Uninstall Windows Vista and Install Windows XP

Doug

Uninstall Windows Vista and Install Windows XP
I have searched hi and low for an easy way to revert back to XP from a Vista
Premium OEM install.
Of course the error message comes up after reboot "Unable To Load OS".
I have tried even to dual boot with no success.

I have used the following programs to revert back to XP:

-Vista Boot Pro
-EasyBCD
-Paragon Partition Manager Professional
-Acronis Disk Director Suite

Paragon worked but I was unable to dual boot and it left Vista intact on the
partition.
I deleted the Vista partition after a good XP install and when I rebooted I
was faced with
the "Unable To Load OS" error message.

Does anyone have an EASY solution for this problem? As in a complete hard
drive erase to clear
the boot files?

Any help or links would be so greatly appreciated :-)

--
Duze
andy

Re: Uninstall Windows Vista and Install Windows XP
On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:33:01 -0700, Doug
<Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have searched hi and low for an easy way to revert back to XP from a Vista
>Premium OEM install.
>Of course the error message comes up after reboot "Unable To Load OS".
>I have tried even to dual boot with no success.
>
>I have used the following programs to revert back to XP:
>
>-Vista Boot Pro
>-EasyBCD
>-Paragon Partition Manager Professional
>-Acronis Disk Director Suite
>
>Paragon worked but I was unable to dual boot and it left Vista intact on the
>partition.
>I deleted the Vista partition after a good XP install and when I rebooted I
>was faced with
>the "Unable To Load OS" error message.

You should describe in some detail how your hardware, in particular
how many disks are connected and what are on the partitions on said
disks, is configured. You should state where on the disk Vista is
installed, and where you want XP to be installed.

A good XP install implies that you are able to boot to Windows XP.
Deleting the Vista partition and being unable to boot to XP suggests
that the Vista partition is the Windows XP system partition.

>Does anyone have an EASY solution for this problem? As in a complete hard
>drive erase to clear
>the boot files?

Boot computer with XP CD, select partition that Vista is currently on,
format the partition, and complete the installation.

>Any help or links would be so greatly appreciated :-)

Doug

Re: Uninstall Windows Vista and Install Windows XP

Thanks so much for your reply Andy,

Here is where I stand at this moment.

I have Win Vista Premium installed on drive C, with no other partitions on
said drive, and their
are no other HDD's or Os's installed. I have one DVD (D and one CD (E
optical drives installed, plus a
floppy in Drive (A. I just want to downgrade back to XP. I'm pretty good
at pc's but, I have read so many
different scenarios on how to fix the boot.ini. NTDLR and so forth that it's
very confusing. I'm to the point where,
It would just be easier to get a new HDD. I have been running Vista since
it was first released. Nice eye candy but it is no where near as fast as XP.
(I surpass all minimum requirements for Vista by far!)

I'm just looking for a simple easy way to re-install XP again without all
the hassle. And to fix the boot loader.
The best and easier way to me is to do a reformat/Fdisk but even this leaves
the boot info behind.
I have a couple of programs that I want to try to do a total erase. They
are "Kill Disk", "Super Fdisk" and
"Dban".

I hope that I can help you with an annoyance or problem.

Sincerely,

Doug

--
Duze

"andy" wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:33:01 -0700, Doug
> <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have searched hi and low for an easy way to revert back to XP from a Vista
> >Premium OEM install.
> >Of course the error message comes up after reboot "Unable To Load OS".
> >I have tried even to dual boot with no success.
> >
> >I have used the following programs to revert back to XP:
> >
> >-Vista Boot Pro
> >-EasyBCD
> >-Paragon Partition Manager Professional
> >-Acronis Disk Director Suite
> >
> >Paragon worked but I was unable to dual boot and it left Vista intact on the
> >partition.
> >I deleted the Vista partition after a good XP install and when I rebooted I
> >was faced with
> >the "Unable To Load OS" error message.

> You should describe in some detail how your hardware, in particular
> how many disks are connected and what are on the partitions on said
> disks, is configured. You should state where on the disk Vista is
> installed, and where you want XP to be installed.
>
> A good XP install implies that you are able to boot to Windows XP.
> Deleting the Vista partition and being unable to boot to XP suggests
> that the Vista partition is the Windows XP system partition.
>

> >Does anyone have an EASY solution for this problem? As in a complete hard
> >drive erase to clear
> >the boot files?

> Boot computer with XP CD, select partition that Vista is currently on,
> format the partition, and complete the installation.
>

> >Any help or links would be so greatly appreciated :-)

Mick Murphy

Re: Uninstall Windows Vista and Install Windows XP
Doug, you did not upgrade to Vista; you did a clean install with an OEM vista
disk. So there is no roll back to XP.

Have to assume you still have your XP CD.

Go into BIOSat startup F2 orDELETE?, or F12 for Bot Order) and set your CD
drive to be 1st in the Boot Order.
Insert your XP CD, reboot.
Than load XP files, delete existing Vista partition, formatt that partition,
install XP.
The instructions are on the XP disk, just make sure you read carefully.

If you had a factory issued set of CDs for XP Recovery, followOEM
manufacturer's recommendations to reinstall.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Doug" wrote:

> Thanks so much for your reply Andy,
>
> Here is where I stand at this moment.
>
> I have Win Vista Premium installed on drive C, with no other partitions on
> said drive, and their
> are no other HDD's or Os's installed. I have one DVD (D and one CD (E
> optical drives installed, plus a
> floppy in Drive (A. I just want to downgrade back to XP. I'm pretty good
> at pc's but, I have read so many
> different scenarios on how to fix the boot.ini. NTDLR and so forth that it's
> very confusing. I'm to the point where,
> It would just be easier to get a new HDD. I have been running Vista since
> it was first released. Nice eye candy but it is no where near as fast as XP.
> (I surpass all minimum requirements for Vista by far!)
>

> I'm just looking for a simple easy way to re-install XP again without all
> the hassle. And to fix the boot loader.
> The best and easier way to me is to do a reformat/Fdisk but even this leaves
> the boot info behind.
> I have a couple of programs that I want to try to do a total erase. They
> are "Kill Disk", "Super Fdisk" and
> "Dban".
>
> I hope that I can help you with an annoyance or problem.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Doug
>

> --
> Duze
>

> "andy" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:33:01 -0700, Doug
> > <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have searched hi and low for an easy way to revert back to XP from a Vista
> > >Premium OEM install.
> > >Of course the error message comes up after reboot "Unable To Load OS".
> > >I have tried even to dual boot with no success.
> > >
> > >I have used the following programs to revert back to XP:
> > >
> > >-Vista Boot Pro
> > >-EasyBCD
> > >-Paragon Partition Manager Professional
> > >-Acronis Disk Director Suite
> > >
> > >Paragon worked but I was unable to dual boot and it left Vista intact on the
> > >partition.
> > >I deleted the Vista partition after a good XP install and when I rebooted I
> > >was faced with
> > >the "Unable To Load OS" error message.

> > You should describe in some detail how your hardware, in particular
> > how many disks are connected and what are on the partitions on said
> > disks, is configured. You should state where on the disk Vista is
> > installed, and where you want XP to be installed.
> >
> > A good XP install implies that you are able to boot to Windows XP.
> > Deleting the Vista partition and being unable to boot to XP suggests
> > that the Vista partition is the Windows XP system partition.
> >

> > >Does anyone have an EASY solution for this problem? As in a complete hard
> > >drive erase to clear
> > >the boot files?

> > Boot computer with XP CD, select partition that Vista is currently on,
> > format the partition, and complete the installation.
> >

> > >Any help or links would be so greatly appreciated :-)

Bruce Chambers

Doug wrote:
> I have searched hi and low for an easy way to revert back to XP from a Vista
> Premium OEM install.
> Of course the error message comes up after reboot "Unable To Load OS".
> I have tried even to dual boot with no success.
>
> I have used the following programs to revert back to XP:
>
> -Vista Boot Pro
> -EasyBCD
> -Paragon Partition Manager Professional
> -Acronis Disk Director Suite
>
> Paragon worked but I was unable to dual boot and it left Vista intact on the
> partition.
> I deleted the Vista partition after a good XP install and when I rebooted I
> was faced with
> the "Unable To Load OS" error message.
>
> Does anyone have an EASY solution for this problem? As in a complete hard
> drive erase to clear
> the boot files?
>
> Any help or links would be so greatly appreciated :-)

It's your computer, so the choice is, ultimately, yours. (Although
it would have been a lot simpler to have just purchased the computer
with WinXP installed, to start with.)

However, there could be a couple possible adverse repercussions of
which you should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer
model in question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be
no WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's
diverse components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer
about the availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an
OEM-installed operating system and replacing it with another will almost
invariably void any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the
warranty. You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before
getting any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the
computer's manufacturer for specifics. Thirdly, there may be the
additional cost involved in purchasing a WinXP license for this new
computer.

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

Then, assuming you were successful in obtaining WinXP-specific
device drivers so that the computer can be made to work with WinXP, the
backed up data can be restored and applications (those that are
WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Doug

Re: Uninstall Windows Vista and Install Windows XP
Mick,
This makes the most sense. Yes, I do have WinXP OEM Disk (SP2).
I will try this Mick but it's tough due to the fact that Vista changes the
MBR and the Boot.ini files. Do you know of a program that deletes
all info on the HD?

Thanks....

-Doug (San Diego)

--