Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help

The Patient

Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help
Hi,
I have had a corrupted system for some reason so had to remove everything
and restart. However. The Vista Product Key on the bottom of my Laptop has
faded so a few of the letters look unrecognisable. I have tried what I
believe it to be and it doesn't work. As I have not exactly lost my Product
Key, Is there a way to get this product key from somewhere without paying for
a new one ?? I have activated it with microsoft and provided my details so
should it be registered to me somewhere ??
Help !

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"The Patient" <ThePatient@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FF1723F-938D-4419-8A37-49C5AB2AA68A@microsoft.com...
Hi,
I have had a corrupted system for some reason so had to remove everything
and restart. However. The Vista Product Key on the bottom of my Laptop has
faded so a few of the letters look unrecognisable. I have tried what I
believe it to be and it doesn't work. As I have not exactly lost my Product
Key, Is there a way to get this product key from somewhere without paying for
a new one ?? I have activated it with microsoft and provided my details so
should it be registered to me somewhere ??
Help !

chinga69

Re: Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help

this will show you your product key

'RJL Software - Software - Utility - Windows Product Key Viewer'
(http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/...winproductkey/)

sorry wont work if you have reinstalled vista

--
chinga69

CHEERS CHINGA69
Malke

chinga69 wrote:

> this will show you your product key
>
> 'RJL Software - Software - Utility - Windows Product Key Viewer'
> (http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/...winproductkey/)
>
> sorry wont work if you have reinstalled vista

Key finders like that won't help the OP. The key finder will only show the
OEM's volume license key used for their image. The correct Product Key on
an OEM machine is always the one on the COA sticker.

To the OP: With OEM machines one usually doesn't need the Product Key unless
one forgets to create restore disks or has otherwise lost the OEM
installation media. Is that your situation? In that case, the best solution
is to contact the OEM and get replacement restore disks. This usually is
quite inexpensive.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Brink

Malke;714872 Wrote:
> chinga69 wrote:
>

> Key finders like that won't help the OP. The key finder will only show
> the
> OEM's volume license key used for their image. The correct Product Key
> on
> an OEM machine is always the one on the COA sticker.
>
> To the OP: With OEM machines one usually doesn't need the Product Key
> unless
> one forgets to create restore disks or has otherwise lost the OEM
> installation media. Is that your situation? In that case, the best
> solution
> is to contact the OEM and get replacement restore disks. This usually
> is
> quite inexpensive.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> Don't Panic!

Hi Malke,

I had a OEM product key number for a version of Vista I had before and
this program posted by Chinga69 above showed the correct product key
number, and not the same product ID number shown under System in Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...ey-number.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Malke

Brink wrote:

> I had a OEM product key number for a version of Vista I had before and
> this program posted by Chinga69 above showed the correct product key
> number, and not the same product ID number shown under System in Vista.

I'm not talking about generic OEM keys. Naturally the product key you see in
a key finder program will match the one on the COA if you use a generic
OEM.

However, unless the OP comes back with more information about the situation,
the issue is moot and the thread is dead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Guy seeking help

Re: Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help
I just prchased a laptop from a store. I couldnt find the product key. So I
decided to look underneath the laptop. I located all the serial numbers and
the product key. When I enter the product key I receive a message saying that
it's wrong. I made sure the letters and numbers were correct several times
but it still won't work. Can any help?
--
Guy seeking help

"Malke" wrote:

> Brink wrote:
> >
> > I had a OEM product key number for a version of Vista I had before and
> > this program posted by Chinga69 above showed the correct product key
> > number, and not the same product ID number shown under System in Vista.

> I'm not talking about generic OEM keys. Naturally the product key you see in
> a key finder program will match the one on the COA if you use a generic
> OEM.
>
> However, unless the OP comes back with more information about the situation,
> the issue is moot and the thread is dead.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Brink

Re: Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help

Hello,

The Product Key Number should be the one with 25 numbers and letters
broken up into 5 sections. The screenshots for the examples in this
tutorial may help you locate it better to.

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
JW

Re: Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help
You can use the following utility:

"Guy seeking help" <markslater1970@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just prchased a laptop from a store. I couldnt find the product key. So I
> decided to look underneath the laptop. I located all the serial numbers
> and
> the product key. When I enter the product key I receive a message saying
> that
> it's wrong. I made sure the letters and numbers were correct several times
> but it still won't work. Can any help?
> --
> Guy seeking help
>

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Brink wrote:
>> >
>> > I had a OEM product key number for a version of Vista I had before and
>> > this program posted by Chinga69 above showed the correct product key
>> > number, and not the same product ID number shown under System in Vista.

>> I'm not talking about generic OEM keys. Naturally the product key you see
>> in
>> a key finder program will match the one on the COA if you use a generic
>> OEM.
>>
>> However, unless the OP comes back with more information about the
>> situation,
>> the issue is moot and the thread is dead.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> Don't Panic!

David B.

Re: Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help
That product key is OEM, are you installing from an OEM installation disc?

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm