More drives than A-Z on Vista32?

ker_01

More drives than A-Z on Vista32?

I have a quad-core development/test box (running virtual machines). I've
got a built-in multicard reader, multiple DVD drives (paired with virtual
machines), and 4 harddrives (each with multiple partitions). On top of
that, I use some external Harddrives for backup, and a few USB memory
sticks.

Bottom line, I'm running out of drive letters. I was under the impression
that Vista allowed extended disk naming (AA through ZZ) but haven't found
it, and renaming a drive in disk management only gives the A-Z options.

Can anyone point me to directions on how to achieve extended drive naming,
or point me to information that indicates it can't be done on Vista32 (and
why)?

Thanks!
Keith
Richard G. Harper

Re: More drives than A-Z on Vista32?
It isn't possible - not in any Windows operating system. The reason goes
back to the earliest days of MS-DOS, PC-DOS and CP/M.

"ker_01" <ker_01@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> I have a quad-core development/test box (running virtual machines). I've
> got a built-in multicard reader, multiple DVD drives (paired with virtual
> machines), and 4 harddrives (each with multiple partitions). On top of
> that, I use some external Harddrives for backup, and a few USB memory
> sticks.
>
> Bottom line, I'm running out of drive letters. I was under the impression
> that Vista allowed extended disk naming (AA through ZZ) but haven't found
> it, and renaming a drive in disk management only gives the A-Z options.
>
> Can anyone point me to directions on how to achieve extended drive naming,
> or point me to information that indicates it can't be done on Vista32 (and
> why)?

Dave R.

Re: More drives than A-Z on Vista32?

"ker_01" <ker_01@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> I have a quad-core development/test box (running virtual machines).
> I've
> got a built-in multicard reader, multiple DVD drives (paired with
> virtual
> machines), and 4 harddrives (each with multiple partitions). On top of
> that, I use some external Harddrives for backup, and a few USB memory
> sticks.
>
> Bottom line, I'm running out of drive letters. I was under the
> impression
> that Vista allowed extended disk naming (AA through ZZ) but haven't
> found
> it, and renaming a drive in disk management only gives the A-Z
> options.
>
> Can anyone point me to directions on how to achieve extended drive
> naming,
> or point me to information that indicates it can't be done on Vista32
> (and
> why)?

Although I can't point you to a definitive source that indicates it
can't be done in Vista, I am as sure as I can be that it cannot be done.
However, you *can* mount partitions to an empty NTFS folder to save on
drive letters. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889

Regards,

Dave