Re-installation of Vista Ultimate

Brass Locomotives

Re-installation of Vista Ultimate
Vista Ultimate became corrupted due to interfering downloads that affected
both Vista Ultimate and Trend Micro Internet Security. After several attempts
to fix the problem I decided to re-install Vista Ultimate. In the process of
re-installation one of the tutorials stated that a folder would be made of
the Old Windows. (Windows.Old) This did not occur.

Question:

How do I download/secure the files that are located in the Old Windows?
When booting the PC I have a choice of selecting the Old or New Windows. I
can't access the Old Windows with out using "Safe Mode".

The previous windows such as XP overwrote the corrupted windows and kept the
files. Vista just creates a new operating system and ignores the corrupted
Vista.

I tried the Start button and wrote in "drive:\windows.old but nothing
happened.

--
MWPBall
Rick Rogers

Re: Re-installation of Vista Ultimate
Hi,

As a manner of explanation about the reinstallation, it doesn't just
overwrite the old installation files with new ones. A change was made in the
way Windows installed and it now lays down an image rather than overwriting
or updating files. Because of this, any existing installation is normally
moved to a windows.old folder on the root of the drive as part of the setup
process. In order to see this folder, you would need to enable the options
to see hidden and system folders in the control panel under folder
options/view tab. In addition, once you locate the folder, you may need to
alter permissions on it in order to access it. If the folder does not exist
after enabling those options, then there is nothing to recover.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org