System will not boot after backing up with PC Restore

triple-u

System will not boot after backing up with PC Restore
Hi, I made a backup using the Vista Complete PC Restore utility. After the
backup was created on another hard drive, I continued to use my computer
flawlessly. It was not until I shutdown the computer and turned it back on
that the problems arised.

On bootup, Vista said it could not load Winload.exe, I tried my XP
partition, and it said it could not load /ntldr. I decided to put in m Vista
CD (Ultimate 64-bit), and use the Complete PC Restore utility to restore the
backup I had just created. This backup was my entire 500 GB hard drive with
a Vista partition, XP partition, and a storage partition. After the backup
was restored, it rebooted, but the same error occured. Could not load
winload.exe. I have used some other programs to see what was restored, and
it appears only the storage partition and part of the Vista partition was
restored. And none of the partitions are the same size as they were
previously.

I now do not know what to do as I have just lost over 300 GBs of data that I
tried to back up using Vista Complete PC Restore, instead, it created more
problems than it solved.

Is there a solution for problem or any tips on how I can restore my hard
drive. And what caused this problem?

Thanks
Mick Murphy

RE: System will not boot after backing up with PC Restore
Very confusing post!

Boot from the Vista DVD, and do a startup repair.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"triple-u" wrote:

> Hi, I made a backup using the Vista Complete PC Restore utility. After the
> backup was created on another hard drive, I continued to use my computer
> flawlessly. It was not until I shutdown the computer and turned it back on
> that the problems arised.
>
> On bootup, Vista said it could not load Winload.exe, I tried my XP
> partition, and it said it could not load /ntldr. I decided to put in m Vista
> CD (Ultimate 64-bit), and use the Complete PC Restore utility to restore the
> backup I had just created. This backup was my entire 500 GB hard drive with
> a Vista partition, XP partition, and a storage partition. After the backup
> was restored, it rebooted, but the same error occured. Could not load
> winload.exe. I have used some other programs to see what was restored, and
> it appears only the storage partition and part of the Vista partition was
> restored. And none of the partitions are the same size as they were
> previously.
>
> I now do not know what to do as I have just lost over 300 GBs of data that I
> tried to back up using Vista Complete PC Restore, instead, it created more
> problems than it solved.
>
> Is there a solution for problem or any tips on how I can restore my hard
> drive. And what caused this problem?
>
> Thanks

AJR

Re: System will not boot after backing up with PC Restore
Follow Mick's advice. Also verify the boot drive is being recognized in
BIOS.

Regarding "...to restore the backup I had just created. ..." your backup may
have included the "forthcoming" problem.

"triple-u" <tripleu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I made a backup using the Vista Complete PC Restore utility. After
> the
> backup was created on another hard drive, I continued to use my computer
> flawlessly. It was not until I shutdown the computer and turned it back
> on
> that the problems arised.
>
> On bootup, Vista said it could not load Winload.exe, I tried my XP
> partition, and it said it could not load /ntldr. I decided to put in m
> Vista
> CD (Ultimate 64-bit), and use the Complete PC Restore utility to restore
> the
> backup I had just created. This backup was my entire 500 GB hard drive
> with
> a Vista partition, XP partition, and a storage partition. After the
> backup
> was restored, it rebooted, but the same error occured. Could not load
> winload.exe. I have used some other programs to see what was restored,
> and
> it appears only the storage partition and part of the Vista partition was
> restored. And none of the partitions are the same size as they were
> previously.
>
> I now do not know what to do as I have just lost over 300 GBs of data that
> tried to back up using Vista Complete PC Restore, instead, it created more
> problems than it solved.
>
> Is there a solution for problem or any tips on how I can restore my hard
> drive. And what caused this problem?
>
> Thanks

triple-u

Re: System will not boot after backing up with PC Restore
Thanks for the replies, but startup repair does not work. It does not find
my current installation.

Also, could you expand on what the forthcoming problem is?

Sorry if my post was confusing, basically my problem is that I made a backup
of the PC, but after reboot, it appears the backup wiped out some partitions
and some windows files.

Thanks