Identifying & preventing rogue Vista drivers from loading

eugeneg

Identifying & preventing rogue Vista drivers from loading
I am trying to fix a PC that had a replacement mobo fitted (by me). I boot
into Vista and it part loads numerous drivers before settling down and
letting me do whatever I want, although the driver installation does request
a restart to complete some driver installs. But if I restart the PC I get a
BSOD with stop code 7b. I am then not able to start even in safe mode. I
tried a repair install but am back to the same situation. Fortunately, I
took an image of the disk before I did anything so I can get back to being
able to boot once.

I understand that 7b indicates an inaccessible boot device, but I have run a
manufacturer's diagnostic, CHKDSK and virus scan and not found any fault.
Vista's automated repair is not able to help (beyond telling me that a
driver is bad). If I could identify which driver is causing problems I could
just disable it from starting by loading the system hive from
C:\Windows\System32\Config\System and (please correct me if I'm wrong)
changing ControlSet001\Services\????\Start to 4 I guess it is the chipset
for the IDE controllers on the motherboard that is different from the one
that the Windows version was originally installed on, but how to identify
which driver to disable ?

I saved a log file of an abortive start by booting off the installation DVD
then from recovery command prompt editing C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.app.log
and I will attach that file here. It contains several failures, but how do I
identify the particular driver that is causing my BSOD ?

The only hardware in the PC is:
mobo: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (that replaced an Asus M2N DH)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
RAM: 4GB Ballistix Tracer (separately tested to be good)
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
HDD: WDC WD360ADFD
PSU, optical & floppy

Thanks.

Mick Murphy

RE: Identifying & preventing rogue Vista drivers from loading
Try pulling your high end video card, and installing vista.

Also, if 64bit Vista, install with 2 gig RAM; install rest later.
-
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia