Window xp genuine

ARP

Window xp genuine
I just bought a PC from e-bay it appears the windows xp is not genuine can I
install windows vista upgrade if my windows xp is not genuine?
philo

Re: Window xp genuine

"ARP" <ARP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a PC from e-bay it appears the windows xp is not genuine can

> install windows vista upgrade if my windows xp is not genuine?

If the machine is old enough that it came with XP...
it will not run Vista very well, so forget that idea.

Vista is best for new computers only

Mick Murphy

Re: Window xp genuine
What a load of crap, philo!

I liked reading your posts, but not after this garbage of you saying NEW
computer to run vista.

I've installed it on 6yo comps with updated Graphics and RAM, and it flies!!!!
Obviously, you don't know how to build anything!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"philo" wrote:

> "ARP" <ARP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just bought a PC from e-bay it appears the windows xp is not genuine can

> > install windows vista upgrade if my windows xp is not genuine?

> If the machine is old enough that it came with XP...
> it will not run Vista very well, so forget that idea.
>
> Vista is best for new computers only

DL

Re: Window xp genuine
I dont believe so, in any case you will require the winxp cd in order to
reinstall Vista if anything goes wrong in the future.

"ARP" <ARP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a PC from e-bay it appears the windows xp is not genuine can
> install windows vista upgrade if my windows xp is not genuine?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Window xp genuine
If XP is not genuine then you won't be able to upgrade to Vista to make it
genuine. Unfortunately when buying from e-bay or when buying second user
systems it is a case of the old cliché 'caveat emptor' (buyer beware!)

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"ARP" <ARP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a PC from e-bay it appears the windows xp is not genuine can
> install windows vista upgrade if my windows xp is not genuine?

Mellowed

Re: Window xp genuine
Mick Murphy wrote:
> What a load of crap, philo!
>
> I liked reading your posts, but not after this garbage of you saying NEW
> computer to run vista.
>
> I've installed it on 6yo comps with updated Graphics and RAM, and it flies!!!!
> Obviously, you don't know how to build anything!

Mick,

Your key word is 'upgraded'. Vista will suck on a stock 6 year old
computer.

philo

Re: Window xp genuine

> What a load of crap, philo!
>
> I liked reading your posts, but not after this garbage of you saying NEW
> computer to run vista.
>
> I've installed it on 6yo comps with updated Graphics and RAM, and it

flies!!!!
> Obviously, you don't know how to build anything!

You missed something.
The guy bought a machine on ebay.

Sure, one could take an older machine and add a lot of RAM and a high end
video card
and probably get Vista to run OK...
But considering the low price of new machines..it's not worth it.
(At least for most people)

I've got a lot of experience building machines.
FWIF: I'm a Microsoft authorized refurbisher. I've built literally hundereds
of machines...
more than likely the number is over 1000.

I've done a three month evaluation of Vista and stand by my statement
that it's really an OS for the newest H/W out there.

A dual core CPU, 2 gigs of RAM and a high end video card are really needed
to take full advantage of all of Vista's features.

Sure I can tweak it and get it to run on an older machine...
but for the OP and his ebay computer...
XP is the best choice I'm sure.

It's a big mistake to get caught in the upgrade game.
Better to save your money for the next tank of gas!

> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "philo" wrote:
>

> > "ARP" <ARP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I just bought a PC from e-bay it appears the windows xp is not genuine

can
> > > install windows vista upgrade if my windows xp is not genuine?

> > If the machine is old enough that it came with XP...
> > it will not run Vista very well, so forget that idea.
> >
> > Vista is best for new computers only

Dustin Harper

Re: Window xp genuine
Nope. You'll need a legit version of XP to have the Vista upgrade be legit.
I am not sure if it will install ok and run ok, but it will still be in
violation of the EULA.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

"ARP" <ARP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a PC from e-bay it appears the windows xp is not genuine can
> install windows vista upgrade if my windows xp is not genuine?

Mick Murphy

Re: Window xp genuine
And Philo, I am a Microsoft Partwer, and System Builder.
So, no need to brag on here; it does not wash with me!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

> And Philo, I am a Microsoft Partwer, and System Builder.
> So, no need to brag on here;

LOL!

I assume you mean "partner"...
anyway:

You have your opinion and I have mine then...
so we should just agree to that and move on .