Downgrade from Vista to XP

cmgfusa

Downgrade from Vista to XP
Had a virus on my computer. Friend of mine was able to wipe out my hardrive
and start over, and reinstalled Vista, but my pc is not able to run vista
properly. When I try to reinstall XP, it gives me an error message saying I
already have a higher windows version installed. How do I get Vista off my
PC?
propman

Re: Downgrade from Vista to XP
cmgfusa wrote:
> Had a virus on my computer. Friend of mine was able to wipe out my hardrive
> and start over, and reinstalled Vista, but my pc is not able to run vista
> properly. When I try to reinstall XP, it gives me an error message saying I
> already have a higher windows version installed. How do I get Vista off my
> PC?

Use a bootup disk (ie floppy or CD or whatever) which includes a
harddisk formatting program ( ie MS format.exe), then format the drive.
Install XP.

Check the following site for more info on boot disks:

< http://bootdisk.com/ >

Malke

cmgfusa wrote:

> Had a virus on my computer. Friend of mine was able to wipe out my
> hardrive and start over, and reinstalled Vista, but my pc is not able to
> run vista
> properly. When I try to reinstall XP, it gives me an error message saying
> already have a higher windows version installed. How do I get Vista off
> my PC?

You are trying to install XP from within Vista and that won't work. You do
not need a boot floppy as suggested by the other poster. You simply need to
make sure your boot priority is set to boot from your CD/DVD drive first
and then boot from your XP install CD. See below for general information
about replacing Vista with XP.

A. On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:

1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.

2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.

B. On a generic/home-built computer (from non-OEM company) - You will need
drivers for all your hardware. See the second link below for more details:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke wrote:
> You are trying to install XP from within Vista and that won't work. You do
> not need a boot floppy as suggested by the other poster.

> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To

Find it kinda ironic you would post these rascals at the same time! <grin>

FWIW....I posted one method of obtaining what the OP was asking and to
my mind, the best method. YMMV :-)
Antonio dos Reis Feitosa Neto

Re: Downgrade from Vista to XP
Boot from an MS-DOS disk and run FDISK /MBR on the boot drive, or use a
livecd from linux and erase the Master Boot Record (the first 512 bytes of
the disk) and the XP setup will run ok

Antonio
David B.

Re: Downgrade from Vista to XP
How is booting from floppy better than booting directly from the XP
installation CD? That actually adds time and unneeded steps.

--

----

David B. wrote:
> How is booting from floppy better than booting directly from the XP
> installation CD? That actually adds time and unneeded steps.

Floppy was only one of the alternatives....I recommended a boot disk.
Personally I prefer to start with a clean slate and that means to me
reformatting the harddrive so that no remains of the original files are
left on it.....old school, maybe, but a routine I've used over the 20+
years I've been involved with computers. To me that's a "clean
install"...YMMV. :-)

Malke

propman wrote:

> David B. wrote:
>> How is booting from floppy better than booting directly from the XP
>> installation CD? That actually adds time and unneeded steps.
>>

> Floppy was only one of the alternatives....I recommended a boot disk.
> Personally I prefer to start with a clean slate and that means to me
> reformatting the harddrive so that no remains of the original files are
> left on it.....old school, maybe, but a routine I've used over the 20+
> years I've been involved with computers. To me that's a "clean
> install"...YMMV. :-)

There is no need to use a boot disk, floppy or CD. The XP install CD has
everything you need to delete the partition(s), format, clean install. It
may be a comfortable routine for you to use a boot disk but it has not been
necessary to do this when installing Windows operating systems since Win2k.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Mick Murphy

Re: Downgrade from Vista to XP
You've not learnt anything in those "supposedly" 20 years involvement with
computers!
People like you will should be barred from here!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Malke wrote:
> propman wrote:
>
>> David B. wrote:
>>> How is booting from floppy better than booting directly from the XP
>>> installation CD? That actually adds time and unneeded steps.
>>>

>> Floppy was only one of the alternatives....I recommended a boot disk.
>> Personally I prefer to start with a clean slate and that means to me
>> reformatting the harddrive so that no remains of the original files are
>> left on it.....old school, maybe, but a routine I've used over the 20+
>> years I've been involved with computers. To me that's a "clean
>> install"...YMMV. :-)

> There is no need to use a boot disk, floppy or CD. The XP install CD has
> everything you need to delete the partition(s), format, clean install. It
> may be a comfortable routine for you to use a boot disk but it has not been
> necessary to do this when installing Windows operating systems since Win2k.
>
> Malke

Quite aware of this fact........<sigh>