BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit

JWHData

BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit

Hardware Configuration

Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
Motherboard ID:09/20/2007-C51PV-MCP51-M2NPV-VM-00
(no added PCI cards)
2 - Seagate 320GB Sata2 Drives (Raid 1 Mirrored)
2 - Asus 1814BL Lightscribe Sata DVDRW Drives

2- Maxtor 40GB IDE Drives (Disconnected during re-install process)

Windows Ultimate 64bit was previously installed and running. A few days
after installing Service Pack 1, I noticed that the 2 Seagate Sata drives
were no longer mirrored. While attempting to re-establish the Raid 1 Mirrored
setup I messed up and decided the best approach was to just wipe the 2 drives
and re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit.

The install process goes OK until the first re-boot attempt which ends in
the BSOD
0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff98000e0eb98, 0xfffff98000e0e570)

I have re-connected my Windows XP Pro Maxtor 40GB IDE Drive in order to type
this. I have also ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (No Issues Noted) and
the memory test (2Passes) twice with no issues showing up.

All suggestions welcome

John
propman

Re: BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit

Have you tried booting it into "Safe Mode"? Press the F8 key when the
flashing cursor is at the top left hand side of the screen before the
Windows logo appears.

The text screen that will appear give you several options to complete
the bootup into "Safe Mode".

JWHData wrote:
> BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
>
> Hardware Configuration
>
> Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
> Motherboard ID:09/20/2007-C51PV-MCP51-M2NPV-VM-00
> (no added PCI cards)
> 2 - Seagate 320GB Sata2 Drives (Raid 1 Mirrored)
> 2 - Asus 1814BL Lightscribe Sata DVDRW Drives
>
> 2- Maxtor 40GB IDE Drives (Disconnected during re-install process)
>
> Windows Ultimate 64bit was previously installed and running. A few days
> after installing Service Pack 1, I noticed that the 2 Seagate Sata drives
> were no longer mirrored. While attempting to re-establish the Raid 1 Mirrored
> setup I messed up and decided the best approach was to just wipe the 2 drives
> and re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit.
>
> The install process goes OK until the first re-boot attempt which ends in
> the BSOD
> 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff98000e0eb98, 0xfffff98000e0e570)
>
> I have re-connected my Windows XP Pro Maxtor 40GB IDE Drive in order to type
> this. I have also ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (No Issues Noted) and
> the memory test (2Passes) twice with no issues showing up.
>
> All suggestions welcome
>
> John

JWHData

Re: BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
Yes - and "Safe Mode appeared to start" however there was a message on the
screen advising that the install could not complete in the safe mode, with
the only option to reboot.

"propman" wrote:

> Have you tried booting it into "Safe Mode"? Press the F8 key when the
> flashing cursor is at the top left hand side of the screen before the
> Windows logo appears.
>
> The text screen that will appear give you several options to complete
> the bootup into "Safe Mode".
>

> JWHData wrote:
> > BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
> >
> > Hardware Configuration
> >
> > Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
> > Motherboard ID:09/20/2007-C51PV-MCP51-M2NPV-VM-00
> > (no added PCI cards)
> > 2 - Seagate 320GB Sata2 Drives (Raid 1 Mirrored)
> > 2 - Asus 1814BL Lightscribe Sata DVDRW Drives
> >
> > 2- Maxtor 40GB IDE Drives (Disconnected during re-install process)
> >
> > Windows Ultimate 64bit was previously installed and running. A few days
> > after installing Service Pack 1, I noticed that the 2 Seagate Sata drives
> > were no longer mirrored. While attempting to re-establish the Raid 1 Mirrored
> > setup I messed up and decided the best approach was to just wipe the 2 drives
> > and re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit.
> >
> > The install process goes OK until the first re-boot attempt which ends in
> > the BSOD
> > 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff98000e0eb98, 0xfffff98000e0e570)
> >
> > I have re-connected my Windows XP Pro Maxtor 40GB IDE Drive in order to type
> > this. I have also ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (No Issues Noted) and
> > the memory test (2Passes) twice with no issues showing up.
> >
> > All suggestions welcome
> >
> > John

propman

Re: BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit

Ahhhh...OK....hadn't finished installing then. Wouldn't think it would
be a hardware issue as you had a functioning Vista previously on your
system.

You might want to play around with "Cache Write" (may be accessible via
your BIOS) as I've seen a couple of "solved" concerning that issue.

Could also try the following site to do a search for similar situations
such as yours.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...wt.svl=leftnav

There's something tickling the old gray cells too, about a bootable
recovery disk for this situation being available for downloading off the
Microsoft web site......not 100% sure on that though. :-)

JWHData wrote:
> Yes - and "Safe Mode appeared to start" however there was a message on the
> screen advising that the install could not complete in the safe mode, with
> the only option to reboot.
>
> "propman" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried booting it into "Safe Mode"? Press the F8 key when the
>> flashing cursor is at the top left hand side of the screen before the
>> Windows logo appears.
>>
>> The text screen that will appear give you several options to complete
>> the bootup into "Safe Mode".
>>

>> JWHData wrote:
>>> BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
>>>
>>> Hardware Configuration
>>>
>>> Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
>>> Motherboard ID:09/20/2007-C51PV-MCP51-M2NPV-VM-00
>>> (no added PCI cards)
>>> 2 - Seagate 320GB Sata2 Drives (Raid 1 Mirrored)
>>> 2 - Asus 1814BL Lightscribe Sata DVDRW Drives
>>>
>>> 2- Maxtor 40GB IDE Drives (Disconnected during re-install process)
>>>
>>> Windows Ultimate 64bit was previously installed and running. A few days
>>> after installing Service Pack 1, I noticed that the 2 Seagate Sata drives
>>> were no longer mirrored. While attempting to re-establish the Raid 1 Mirrored
>>> setup I messed up and decided the best approach was to just wipe the 2 drives
>>> and re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit.
>>>
>>> The install process goes OK until the first re-boot attempt which ends in
>>> the BSOD
>>> 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff98000e0eb98, 0xfffff98000e0e570)
>>>
>>> I have re-connected my Windows XP Pro Maxtor 40GB IDE Drive in order to type
>>> this. I have also ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (No Issues Noted) and
>>> the memory test (2Passes) twice with no issues showing up.
>>>
>>> All suggestions welcome
>>>
>>> John

Dustin Harper

Re: BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
If you have more than 2 GB of RAM, try taking out the sticks to give it 2 GB
and try rebooting and install that way. When the install is finished, put
the other RAM back in. Sometimes Vista has an issue installing with >2 GB of
RAM installed...

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

"JWHData" <JWHData@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
>
> Hardware Configuration
>
> Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
> Motherboard ID:09/20/2007-C51PV-MCP51-M2NPV-VM-00
> (no added PCI cards)
> 2 - Seagate 320GB Sata2 Drives (Raid 1 Mirrored)
> 2 - Asus 1814BL Lightscribe Sata DVDRW Drives
>
> 2- Maxtor 40GB IDE Drives (Disconnected during re-install process)
>
> Windows Ultimate 64bit was previously installed and running. A few days
> after installing Service Pack 1, I noticed that the 2 Seagate Sata drives
> were no longer mirrored. While attempting to re-establish the Raid 1
> Mirrored
> setup I messed up and decided the best approach was to just wipe the 2
> drives
> and re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit.
>
> The install process goes OK until the first re-boot attempt which ends in
> the BSOD
> 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff98000e0eb98, 0xfffff98000e0e570)
>
> I have re-connected my Windows XP Pro Maxtor 40GB IDE Drive in order to
> type
> this. I have also ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (No Issues Noted)
> and
> the memory test (2Passes) twice with no issues showing up.
>
> All suggestions welcome
>
> John

JWHData

Re: BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit
YES Dustin that was the issue. Just after I posted the problem I came across
a comment on that situation and removed 2 GB of ram. The install went OK
after I did that. I only made 1 mistake.....I forgot to install the Vista
update which allows memory over 3GB before I re-installed the 2GB of ram so I
ended up having to remove it once again until I ran the special update.

I did however run across 1 more issue while running the Vista Updates which
locked up the PC. The problem turned out to be "Older Nvidia drivers" which
were part of the updates. Once I reverted back to my previous newer Nvidia
drivers everything worked OK.