No "repair my computer" option.

Jacck

No "repair my computer" option.
My computer came with Vista Home Premium installed. I also received a disk
marked:-
"For distribution with a new Ev**** PC".(supplier's name).
I recently had some problems. I booted from the disk. The only option I got
was to install Vista. There was no option to "repair your computer" so I
could not use startup repair or system restore. I had to reinstall Vista.
Also there was no option to do a custom install.
Do I not have the complete Vista Home Premium on my disk?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: No "repair my computer" option.
"Jacck" <Jacck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer came with Vista Home Premium installed. I also received a disk
> marked:-
> "For distribution with a new Ev**** PC".(supplier's name).
> I recently had some problems. I booted from the disk. The only option I
> got
> was to install Vista. There was no option to "repair your computer" so I
> could not use startup repair or system restore. I had to reinstall Vista.
> Also there was no option to do a custom install.
> Do I not have the complete Vista Home Premium on my disk?

Did you buy it from PC World? I seem to remember that brand being a PC World
in house name. You should contact them and ask about the options you think
you should have.

As it is, a manufacturer has only to supply a means to return the machine
'back to factory"..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Jacck

Re: No "repair my computer" option.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the seller has gone out of
business, so I can't get information there.
When buying a computer advertised as having "Genuine Vista Home
Premium" installed, I expected to have all of Vista installed. I'm surprised
to learn that apparently that is not the case. What's the reason? Do
Microsoft allow this?

> Hi Mike,
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the seller has gone out of
> business, so I can't get information there.
> When buying a computer advertised as having "Genuine Vista
> Premium" installed, I expected to have all of Vista installed. I'm
> surprised
> to learn that apparently that is not the case. What's the reason? Do
> Microsoft allow this?
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:
>
>> "Jacck" <Jacck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My computer came with Vista Home Premium installed. I also received a
>> > disk
>> > marked:-
>> > "For distribution with a new Ev**** PC".(supplier's name).
>> > I recently had some problems. I booted from the disk. The only option I
>> > got
>> > was to install Vista. There was no option to "repair your computer" so
>> > could not use startup repair or system restore. I had to reinstall
>> > Vista.
>> > Also there was no option to do a custom install.
>> > Do I not have the complete Vista Home Premium on my disk?

>> Did you buy it from PC World? I seem to remember that brand being a PC
>> World
>> in house name. You should contact them and ask about the options you
>> think
>> you should have.
>>
>> As it is, a manufacturer has only to supply a means to return the machine
>> 'back to factory"..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> How to construct a good post..
>> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
>> Mike's Window - My Blog..
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

You do have all of Vista Premium installed. What you don't have is a decent
recovery option which, unfortunately was the responsibility of the computer
vendor..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Jacck

Re: No "repair my computer" option.
Hi Mike,
Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Can I find these
options on the disk and install them?
"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> "Jacck" <Jacck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Mike,
> > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the seller has gone out of
> > business, so I can't get information there.
> > When buying a computer advertised as having "Genuine Vista
> > Premium" installed, I expected to have all of Vista installed. I'm
> > surprised
> > to learn that apparently that is not the case. What's the reason? Do
> > Microsoft allow this?
> >
> > "Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> "Jacck" <Jacck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Did you buy it from PC World? I seem to remember that brand being a PC
> >> World
> >> in house name. You should contact them and ask about the options you
> >> think
> >> you should have.
> >>
> >> As it is, a manufacturer has only to supply a means to return the machine
> >> 'back to factory"..
> >>

> >> --
> >> Mike Hall - MVP
> >> How to construct a good post..
> >> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> >> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> >> Mike's Window - My Blog..
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
> >>

> You do have all of Vista Premium installed. What you don't have is a decent
> recovery option which, unfortunately was the responsibility of the computer
> vendor..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

Daze N. Knights

Re: No "repair my computer" option.
The "Repair" option only comes with a Microsoft Windows Vista
installation DVD, which is what you lack, because your supplier bundled
the Vista operating system along with drivers for the PC and possibly
additional software onto the recovery disk. IOW, although you *do* have
"Genuine" Vista, you do *not* have a "Genuine" Vista installation DVD,
which sucks, but that's the deal most suppliers seem to offer these days
(at least unless one knows to *ask* for a genuine MS installation DVD
and then, most likely, has to pay extra to get it).

Daze

Znod

Re: No "repair my computer" option.

OP, you can use 'this software '
(http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...c-download/)to
take care of your issue.

--
Znod

::::[image:
http://homepage.mac.com/donv1/.Pictu.../VistaTVF.jpg]
::::
Daze N. Knights

Re: No "repair my computer" option.
True! Good recommendation.

Znod wrote:
> OP, you can use 'this software '
> (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...c-download/)to
> take care of your issue.

Jacck

Re: No "repair my computer" option.
Thanks for all the information. Thanks to Znod for his helpful suggestion.
Daze N. Knights, I thought I had asked for the disk. However, I only asked
if my disk would allow me to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows as
often as I wanted.
This seems to be a common problem. Surely the responsibility lies with
Microsoft for allowing this. Microsoft uses the recovery options as a selling
point.
Incidently, have Microsoft stopped offering technical support? On several
occasions in the past I was able to email Microsoft and get help. I can't
find such an option now.

> Thanks for all the information. Thanks to Znod for his helpful suggestion.
> Daze N. Knights, I thought I had asked for the disk. However, I only asked
> if my disk would allow me to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows
> as
> often as I wanted.
> This seems to be a common problem. Surely the responsibility lies with
> Microsoft for allowing this. Microsoft uses the recovery options as a
> selling
> point.
> Incidently, have Microsoft stopped offering technical support? On several
> occasions in the past I was able to email Microsoft and get help. I can't
> find such an option now.
>
> "Daze N. Knights" wrote:
>
>> True! Good recommendation.
>>

>> Znod wrote:
>> > OP, you can use 'this software '
>> > (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...c-download/)to
>> > take care of your issue.

It is the decision of the computer manufacturer/vendor as to what recovery
facilities exist. HP are maybe the best of the bunch in this respect. One
gets what one pays for..

I couldn't get ZNods link to open.. just a 404 error..

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..