Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista

Henrik Skak Pedersen

Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista
Hi,

I would like to do the equivalent change on Vista, nitice that it only is
the partition which is changing is two different locations:

From this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

To this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Timothy Daniels

Re: Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista
"Henrik Skak Pedersen" skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to do the equivalent change on Vista, nitice that it only is the
> partition which is changing is two different locations:
>
> From this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP Professional"
> /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> To this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP Professional"
> /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The easiest way is to install the Vistas in sequence and let the
installer set up the dual-boot for you. The next easiest way is to
download EasyBCD from www.NeoSmart.net and use it after
the two OSes are installed. (It gets worse, but I wouldn't bother
as there is no advantage in using cmd line utilities.) The Vista
boot menu doesn't identify partitions by number, but by the
number of sectors from the start of the hard drive, so a little
help from software is needed.

*TimDaniels*

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista
Download, install and configure VistaBootPro:
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Henrik Skak Pedersen" <skak@community.nospam> wrote in message news:e7SWI59uIHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Hi,

I would like to do the equivalent change on Vista, nitice that it only is
the partition which is changing is two different locations:

From this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

To this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Henrik Skak Pedersen

Re: Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista
I have now installed both EasyBCD and VistaBootPro but I have not been able
to find where I can change the partition setting in the two products.

You are mentioning something about sections, wher can I set that?

I am btw having Mac OS X in the two first partions,

Any ideas?

Henrik

"Henrik Skak Pedersen" <skak@community.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to do the equivalent change on Vista, nitice that it only is
> the partition which is changing is two different locations:
>
> From this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> To this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Timothy Daniels

Re: Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista
Dual-booting 2 installations of the same Vista is considered trivial -
If you have not yet installed the 2nd Vista, Vista's installer will offer
to set up the dual-boot menu for you if it can see the other Vista.
If you have already installed both Vistas to boot independently, you
can use EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to set up the dual-boot menu.
Here is a link to the documentation for EasyBCD:
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...mentation+Home

To answer your specific question, there is no need for you to know
what sector a partition begins with, as the utility (EasyBCD, VistaBootPro,
or Microsoft's cmd line utility - which very few people use) will figure
that out for you. To be more specific, Vista's boot menu contains
no references to partition numbers.

*TimDaniels*

"Henrik Skak Pedersen" wrote
> I have now installed both EasyBCD and VistaBootPro but I have
> not been able to find where I can change the partition setting in the
> two products.
>
> You are mentioning something about sections, wher can I set that?
>
> I am btw having Mac OS X in the two first partions,
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Henrik
>
> "Henrik Skak Pedersen" <skak@community.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to do the equivalent change on Vista, nitice that it only is the
>> partition which is changing is two different locations:
>>
>> From this:
>>
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
>> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>>
>> To this:
>>
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
>> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Timothy Daniels

Re: Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista
Here is a tutorial on how to dual-boot w/Vista after having installed XP (easy):
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...creenshots.htm

Here is a tutorial on how to dual-boot w/XP after having installed Vista (a
little harder).
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

(It takes a long time for these webpages to load.)

You can imagine how easy it is to dual-boot with 2 Vistas.

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
> Dual-booting 2 installations of the same Vista is considered trivial -
> If you have not yet installed the 2nd Vista, Vista's installer will offer
> to set up the dual-boot menu for you if it can see the other Vista.
> If you have already installed both Vistas to boot independently, you
> can use EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to set up the dual-boot menu.
> Here is a link to the documentation for EasyBCD:
> http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...mentation+Home
>
> To answer your specific question, there is no need for you to know
> what sector a partition begins with, as the utility (EasyBCD, VistaBootPro,
> or Microsoft's cmd line utility - which very few people use) will figure
> that out for you. To be more specific, Vista's boot menu contains
> no references to partition numbers.
>
> *TimDaniels*
>
> "Henrik Skak Pedersen" skrev igen:
>> I have now installed both EasyBCD and VistaBootPro but I have
>> not been able to find where I can change the partition setting in the
>> two products.
>>
>> You are mentioning something about sections, wher can I set that?
>>
>> I am btw having Mac OS X in the two first partions,
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Henrik
>>
>> "Henrik Skak Pedersen" skrev:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to do the equivalent change on Vista, nitice that it only is
>>> the partition which is changing is two different locations:
>>>
>>> From this:
>>>
>>> [boot loader]
>>> timeout=30
>>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS
>>> [operating systems]
>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
>>> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>>>
>>> To this:
>>>
>>> [boot loader]
>>> timeout=30
>>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS
>>> [operating systems]
>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP
>>> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

andy

Re: Modifying equivalent to boot.ini on Vista
Boot the computer from the Vista DVD, open a command prompt window
(shift F10), and execute the bootrec /rebuildbcd command.

Then use the bcdedit command to change the default OS, and to delete
the old Vista entry.

On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:31:47 +0200, "Henrik Skak Pedersen"