How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk

Aeronaut

How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk
I bought a Vista upgrade pack and formatted the hard disk for a clean
install. Then the Vista upgrade disk told me it couldn't install because XP
wasn't there. So I got out my XP disk and tried to reinstall that, but it
won't install (apparently it's a bug that is known with this computer and
many others, it needs SP2 to install, but it's a pre-SP2 XP disk). Why do
Microsoft have to make it so difficult for genuine purchasers of their
products?! Any idea how I can fix this? I don't need XP any more, I just
want to install Vista, it should be simple...
Curious

Re: How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk
What specific error(s) do you get when you try to install XP on your system
with your original XP installation disk on your reformatted disk?
"Aeronaut" <Aeronaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a Vista upgrade pack and formatted the hard disk for a clean
> install. Then the Vista upgrade disk told me it couldn't install because
> XP
> wasn't there. So I got out my XP disk and tried to reinstall that, but it
> won't install (apparently it's a bug that is known with this computer and
> many others, it needs SP2 to install, but it's a pre-SP2 XP disk). Why do
> Microsoft have to make it so difficult for genuine purchasers of their
> products?! Any idea how I can fix this? I don't need XP any more, I just
> want to install Vista, it should be simple...

Mick Murphy

RE: How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk
Set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD Drive, insert XP disk, reboot; install XP
Then upgrade.

You can not do a clean install from NOTHING
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Aeronaut" wrote:

> I bought a Vista upgrade pack and formatted the hard disk for a clean
> install. Then the Vista upgrade disk told me it couldn't install because XP
> wasn't there. So I got out my XP disk and tried to reinstall that, but it
> won't install (apparently it's a bug that is known with this computer and
> many others, it needs SP2 to install, but it's a pre-SP2 XP disk). Why do
> Microsoft have to make it so difficult for genuine purchasers of their
> products?! Any idea how I can fix this? I don't need XP any more, I just
> want to install Vista, it should be simple...

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk
In order to install Windows Vista on a reformatted hard drive,
you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows Vista
and not an "Upgrade Version".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Aeronaut" <Aeronaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:490507E3-EEC4-4C4F-B78A-F9BCA6DC5D9C@microsoft.com...
I bought a Vista upgrade pack and formatted the hard disk for a clean
install. Then the Vista upgrade disk told me it couldn't install because XP
wasn't there. So I got out my XP disk and tried to reinstall that, but it
won't install (apparently it's a bug that is known with this computer and
many others, it needs SP2 to install, but it's a pre-SP2 XP disk). Why do
Microsoft have to make it so difficult for genuine purchasers of their
products?! Any idea how I can fix this? I don't need XP any more, I just
want to install Vista, it should be simple...
alstein

'Carey Frisch [MVP Wrote:
> ;3754943']In order to install Windows Vista on a reformatted hard
> drive,
> you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows Vista
> and not an "Upgrade Version".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "Aeronaut" <Aeronaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Vista upgrade pack and formatted the hard disk for a clean
> install. Then the Vista upgrade disk told me it couldn't install
> because XP
> wasn't there. So I got out my XP disk and tried to reinstall that, but
> it
> won't install (apparently it's a bug that is known with this computer
> and
> many others, it needs SP2 to install, but it's a pre-SP2 XP disk). Why
> do
> Microsoft have to make it so difficult for genuine purchasers of their
> products?! Any idea how I can fix this? I don't need XP any more, I
> just
> want to install Vista, it should be simple...

Sorry for budding in. I currently am using Windows Vista Ultimate
(upgrade version) on my desktop. As my hard drive is short of space, I
am planning to upgrade to a larger drive. Is there any way for me to
install Vista on my new drive? Its not a new computer, so I don't see
why I should have to buy a new full version of Vista. I've heard about
"cloning" the old drive contents to the new, but this is all quite new
to me. Thanks.

--
alstein
alstein's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39521

http://forums.techarena.in

JColt

Re: How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk

If you're wishing to have a completely fresh copy of Windows Vista on
the computer and do not yet have Windows 2000 or XP installed on the
computer you can do one of the two below recommendations. Both of these
options will require that you install an OS twice. We recommend for most
users to follow the first workaround recommendation.

Boot the Windows Vista CD and start the Windows Vista setup.
When prompted to enter the product key for activation do not enter your
activation key and click Next.
You will then get a Install Windows prompt asking if you want to enter
your product key now. Click No.
Select the edition of Windows XP you've purchased, check the box "I
have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased" and click Next.
Once the Setup has been completed and you're in Windows Vista start the
Windows setup again either by ejecting and entering the CD again or by
double clicking the CD drive in My computer.
During the Windows Vista setup when prompted for the activation key
this time enter it.
When prompted to do a Upgrade or Custom install select Custom and
perform a clean Windows Vista install.
or

Delete the partition and reinstall Windows 2000 or Windows XP using the
2000 / XP CD.
After 2000 or XP has been installed update the operating systems with
all the latest Windows updates
Then Install Windows Vista Upgrade or do the Custom install and perform
a clean Windows Vista install.
Or if you have Windows 2000 or XP installed on the computer, but want
to have a clean install (removing all settings and programs) during the
Windows Vista install select the option for Custom install during the
installation.

--
JColt
SCSIraidGURU

Re: How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk

Boot up your Vista CD. Remove the C: partition. Restart. It will
prompt you to install the full OS CD, if you have an upgrade CD for your
previous OS. You just insert your full OS CD and when prompted switch
back. It is called security for Microsoft. You can only upgrade a full
OS version. You can have issues with OEM full CDs. On some versions of
Windows you can't upgrade OEM. OEM must stay with the original box.
You can only upgrade full retail versions. I usually just buy full
retail versions of each OS so I can install the previous OS on another
box.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
alstein

JColt;3755836 Wrote:
> If you're wishing to have a completely fresh copy of Windows Vista on
> the computer and do not yet have Windows 2000 or XP installed on the
> computer you can do one of the two below recommendations. Both of
> these
> options will require that you install an OS twice. We recommend for
> most
> users to follow the first workaround recommendation.
>
> Boot the Windows Vista CD and start the Windows Vista setup.
> When prompted to enter the product key for activation do not enter
> your
> activation key and click Next.
> You will then get a Install Windows prompt asking if you want to enter
> your product key now. Click No.
> Select the edition of Windows XP you've purchased, check the box "I
> have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased" and click Next.
> Once the Setup has been completed and you're in Windows Vista start
> the
> Windows setup again either by ejecting and entering the CD again or by
> double clicking the CD drive in My computer.
> During the Windows Vista setup when prompted for the activation key
> this time enter it.
> When prompted to do a Upgrade or Custom install select Custom and
> perform a clean Windows Vista install.
> or
>
> Delete the partition and reinstall Windows 2000 or Windows XP using
> the
> 2000 / XP CD.
> After 2000 or XP has been installed update the operating systems with
> all the latest Windows updates
> Then Install Windows Vista Upgrade or do the Custom install and
> perform
> a clean Windows Vista install.
> Or if you have Windows 2000 or XP installed on the computer, but want
> to have a clean install (removing all settings and programs) during
> the
> Windows Vista install select the option for Custom install during the
> installation.
>

> --
> JColt

Thanks for the information. Would it also be possible to back up the
entire contents of my old hard drive and then restore it to the new
drive? Would I then have vista automatically restored as well?