64 bit upgrade

RikkJ

64 bit upgrade
I got a new HP PC with 4 GBs of RAM, but only about 3 show up. I know that
this is because I'm running a 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium build, so is
there a way to upgrade to 64 bit without buying another copy of Vista?
LVTravel

Re: 64 bit upgrade
There will be an upgrade from MS available that is an upgrade to Business
Ultimate that would only cost an additional $159 IIRC. The information will
be located on the HP machine somewhere as I found it on my machine. They
(MS) will send you the CD and the new key but I would venture a guess that
this will only install on the machine that it is ordered from (OEM) and is
NOT a retail upgrade to Business Ultimate. Best upgrade price I have found
from other sources is around $200.

The MS web site that the URL takes you to doesn't specify too much other
than upgrading to Ultimate.

Anyone else out there that made that type of upgrade or knows more about it?

"RikkJ" <RikkJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got a new HP PC with 4 GBs of RAM, but only about 3 show up. I know that
> this is because I'm running a 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium build, so
> is
> there a way to upgrade to 64 bit without buying another copy of Vista?

Mick Murphy

RE: 64 bit upgrade
You can not upgrade 32bit to 64 bit, or the other way around!
You have to wipe the hard drive, and complete install!

You have a pre-installed OEM copy, and as such a cheaper alternative for you
would be to buy a 64bit OEM copy of vista, instead of retrail..
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"RikkJ" wrote:

> I got a new HP PC with 4 GBs of RAM, but only about 3 show up. I know that
> this is because I'm running a 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium build, so is
> there a way to upgrade to 64 bit without buying another copy of Vista?

Rick Rogers

Re: 64 bit upgrade
Hi,

First, once you install SP1 for Vista, you will see all the memory in the 32
bit version. Check with the manufacturer for suitability of installing SP1
on your system, you may need to update or reinstall certain system drivers.

Second, what you can do is exchange your 32-bit software for 64, but this is
best done through the system builder to ensure that you get drivers
appropriate for the hardware. Otherwise you can obtain 64-bit OEM media from
a source of your choosing and use your product key (it's valid for either 32
or 64 bit, you just have to choose the same version - Home Premium in this
case). You cannot use your product key with retail media.

Third, there is no upgrade process. You would have to wipe the drive and do
a clean installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/