> Had a virus on my computer. Friend of mine was able to wipe out my
> hardrive and start over, and reinstalled Vista, but my pc is not able to
> run vista
> properly. When I try to reinstall XP, it gives me an error message saying
> already have a higher windows version installed. How do I get Vista off
> my PC?
You are trying to install XP from within Vista and that won't work. You do
not need a boot floppy as suggested by the other poster. You simply need to
make sure your boot priority is set to boot from your CD/DVD drive first
and then boot from your XP install CD. See below for general information
about replacing Vista with XP.
A. On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:
1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.
2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.
3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.
4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.
5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
have any data you want, back it up first.
6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.
B. On a generic/home-built computer (from non-OEM company) - You will need
drivers for all your hardware. See the second link below for more details:
- Clean Install How-To
you will need on-hand
Elephant Boy Computers