Have new computer but want to use vista from old computer.

Rodney

Have new computer but want to use vista from old computer.
I have just recently bought a new computer built from scratch and im looking
to put vista on it but what i want to do is wipe the old computer clean so it
has no windows on it and then install vista on the new computer using the
disk i used for my old one and then activte it. Is it possible for me to do
that? and if it is can someone tell me what i will need to do?
LVTravel

Re: Have new computer but want to use vista from old computer.
If this disk from the old computer is an OEM version, it can't be used on
the new computer.

If the disk is an upgrade version (so labeled) the only way to use that disk
is to have a "licensed" version of a previous operating system that is not
an OEM version used on a different computer.

If the disk is a retail full version, use away. If online activation
doesn't work as expected call the Microsoft telephone number displayed and
advise that you are transferring the license to a new computer.

"Rodney" <Rodney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just recently bought a new computer built from scratch and im
>looking
> to put vista on it but what i want to do is wipe the old computer clean so
> it
> has no windows on it and then install vista on the new computer using the
> disk i used for my old one and then activte it. Is it possible for me to
> do
> that? and if it is can someone tell me what i will need to do?

mikeyhsd

Re: Have new computer but want to use vista from old computer.
if your vista is from manufacturer like dell or hp, etc..., not likely it will work with your new computer.
if it is a store bought version, have at it.

even update versions will work.

the procedure for clean installing using update version is widely known.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Rodney" <Rodney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:405F207B-53B0-4B76-B506-4D8619F9C35C@microsoft.com...
I have just recently bought a new computer built from scratch and im looking
to put vista on it but what i want to do is wipe the old computer clean so it
has no windows on it and then install vista on the new computer using the
disk i used for my old one and then activte it. Is it possible for me to do
that? and if it is can someone tell me what i will need to do?
Dustin Harper

Re: Have new computer but want to use vista from old computer.
As long as it isn't OEM, you should be fine. Just format the old hard drive.
When you install Vista on the new computer, you may have to activate by
phone with Microsoft, but that isn't a problem. They will get you activated
with no issues.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

"Rodney" <Rodney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just recently bought a new computer built from scratch and im
>looking
> to put vista on it but what i want to do is wipe the old computer clean so
> it
> has no windows on it and then install vista on the new computer using the
> disk i used for my old one and then activte it. Is it possible for me to
> do
> that? and if it is can someone tell me what i will need to do?

Bruce Chambers

Rodney wrote:
> I have just recently bought a new computer built from scratch and im looking
> to put vista on it but what i want to do is wipe the old computer clean so it
> has no windows on it and then install vista on the new computer using the
> disk i used for my old one and then activte it. Is it possible for me to do
> that? and if it is can someone tell me what i will need to do?

Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not legitimately
transferable), simply remove Vista from the computer it is currently on
and then install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.