Shortcuts

weasel dad

Shortcuts
Have laptop with windows vista. wife downloaded trial version of adobe
illustrator. i don't know what she did but all the shortcuts now open to one
program, including all shortcuts from desktop and start menu. properties of
shortcut point to correct start file. all shortcuts are overlaid with same
icon. if i load a new shortcut, all icons change to that icon and open only
that program. she restarted computer several times before i got to it.
John Inzer

Re: Shortcuts
weasel dad wrote:
> Have laptop with windows vista. wife downloaded trial version of adobe
> illustrator. i don't know what she did but all the shortcuts now open
> to one program, including all shortcuts from desktop and start menu.
> properties of shortcut point to correct start file. all shortcuts are
> overlaid with same icon. if i load a new shortcut, all icons change
> to that icon and open only that program. she restarted computer
> several times before i got to it.

=================================
Did you try doing a System Restore to a
time before the Adobe software was installed?

Windows Vista -
System Restore:
frequently asked questions
http://tinyurl.com/u6z5p
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb3f01033.mspx

Windows Vista -
How to Do a System Restore in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2bdvvv
or...
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

Using Windows Vista
System Restore
http://tinyurl.com/2qhd77
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ystem-restore/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Brink

Re: Shortcuts

weasel dad;718909 Wrote:
> Have laptop with windows vista. wife downloaded trial version of adobe
> illustrator. i don't know what she did but all the shortcuts now open
> to one
> program, including all shortcuts from desktop and start menu.
> properties of
> shortcut point to correct start file. all shortcuts are overlaid with
> same
> icon. if i load a new shortcut, all icons change to that icon and open
> only
> that program. she restarted computer several times before i got to it.

Hi Weasel Dad,

This may be able to restore the shortcut associations back to their
defaults for you. Click on "lnk" in the box at this link to download the
"lnkfix_vista.zip" file that contains a REG file used to repair your
computer. The rest of the usage instructions for this file are at this
link to.

'File association fixes for Windows Vista'
(http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html)

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
freebonzo

Re: Shortcuts

Sorry - yes I know I'm being dense but - having found this reply to a
problem description which is precisely the same as mine (but with no
other solution in sight) - I thought I'd finally got to the solution to
this really irritating problem in a newly installed Vista Home edition.
But......I simply can't find the link to this download described as
"Click on "lnk" in the box at this link to download the
"lnkfix_vista.zip" file". I KNOW its perfectly obvious where it is -
but......

Many thanks

--
freebonzo
Brink

Re: Shortcuts

freebonzo;890344 Wrote:
> Sorry - yes I know I'm being dense but - having found this reply to a
> problem description which is precisely the same as mine (but with no
> other solution in sight) - I thought I'd finally got to the solution to
> this really irritating problem in a newly installed Vista Home edition.
> But......I simply can't find the link to this download described as
> "Click on "lnk" in the box at this link to download the
> "lnkfix_vista.zip" file". I KNOW its perfectly obvious where it is -
> but......
>
> Many thanks

Hello FreeBonzo,

That's ok. You would click on the "lnk" item in the table box. under
"File association fixes", at the site to download the "lnkfix_vista.zip"
file".

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
freebonzo

Re: Shortcuts

Many many thanks! This has (instantly) fixed this most irritating link
file problem which I have had since installing Vista onto a previously
innocent and unsuspecting XP. I'd started to give up the will to live!
Deepest gratitude.

--
freebonzo
Brink

Re: Shortcuts

freebonzo;890527 Wrote:
> Many many thanks! This has (instantly) fixed this most irritating link
> file problem which I have had since installing Vista onto a previously
> innocent and unsuspecting XP. I'd started to give up the will to live!
> Deepest gratitude.

You're welcome FreeBonzo. I'm happy to hear that it is sorted now.

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*