Installing Windows Twice

mdagli1

Installing Windows Twice
I've currently got windows XP pro installed. (I've got the XP pro OS
installation disk here too)
Is it possible to install it again but on another partition/HDD?
(So I have XP installed on a partition, then installed again on another
partition create 2 places to boot from.)

And if I have it installed twice using the same XP install disk, could I
upgrade one of them using a Vista ultimate upgrade disk?

(This leaves me with XP pro on one partition and Vista on another.)

Am I allowed to do this?
Richard G. Harper

Re: Installing Windows Twice
No.

"mdagli1" <mdagli1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've currently got windows XP pro installed. (I've got the XP pro OS
> installation disk here too)
> Is it possible to install it again but on another partition/HDD?
> (So I have XP installed on a partition, then installed again on another
> partition create 2 places to boot from.)
>
> And if I have it installed twice using the same XP install disk, could I
> upgrade one of them using a Vista ultimate upgrade disk?
>
> (This leaves me with XP pro on one partition and Vista on another.)
>
> Am I allowed to do this?

David B.

Re: Installing Windows Twice
No your not, when you upgrade an XP installation to Vista, the XP license is
"absorbed" by the Vista upgrade, your not allowed to use it on a second
system.

--

----

"mdagli1" <mdagli1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've currently got windows XP pro installed. (I've got the XP pro OS
> installation disk here too)
> Is it possible to install it again but on another partition/HDD?
> (So I have XP installed on a partition, then installed again on another
> partition create 2 places to boot from.)
>
> And if I have it installed twice using the same XP install disk, could I
> upgrade one of them using a Vista ultimate upgrade disk?
>
> (This leaves me with XP pro on one partition and Vista on another.)
>
> Am I allowed to do this?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing Windows Twice
To install XP twice on your machine you will need two 'separate' licences'.
You can't use one licence to install two copies. Also when you upgrade from
XP to Vista you loose the licence from XP so it cannot be used to install XP
on another machine/partition.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"mdagli1" <mdagli1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've currently got windows XP pro installed. (I've got the XP pro OS
> installation disk here too)
> Is it possible to install it again but on another partition/HDD?
> (So I have XP installed on a partition, then installed again on another
> partition create 2 places to boot from.)
>
> And if I have it installed twice using the same XP install disk, could I
> upgrade one of them using a Vista ultimate upgrade disk?
>
> (This leaves me with XP pro on one partition and Vista on another.)
>
> Am I allowed to do this?

[Antonio Feitosa]

Re: Installing Windows Twice
It is possible, and may be even legal. Since the 2 OSes are on the same
machine they can not run at the same time. You are entitled to run XP pro on
one machine. And you are also entitled to run Vista on one machine using the
Vista AND the XP licences, since the Vista license is an updrage one.

The legal concept behind this is the "Open Book Concept" in the sense you
can not open a book in two places or in two pages at the same time.

Since the machine is the same, you can run Vista OR XP using the boot menu.

But to get this working may require a boot manager other than BCDEdit, or
use a 3rd setup disk borrowed from someone. Or to play some tricks with
bcdedit and maybe partition mgmt software...

"mdagli1" <mdagli1@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem
> I've currently got windows XP pro installed. (I've got the XP pro OS
> installation disk here too)
> Is it possible to install it again but on another partition/HDD?
> (So I have XP installed on a partition, then installed again on another
> partition create 2 places to boot from.)
>
> And if I have it installed twice using the same XP install disk, could I
> upgrade one of them using a Vista ultimate upgrade disk?
>
> (This leaves me with XP pro on one partition and Vista on another.)
>
> Am I allowed to do this?

propman

[Antonio Feitosa] wrote:
> It is possible, and may be even legal. Since the 2 OSes are on the same
> machine they can not run at the same time. You are entitled to run XP
> pro on one machine. And you are also entitled to run Vista on one
> machine using the Vista AND the XP licences, since the Vista license is
> an updrage one.

Unless you run one in Virtual Machine mode.......

> The legal concept behind this is the "Open Book Concept" in the sense
> you can not open a book in two places or in two pages at the same time.

Marty Feldman could....... <grin>
John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing Windows Twice
We have had problems like this during beta testing of Windows. Say, for
example, a problem occurs and you cannot access your current windows
environment. A quick solution is to do a side by side install. In other
words install the operating system to another partition solely for the
purpose of gaining access to important data that you cannot access on the
main partition because you are unable to boot to that copy of windows. Fine!
However, Microsoft say different. Do a side by side install, then recover
any data you need. After that remove the second install (or both installs)
and just install one copy.

'Open book concept' or not you 'cannot' run two instances (even on VM
software) of the same operating system without the appropriate licence for
'each' If you have a copy of Vista on drive C: and you want to put another
copy on drive D: (or on a VM) the you 'must' buy another licence. Every
single copy of the operating system on your PC needs a licence.

"[Antonio Feitosa]" <feitosa_neto_a_r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It is possible, and may be even legal. Since the 2 OSes are on the same
> machine they can not run at the same time. You are entitled to run XP pro
> on one machine. And you are also entitled to run Vista on one machine
> using the Vista AND the XP licences, since the Vista license is an updrage
> one.
>
> The legal concept behind this is the "Open Book Concept" in the sense you
> can not open a book in two places or in two pages at the same time.
>
> Since the machine is the same, you can run Vista OR XP using the boot
> menu.
>
> But to get this working may require a boot manager other than BCDEdit, or
> use a 3rd setup disk borrowed from someone. Or to play some tricks with
> bcdedit and maybe partition mgmt software...
>

> "mdagli1" <mdagli1@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> I've currently got windows XP pro installed. (I've got the XP pro OS
>> installation disk here too)
>> Is it possible to install it again but on another partition/HDD?
>> (So I have XP installed on a partition, then installed again on another
>> partition create 2 places to boot from.)
>>
>> And if I have it installed twice using the same XP install disk, could I
>> upgrade one of them using a Vista ultimate upgrade disk?
>>
>> (This leaves me with XP pro on one partition and Vista on another.)
>>
>> Am I allowed to do this?

Timothy Daniels

"mdagli1" wrote:
> I've currently got windows XP pro installed. (I've got the XP pro OS
> installation disk here too)
> Is it possible to install it again but on another partition/HDD?
> (So I have XP installed on a partition, then installed again on another
> partition create 2 places to boot from.)
>
> And if I have it installed twice using the same XP install disk, could I
> upgrade one of them using a Vista ultimate upgrade disk?
>
> (This leaves me with XP pro on one partition and Vista on another.)
>
> Am I allowed to do this?

"Allowed to" and "able to" are different concepts. :-)

*TimDaniels*