Is Windows VISTA sold with -->OEM<-- license ONLY for manufacturer

Nijmegen

Is Windows VISTA sold with -->OEM<-- license ONLY for manufacturer
....or is it also for users, who don't run a comapny?

I have bought a Windows VISTA DVD and when I received it, it had "OEM System
Builder Pack" written on it.

It also says: "EXCLUSIVELY for system builders."

And after some research on the Wikipedia I see that COMPANIES that sell PCs
normally buy OEM licenced software.

I gues users should buy a "retail" version. (NOT OEM versions)

Am I right?

Or is it OK to install it?

Because Wikipedia says the requirements are:"The requirements include:
automated methods of installation of the product; customization of the
installation to identify the OEM; first level technical support of the
product..etc."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origina...t_manufacturer)

I want to install it because there's NO 64-bit Vista Ultimate in my
language...excepting this OEM version. But I don't know what the consequences
might be...(I mean, I can't add info about customer support, my company's
name, etc....Because I'm just a user, not a manufacturer!)
Mick Murphy

RE: Is Windows VISTA sold with -->OEM<-- license ONLY for manufacturer
I have answered you in vista.general
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nijmegen" wrote:

> ...or is it also for users, who don't run a comapny?
>
> I have bought a Windows VISTA DVD and when I received it, it had "OEM System
> Builder Pack" written on it.
>
> It also says: "EXCLUSIVELY for system builders."
>
> And after some research on the Wikipedia I see that COMPANIES that sell PCs
> normally buy OEM licenced software.
>
> I gues users should buy a "retail" version. (NOT OEM versions)
>
> Am I right?
>
> Or is it OK to install it?
>
> Because Wikipedia says the requirements are:"The requirements include:
> automated methods of installation of the product; customization of the
> installation to identify the OEM; first level technical support of the
> product..etc."
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origina...t_manufacturer)
>
> I want to install it because there's NO 64-bit Vista Ultimate in my
> language...excepting this OEM version. But I don't know what the consequences
> might be...(I mean, I can't add info about customer support, my company's
> name, etc....Because I'm just a user, not a manufacturer!)

John

"Nijmegen" <Nijmegen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ...or is it also for users, who don't run a comapny?
>
> I have bought a Windows VISTA DVD and when I received it, it had "OEM
> System
> Builder Pack" written on it.
>
> It also says: "EXCLUSIVELY for system builders."
>
> And after some research on the Wikipedia I see that COMPANIES that sell
> PCs
> normally buy OEM licenced software.
>
> I gues users should buy a "retail" version. (NOT OEM versions)
>
> Am I right?
>
> Or is it OK to install it?
>
> I want to install it because there's NO 64-bit Vista Ultimate in my
> language...excepting this OEM version. But I don't know what the
> consequences
> might be...(I mean, I can't add info about customer support, my company's
> name, etc....Because I'm just a user, not a manufacturer!)

You can install it.
However you are responsible for support.
Microsoft does not provide support for OEM versions.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Is Windows VISTA sold with -->OEM<-- license ONLY for manufacturer
OEM versions are for sale to the general public and, of course, you can use
them. Two caveats exist though. 1/ The software is tied to the PC you
original install it on (unlike a retail version which you can install on
another PC once the 'old' one has ceased to exist) and 2/ You get no support
from Microsoft.

Personally I much prefer to have a retail version because it gives me more
scope and it isn't tied to the first PC I install it on, I can install it on
any PC I buy in the future (so long as I physically remove it from the last
PC) As for support, well, my honest opinion is that you will get more sense
from people who use this (and other Vista related newsgroups) than you would
from the tech support guys at Dell, Gateway, HP and, I hate to say it,
Microsoft itself.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Nijmegen" <Nijmegen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ...or is it also for users, who don't run a comapny?
>
> I have bought a Windows VISTA DVD and when I received it, it had "OEM
> System
> Builder Pack" written on it.
>
> It also says: "EXCLUSIVELY for system builders."
>
> And after some research on the Wikipedia I see that COMPANIES that sell
> PCs
> normally buy OEM licenced software.
>
> I gues users should buy a "retail" version. (NOT OEM versions)
>
> Am I right?
>
> Or is it OK to install it?
>
> Because Wikipedia says the requirements are:"The requirements include:
> automated methods of installation of the product; customization of the
> installation to identify the OEM; first level technical support of the
> product..etc."
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origina...t_manufacturer)
>
> I want to install it because there's NO 64-bit Vista Ultimate in my
> language...excepting this OEM version. But I don't know what the
> consequences
> might be...(I mean, I can't add info about customer support, my company's
> name, etc....Because I'm just a user, not a manufacturer!)

Nijmegen

RE: Is Windows VISTA sold with -->OEM<-- license ONLY for manufacturer
The best thing to do is get the RETAIL version!
(Since I can't reinstall the OEM version on a NEW motherboard!)

Here's what a Microsoft employee replied:
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in OEM licensing. We realize that our licensing is
often confusing and let us try to help clarify this issue.

An upgrade or replacement of the motherboard is considered to result in a
"new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software
cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded
or replaced, then a new computer has been created and the license of new
operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to
acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement
motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s
replacement/equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license
agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The
EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer
and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular
PC. The System Builder is required to support the software on that individual
PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC with different
components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that
would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU
and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for
reasons other than defect replaced under warranty) a new PC is essentially
created. The original System Builder, therefore, cannot be expected to
support this new PC that they in effect, did not manufacture.

We hope this helps clarify why we have this licensing rule. For more
information on System Builder licensing please see
http://oem.microsoft.com/licensing_main.

Thank you,

Microsoft OEM Internet Business Support

http://oem.microsoft.com