Vista x64 won't boot off second hdd

Starbuck

Vista x64 won't boot off second hdd

Yesterday evening I decieded to put vista x64 on my pc. Just so people
know xp is on a sata harddrive and vista an ide master with the cd drive
as a slave(I know having the two devices on one ide cable works as I
used to boot XP like this before I got the sata).
Then I had the issue with it taking ages to "expand the files" took
about 3hours [image:
http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...whatafool.gif]
Anyway once it finished I restarted the pc like it said and then waited
it to boot....nothing happened it booted into XP like nothing had
changed(although xp is now alot slower). So I ran Vista repair from the
disk several times; and many beers later it still had not fixed it.

So I google the problem and installed a program called VistaBootPro,
this detected the vista installation and then I remade the vista boot
loader and restarted. YEAA!! the vista bootloader came up with three
Vista AND guess what?? NOTHING [image:
http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...ault/dumb.gif] x2

So Booted the Vista CD (again) and ran startup repair and finally it
found an error [image:
http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...ault/clap.gif]
NO...it "repaired it" to no avial.

Other thing to note:

XP will boot fine,
I have tried re-setting the bios
I can see the HDD and all the Vista files
Changing the boot order of the drives in bios makes no difference

Anyone?? [image:
http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...fault/beg.gif]

--
Starbuck
churin

Re: Vista x64 won't boot off second hdd
In my experience attempting to install another OS on a second physical
drive with a first physical drive on which an existing OS installed is
always problematic. Disconnect the first physical drive, then try
installing the OS on the second physical drive. After confirming that
the OS so installed boots correctly, reconnect the first physical drive.
Then on which OS to boot depends on the boot order by the BIOS. Change
the boot order as needed to switch between the two OSes.

Starbuck wrote:
> Yesterday evening I decieded to put vista x64 on my pc. Just so people
> know xp is on a sata harddrive and vista an ide master with the cd drive
> as a slave(I know having the two devices on one ide cable works as I
> used to boot XP like this before I got the sata).
> Then I had the issue with it taking ages to "expand the files" took
> about 3hours [image:
> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...whatafool.gif]
> Anyway once it finished I restarted the pc like it said and then waited
> it to boot....nothing happened it booted into XP like nothing had
> changed(although xp is now alot slower). So I ran Vista repair from the
> disk several times; and many beers later it still had not fixed it.
>
> So I google the problem and installed a program called VistaBootPro,
> this detected the vista installation and then I remade the vista boot
> loader and restarted. YEAA!! the vista bootloader came up with three
> Vista AND guess what?? NOTHING [image:
> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...ault/dumb.gif] x2
>
> So Booted the Vista CD (again) and ran startup repair and finally it
> found an error [image:
> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...ault/clap.gif]
> NO...it "repaired it" to no avial.
>
> Other thing to note:
>
> XP will boot fine,
> I have tried re-setting the bios
> I can see the HDD and all the Vista files
> Changing the boot order of the drives in bios makes no difference
>
> Anyone?? [image:
> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...fault/beg.gif]

Lenster

Re: Vista x64 won't boot off second hdd
On Tue, 27 May 2008 16:32:42 -0400, churin <churin@new.postalias>
wrote:

>In my experience attempting to install another OS on a second physical
>drive with a first physical drive on which an existing OS installed is
>always problematic. Disconnect the first physical drive, then try
>installing the OS on the second physical drive. After confirming that
>the OS so installed boots correctly, reconnect the first physical drive.
>Then on which OS to boot depends on the boot order by the BIOS. Change
>the boot order as needed to switch between the two OSes.
>
>Starbuck wrote:
>> Yesterday evening I decieded to put vista x64 on my pc. Just so people
>> know xp is on a sata harddrive and vista an ide master with the cd drive
>> as a slave(I know having the two devices on one ide cable works as I
>> used to boot XP like this before I got the sata).
>> Then I had the issue with it taking ages to "expand the files" took
>> about 3hours [image:
>> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...whatafool.gif]
>> Anyway once it finished I restarted the pc like it said and then waited
>> it to boot....nothing happened it booted into XP like nothing had
>> changed(although xp is now alot slower). So I ran Vista repair from the
>> disk several times; and many beers later it still had not fixed it.
>>
>> So I google the problem and installed a program called VistaBootPro,
>> this detected the vista installation and then I remade the vista boot
>> loader and restarted. YEAA!! the vista bootloader came up with three
>> Vista AND guess what?? NOTHING [image:
>> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...ault/dumb.gif] x2
>>
>> So Booted the Vista CD (again) and ran startup repair and finally it
>> found an error [image:
>> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...ault/clap.gif]
>> NO...it "repaired it" to no avial.
>>
>> Other thing to note:
>>
>> XP will boot fine,
>> I have tried re-setting the bios
>> I can see the HDD and all the Vista files
>> Changing the boot order of the drives in bios makes no difference
>>
>> Anyone?? [image:
>> http://forum.digitalpowered.info/sty...fault/beg.gif]

Good advice. I found this method to be the only sure fire way to
guarantee working installations. Of couse you need a BIOS that lets
you select between HDs to boot from.