Vista won't start from DVD

kub

Vista won't start from DVD

I have successfully used my Vista installation DVD to backup and restore
Complete PC many times. But yesterday, it suddenly stopped booting and
no longer prompts me to "Press any key to boot Vista from the
installation CD/DVD". Other computers boot fine from this DVD, so it's
not faulty.

My system:
Apple MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

The only changes to the system configuration since the last successful
boot from the DVD (literally the night before):
1. Automatic Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0
Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
2. Automatic Update for Windows Vista (KB947562)
3. Changed location of Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures to USB HDD,
and then reverted back to defaults.

What should I look into? Any help is appreciated.

--
kub
David B.

Re: Vista won't start from DVD
Look at your BIOS settings and make sure the boot order hasn't changed and
your DVD drive is before the hard drive, your installed Vista or any of it's
updates has nothing to do with booting from the DVD, this is a BIOS level
function.

--

----

"kub" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have successfully used my Vista installation DVD to backup and restore
> Complete PC many times. But yesterday, it suddenly stopped booting and
> no longer prompts me to "Press any key to boot Vista from the
> installation CD/DVD". Other computers boot fine from this DVD, so it's
> not faulty.
>
> My system:
> Apple MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
> Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
>
> The only changes to the system configuration since the last successful
> boot from the DVD (literally the night before):
> 1. Automatic Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0
> Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
> 2. Automatic Update for Windows Vista (KB947562)
> 3. Changed location of Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures to USB HDD,
> and then reverted back to defaults.
>
> What should I look into? Any help is appreciated.
>

> --
> kub

bobblehead1706

Re: Vista won't start from DVD

As David stated...check the BIOS settings thoroughly...you may of
accidentally changed something at some point. Check the first or second
boot drive to dvd.

--
bobblehead1706
kub

Re: Vista won't start from DVD

As I mentioned, this is MacBook Pro, so it doesn't have BIOS. Any other
settings to search for?

--
kub
David B.

Re: Vista won't start from DVD
Whoops, I missed that, my bad. This is not the place to be posting for this
issue, I would suggest using Apples online discussion.
http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

--

----

> As I mentioned, this is MacBook Pro, so it doesn't have BIOS. Any other
> settings to search for?
>

> --
> kub

kub

Re: Vista won't start from DVD

David B.;728640 Wrote:
> Whoops, I missed that, my bad. This is not the place to be posting for
> this
> issue, I would suggest using Apples online discussion.
> 'Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home'
> (http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa)

Thanks for the link. Let me ask here a Vista-specific question:

If I reinstall Vista from scratch, will I be able then to restore
Complete PC backup from the previous installation? Or it won't recognize
it?

--
kub
bobblehead1706