Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise

Raf

Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
When I try to activate my newly installed Windows Vista Enterprise an error
message appears saying: DNS-naam bestaat niet. (in English DNS-name doesn't
exist).
So I'm unable to activate my Windows Vista. This may result in problems
within 3 days.
My vista license is a MS-KISS license.
--
R. Broeckhoven
Mick Murphy

RE: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
Ask your System Administrator!
You have installed this at work, haven't you????
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Raf" wrote:

> When I try to activate my newly installed Windows Vista Enterprise an error
> message appears saying: DNS-naam bestaat niet. (in English DNS-name doesn't
> exist).
> So I'm unable to activate my Windows Vista. This may result in problems
> within 3 days.
> My vista license is a MS-KISS license.
> --
> R. Broeckhoven

Joe Morris

"Raf" <Raf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> When I try to activate my newly installed Windows Vista Enterprise an
> error
> message appears saying: DNS-naam bestaat niet. (in English DNS-name
> doesn't
> exist).
> So I'm unable to activate my Windows Vista. This may result in problems
> within 3 days.
> My vista license is a MS-KISS license.

I have no idea what an "MS-KISS" license is, but assuming that you have a
legal copy of Enterprise your employer must have an appropriate volume
license under which it has purchased Software Assurance. Given that, there
are two ways to activate it:

1) Obtain the appropriate MAK (Multiple Activation Key) from your company's
IT staff, then use the same procedures for activation that are used by
retail customers.

2) If (and only if) your IT staff has set up a KMS (Key Management Server)
correctly, AND (and this is not documented anywhere I've seen) you are
connected to the network to which the KMS is attached when the computer is
booted, an activation good for 180 days will automatically occur. Note that
with this option you do not enter a product ID when you install Enterprise.

From your description it sounds like it can't find a KMS box (which it does
through SRV records on the DNS server). If at boot time the machine can
never be on the net to which the KMS is attached you can manually tell it
where to find the KMS, but you'll need to talk to your IT staff to find its
name. Alternatively, you aren't using the a DNS server that's been set up to
point to the KMS.

You might also ask your IT staff management why it didn't provide you with
this information in the first place.

Joe Morris

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:05:00 -0700, Raf
<Raf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I try to activate my newly installed Windows Vista Enterprise an error
>message appears saying: DNS-naam bestaat niet. (in English DNS-name doesn't
>exist).
>So I'm unable to activate my Windows Vista. This may result in problems
>within 3 days.
>My vista license is a MS-KISS license.

Aren't all Enterprise licenses volume licenses, which aren't activated
via the Activation Wizard, but use a local activation server?

Enterprise licenses are not consumer licenses, anyway.

Hopefully, I am misinformed.

Talk to your System admin, if possible.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
Hello,
Yes all Windows Vista Enterprise installation use volume license media.
By default they look for the local activation server ( KMS Server) which
you would not use the activation wizard for.
If the product key is changed to MAK ( multiple activation key), then the
activation wizard would be used to activate just like a retail version of
Windows Vista.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >From: Donald L McDaniel <orthocross@gmail.com>
| >Subject: Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
| >Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:14:02 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:05:00 -0700, Raf
| ><Raf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| >
| >>When I try to activate my newly installed Windows Vista Enterprise an
error
| >>message appears saying: DNS-naam bestaat niet. (in English DNS-name
doesn't
| >>exist).
| >>So I'm unable to activate my Windows Vista. This may result in problems
| >>within 3 days.
| >>My vista license is a MS-KISS license.
| >
| >Aren't all Enterprise licenses volume licenses, which aren't activated
| >via the Activation Wizard, but use a local activation server?
| >
| >Enterprise licenses are not consumer licenses, anyway.
| >
| >Hopefully, I am misinformed.
| >
| >Talk to your System admin, if possible.
| >

| >Donald L McDaniel
| >Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
| >================================================= =======

Mick Murphy

Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
Enterprise is a new name for Volume.
But, Microsoft has put a stop to the pirating of them, as in what happend in
XP days , by requiring that they be re-activated every 6 months via a
specific Server.

If this poster does not know how, it is stolen!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:05:00 -0700, Raf
> <Raf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I try to activate my newly installed Windows Vista Enterprise an error
> >message appears saying: DNS-naam bestaat niet. (in English DNS-name doesn't
> >exist).
> >So I'm unable to activate my Windows Vista. This may result in problems
> >within 3 days.
> >My vista license is a MS-KISS license.

> Aren't all Enterprise licenses volume licenses, which aren't activated
> via the Activation Wizard, but use a local activation server?
>
> Enterprise licenses are not consumer licenses, anyway.
>
> Hopefully, I am misinformed.
>
> Talk to your System admin, if possible.
>

> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
> ================================================== ======

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
Hello Mick,
Business also has a Volume SKU so it's not limited to Enterprise SKU.
MSDN and Technet also make Windows Vista Enterprise available.
MSDN and Technet supply a MAK key as part of your subscription they don't
tell you it's volume media so you don't really know that it is.
You are not prompted to enter a Product Key during setup for any volume
media installation.
Once the installaton is completed, you do not know that you need to change
your product key to a MAK key.
So you run the wizard and get the error message.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >From: =?Utf-8?B?TWljayBNdXJwaHk=?= <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com>
| >Subject: Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
| >Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 18:39:24 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >Enterprise is a new name for Volume.
| >But, Microsoft has put a stop to the pirating of them, as in what
happend in
| >XP days , by requiring that they be re-activated every 6 months via a
| >specific Server.
| >
| >If this poster does not know how, it is stolen!
| >--
| >Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
| >

| >"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

| >> Aren't all Enterprise licenses volume licenses, which aren't activated
| >> via the Activation Wizard, but use a local activation server?
| >>
| >> Enterprise licenses are not consumer licenses, anyway.
| >>
| >> Hopefully, I am misinformed.
| >>
| >> Talk to your System admin, if possible.
| >>

| >> Donald L McDaniel
| >> Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
| >> ================================================== ======

Joe Morris

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Enterprise is a new name for Volume.

No, Enterprise is just another in the bewildering jungle of Vista
configurations, which include Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and
Ultimate. It's roughly the equivalent of Ultimate without the non-business
tools such as parential controls.

Disks for Vista Business are available in both normal (retail and OEM) and
volume flavors; Enterprise only in volume media. Volume customers can
install Ultimate, but MS does not provide volume license media, and neither
MAK or KMS work with it.

> But, Microsoft has put a stop to the pirating of them, as in what happend
> in
> XP days , by requiring that they be re-activated every 6 months via a
> specific Server.

Um...if a volume-license installation is configured with an MAK then
activation works exactly like it does for retail users. If it is instead
activated by a KMS, then the activation is good for only 180 days (plus a
30-day grace period) -- but any KMS that supports Vista can activate any
Vista client that's eligible for KMS activation.

> If this poster does not know how, it is stolen!

Possible but not proven. End users -- especially in organizations where
Vista is licensed but which have not begun to support it for their staff --
may be experimenting with it but are unfamiliar with the all-too-numerous
gotchas one encounters in activation.

Joe Morris

Raf

Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post (so quick!). THis was
the first time I used this forum.
Unfortunately my information wasn't complete. I'm sorry for that.
The installation is on my home PC which is connected with my small wireless
network via a Linksys router. Furthermore, I can work on the Internet
normally through this same computer, so I don't understand the reason of this
error message concerning the DNS-name.
The MS-KISS license is a volume license for educational organisations (cfr.
schools). I'm a teacher and I have the permission to use this license key at
home under the license agreement between my school and Microsoft.
Meanwhile only 2 days left before my Vista wil not work properly anymore. So
I'm a bit concerned.
Kind regards,

--
R. Broeckhoven

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Enterprise is a new name for Volume.
> But, Microsoft has put a stop to the pirating of them, as in what happend in
> XP days , by requiring that they be re-activated every 6 months via a
> specific Server.
>
> If this poster does not know how, it is stolen!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Donald L McDaniel" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:05:00 -0700, Raf
> > <Raf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >When I try to activate my newly installed Windows Vista Enterprise an error
> > >message appears saying: DNS-naam bestaat niet. (in English DNS-name doesn't
> > >exist).
> > >So I'm unable to activate my Windows Vista. This may result in problems
> > >within 3 days.
> > >My vista license is a MS-KISS license.

> > Aren't all Enterprise licenses volume licenses, which aren't activated
> > via the Activation Wizard, but use a local activation server?
> >
> > Enterprise licenses are not consumer licenses, anyway.
> >
> > Hopefully, I am misinformed.
> >
> > Talk to your System admin, if possible.
> >

> > Donald L McDaniel
> > Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
> > ================================================== ======

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Activation of my Windows Vista Enterprise
Hello,
You need to get a MAK key from your administrator. When you have a volume
license agreement the company or school can get both a MAK and a KMS key.
If you are not connected to their network and\or your machine is never
connected to thier network, the only other option is activate using the MAK
key.
Contact the administrator of the MS-KISS agreement to help locating your
schools MAK key.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]