Upgrading from Premium SP1 to Ultimate Retail

mungogrubb

Upgrading from Premium SP1 to Ultimate Retail
How do you upgrade from Premium to Ultimate if the Premium version number is
newer than the Ultimate version number? When I try the upgrade to the
Ultimate DVD, the install says that the Premium install is a "newer operating
system" and then only allows a clean install, which isn't much fun. Is there
any way to tell the install to ignore the version numbers and just do it?
Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrading from Premium SP1 to Ultimate Retail
It is nothing to do with version numbers!

It is to do with windows updates that you have installed along the way.
With updates, your Premium is more up to date security and performance wise
than what is on the ultimate disk.

Only option is clean install.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"mungogrubb" wrote:

> How do you upgrade from Premium to Ultimate if the Premium version number is
> newer than the Ultimate version number? When I try the upgrade to the
> Ultimate DVD, the install says that the Premium install is a "newer operating
> system" and then only allows a clean install, which isn't much fun. Is there
> any way to tell the install to ignore the version numbers and just do it?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrading from Premium SP1 to Ultimate Retail
If you have installed Service Pack 1, you'll need to uninstall it
from Windows Vista Home Premium before you can proceed
with the upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate.

1/ Click the Windows Start button

2/ From the Start Menu, Click on Control Panel

3/ When the Control Panel window opens, Click on the Programs and Features icon.

4/ This now opens the Uninstall or Change program window

5/ On the left of the window you will see a list of Tasks.

6/ Click on the View Installed Updates link

7/ The Installed Updates window will now populate with all the Windows updates installed on your PC.

8/ From the list of available updates, Right click on the 'Service Pack 1' for Microsoft Windows option and select Uninstall.

9/ The service pack will now begin to uninstall. Please be patient, this may take some time.

10/ After the service pack has been uninstalled you will be asked to restart your computer. At this point, restart you PC.

11/ After you have restarted your PC the service pack will have been removed.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mungogrubb" wrote:

How do you upgrade from Premium to Ultimate if the Premium version number is
newer than the Ultimate version number? When I try the upgrade to the
Ultimate DVD, the install says that the Premium install is a "newer operating
system" and then only allows a clean install, which isn't much fun. Is there
any way to tell the install to ignore the version numbers and just do it?
Mick Murphy

Re: Upgrading from Premium SP1 to Ultimate Retail
Are you still hanging around here like the mongrel dog that you are!

I should have known; there is a bad smell in the air!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> If you have installed Service Pack 1, you'll need to uninstall it
> from Windows Vista Home Premium before you can proceed
> with the upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> 1/ Click the Windows Start button
>
> 2/ From the Start Menu, Click on Control Panel
>
> 3/ When the Control Panel window opens, Click on the Programs and Features icon.
>
> 4/ This now opens the Uninstall or Change program window
>
> 5/ On the left of the window you will see a list of Tasks.
>
> 6/ Click on the View Installed Updates link
>
> 7/ The Installed Updates window will now populate with all the Windows updates installed on your PC.
>
> 8/ From the list of available updates, Right click on the 'Service Pack 1' for Microsoft Windows option and select Uninstall.
>
> 9/ The service pack will now begin to uninstall. Please be patient, this may take some time.
>
> 10/ After the service pack has been uninstalled you will be asked to restart your computer. At this point, restart you PC.
>
> 11/ After you have restarted your PC the service pack will have been removed.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "mungogrubb" wrote:
>
> How do you upgrade from Premium to Ultimate if the Premium version number is
> newer than the Ultimate version number? When I try the upgrade to the
> Ultimate DVD, the install says that the Premium install is a "newer operating
> system" and then only allows a clean install, which isn't much fun. Is there
> any way to tell the install to ignore the version numbers and just do it?

Mike Hall - MVP

> Are you still hanging around here like the mongrel dog that you are!
>
> I should have known; there is a bad smell in the air!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you have installed Service Pack 1, you'll need to uninstall it
>> from Windows Vista Home Premium before you can proceed
>> with the upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> 1/ Click the Windows Start button
>>
>> 2/ From the Start Menu, Click on Control Panel
>>
>> 3/ When the Control Panel window opens, Click on the Programs and
>> Features icon.
>>
>> 4/ This now opens the Uninstall or Change program window
>>
>> 5/ On the left of the window you will see a list of Tasks.
>>
>> 6/ Click on the View Installed Updates link
>>
>> 7/ The Installed Updates window will now populate with all the Windows
>> updates installed on your PC.
>>
>> 8/ From the list of available updates, Right click on the 'Service Pack
>> 1' for Microsoft Windows option and select Uninstall.
>>
>> 9/ The service pack will now begin to uninstall. Please be patient, this
>> may take some time.
>>
>> 10/ After the service pack has been uninstalled you will be asked to
>> restart your computer. At this point, restart you PC.
>>
>> 11/ After you have restarted your PC the service pack will have been
>> removed.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience -
>> Windows Vista Enthusiast

>> "mungogrubb" wrote:
>>
>> How do you upgrade from Premium to Ultimate if the Premium version number
>> is
>> newer than the Ultimate version number? When I try the upgrade to the
>> Ultimate DVD, the install says that the Premium install is a "newer
>> operating
>> system" and then only allows a clean install, which isn't much fun. Is
>> there
>> any way to tell the install to ignore the version numbers and just do it?

Was there a need for you to make that statement?

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Nonny

Re: Upgrading from Premium SP1 to Ultimate Retail
On May 19, 3:30*pm, Mick the Mongrel
<MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Are you still hanging around here like the mongrel dog that you are!
>
> I should have known; there is a bad smell in the air!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
> "Carey Frisch *[MVP]" wrote:

I thought the bad smell was Mick the Mongrel's stale beer breath.