Dual booting XP and Vista

NigelH

Dual booting XP and Vista
Hi all,

I have had visa and xp in a multi boot configuration. However, decided that
I do not need xp any more.

I have vista and xp on two physically seperate hard drive

So I used 'Vista boot pro' to delete the windows xp MBR. When I reset the
computer it worked fine and their was no option for loading xp.

Than I decided to erase the drive that xp was on (not vista), using East-Tec
Eraser 2008 to wipe the drive. This took 5 hours as the drive was 100 gb.

When it finished I then reset the computer and the screen said 'No operating
system found'.

I then used the original visa dvd to fix the boot record, however, when I
tried there was no record of any operating system.

I know that the installation is still there as I saw it using the find
driver dialog box.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
--
Nige
PaulM

Re: Dual booting XP and Vista
Is this what you tried?
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum

"NigelH" <NigelH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have had visa and xp in a multi boot configuration. However, decided
> that
> I do not need xp any more.
>
> I have vista and xp on two physically seperate hard drive
>
> So I used 'Vista boot pro' to delete the windows xp MBR. When I reset the
> computer it worked fine and their was no option for loading xp.
>
> Than I decided to erase the drive that xp was on (not vista), using
> East-Tec
> Eraser 2008 to wipe the drive. This took 5 hours as the drive was 100 gb.
>
> When it finished I then reset the computer and the screen said 'No
> operating
> system found'.
>
> I then used the original visa dvd to fix the boot record, however, when I
> tried there was no record of any operating system.
>
> I know that the installation is still there as I saw it using the find
> driver dialog box.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Nige

NigelH

Re: Dual booting XP and Vista
I have fixed the problem. The reason why the computer was not picking up my
vista installation was because the hard drive was not set to the boot drive
in the bios.

Once this was changed, the vista startup recovery picked up the vista
installation.

Then I used the dos console in startup recovery to repair the BCD. using the
following:

bcdedit /export c:\BCD_Backup
C:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBCD

I then rebooted and went back into the repair on the vista dvd

and repaired the boot using the fixboot command (1st in the list) in the
repair menu (not the console)

and rebooted and the system loaded properly.

--
Nige

"PaulM" wrote:

> Is this what you tried?
> How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
> troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

> www.paulsxp.com
> www.paulsxp.com/forum
>
> "NigelH" <NigelH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have had visa and xp in a multi boot configuration. However, decided
> > that
> > I do not need xp any more.
> >
> > I have vista and xp on two physically seperate hard drive
> >
> > So I used 'Vista boot pro' to delete the windows xp MBR. When I reset the
> > computer it worked fine and their was no option for loading xp.
> >
> > Than I decided to erase the drive that xp was on (not vista), using
> > East-Tec
> > Eraser 2008 to wipe the drive. This took 5 hours as the drive was 100 gb.
> >
> > When it finished I then reset the computer and the screen said 'No
> > operating
> > system found'.
> >
> > I then used the original visa dvd to fix the boot record, however, when I
> > tried there was no record of any operating system.
> >
> > I know that the installation is still there as I saw it using the find
> > driver dialog box.
> >
> > Please help.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Nige

bobblehead1706

Re: Dual booting XP and Vista

I just recently installed XP +Vista dual boot and was very nervous with
the installation due to the potential problems as you had. Glad it was
just your BIOS. Stranger things can happen with CPUs.

--
bobblehead1706
Michael

Re: Dual booting XP and Vista
NigelH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have had visa and xp in a multi boot configuration. However, decided that
> I do not need xp any more.
>
> I have vista and xp on two physically seperate hard drive
>
> So I used 'Vista boot pro' to delete the windows xp MBR. When I reset the
> computer it worked fine and their was no option for loading xp.
>
> Than I decided to erase the drive that xp was on (not vista), using East-Tec
> Eraser 2008 to wipe the drive. This took 5 hours as the drive was 100 gb.
>
> When it finished I then reset the computer and the screen said 'No operating
> system found'.
>
> I then used the original visa dvd to fix the boot record, however, when I
> tried there was no record of any operating system.
>
> I know that the installation is still there as I saw it using the find
> driver dialog box.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Did you wipe out the boot drive (normally C?
If so, please boot from Vista DVD, enter command prompt, format your C:
drive, go out and fix boot in the menu.