-734E-4B65-837E-1E1FFE9FB200@microsoft.com...
> I just bought a laptop [couldn't get it customised it was on clearance]
> that
> came with Vista, which I loathe, and I remember reading somewhere that you
> could get Windows XP from Microsoft if you weren't happy with Vista - or
> something like that.
>
> I don't know if that's true or not but does anyone know anything about
> that?
> I'd rather not have to pay for XP since I feel like sometimes they should
> be
> paying us to use Vista.
>
> My older laptop came with Windows XP and I don't know if it came with an
> XP
> disc or not [I'm pretty sure it did but it's not with me right now so I
> can't
> check] but if it does would I be able to install that disc onto my new
> laptop
> even though they are different laptops? [Had an Acer 3000 series with XP
> on
> it, the new one is a Sony Vaio].

First, go to the Sony web site to find out if they offer a full set of XP
drivers for your model. If they don't, getting XP (free or otherwise) will
do you no good.

Malke

Disgruntled User wrote:

> I just bought a laptop [couldn't get it customised it was on clearance]
> that came with Vista, which I loathe, and I remember reading somewhere
> that you could get Windows XP from Microsoft if you weren't happy with
> Vista - or something like that.
>
> I don't know if that's true or not but does anyone know anything about
> that? I'd rather not have to pay for XP since I feel like sometimes they
> should be paying us to use Vista.

See below for general information about removing Vista and using XP.

> My older laptop came with Windows XP and I don't know if it came with an
> XP disc or not [I'm pretty sure it did but it's not with me right now so I
> can't check] but if it does would I be able to install that disc onto my
> new laptop even though they are different laptops? [Had an Acer 3000
> series with XP on it, the new one is a Sony Vaio].

No. The XP install disk that came with your Acer is tied to your Acer. You
would need to purchase a new copy of XP for your Sony.

General information about replacing Vista with XP:

A. On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:

1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.

2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
David

On May 29, 7:46 pm, Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Disgruntled User wrote:
> > I just bought a laptop [couldn't get it customised it was on clearance]
> > that came with Vista, which I loathe, and I remember reading somewhere
> > that you could get Windows XP from Microsoft if you weren't happy with
> > Vista - or something like that.

> > I don't know if that's true or not but does anyone know anything about
> > that? I'd rather not have to pay for XP since I feel like sometimes they
> > should be paying us to use Vista.

> See below for general information about removing Vista and using XP.
>
> > My older laptop came with Windows XP and I don't know if it came with an
> > XP disc or not [I'm pretty sure it did but it's not with me right now so I
> > can't check] but if it does would I be able to install that disc onto my
> > new laptop even though they are different laptops? [Had an Acer 3000
> > series with XP on it, the new one is a Sony Vaio].

> No. The XP install disk that came with your Acer is tied to your Acer. You
> would need to purchase a new copy of XP for your Sony.
>
> General information about replacing Vista with XP:
>
> A. On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:
>
> 1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
> computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
> story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
> thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.
>
> 2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
> them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
> void the warranty, you make the decision.
>
> 3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
> have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
> be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.
>
> 4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
> disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
> from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.
>
> 5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
> have any data you want, back it up first.
>
> 6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
> that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
> running XP instead.
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html- Clean Install How-Tohttp://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows- What
> you will need on-hand
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computerswww.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

I had some problems with my Dell ( Virus)

called them up and they sent me a new XP disc

Then they helped me reinstall;

FREE. !

- And they still offer PC's with Windows XP installed.

I do like Dell