Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update

Larry S.

Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update
I have two computers running Vista Home Premium. When Service Pack 1 came
out, my desktop, which is a clone I built myself, downloaded and installed
Service Pack 1 without any problem, but my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop seems
oblivious to Service Pack 1's existence. Although automatic update is on
both computers with similar settings (full automatic update), and the laptop
has downloaded a number of updates since then and keeps telling me the
computer is up to date, I can't help wondering why Service Pack 1 hasn't
downloaded and installed, and whether I should install it manually or just
assume the computer has a good reason to not install it and leave it alone.
Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Larry S
DL

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update
Learn how to cross post, as apposed to multi post

"Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two computers running Vista Home Premium. When Service Pack 1 came
> out, my desktop, which is a clone I built myself, downloaded and installed
> Service Pack 1 without any problem, but my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop
> seems
> oblivious to Service Pack 1's existence. Although automatic update is on
> both computers with similar settings (full automatic update), and the
> laptop
> has downloaded a number of updates since then and keeps telling me the
> computer is up to date, I can't help wondering why Service Pack 1 hasn't
> downloaded and installed, and whether I should install it manually or just
> assume the computer has a good reason to not install it and leave it
> alone.
> Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> Larry S

Larry S.

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update
Can you explain what you mean?
--
Larry S

"DL" wrote:

> Learn how to cross post, as apposed to multi post
>
> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two computers running Vista Home Premium. When Service Pack 1 came
> > out, my desktop, which is a clone I built myself, downloaded and installed
> > Service Pack 1 without any problem, but my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop
> > seems
> > oblivious to Service Pack 1's existence. Although automatic update is on
> > both computers with similar settings (full automatic update), and the
> > laptop
> > has downloaded a number of updates since then and keeps telling me the
> > computer is up to date, I can't help wondering why Service Pack 1 hasn't
> > downloaded and installed, and whether I should install it manually or just
> > assume the computer has a good reason to not install it and leave it
> > alone.
> > Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
> > --
> > Larry S

Dwarf

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update
Hi Larry,

Cross posting and multi posting are the same yet different. In both cases,
your post appears in more than one group. However, the biggest difference is
that when you cross post, a reply to your post in any of the groups is
automatically added to your posts in the other group(s). That way, you can
follow the replies to your post from any of the groups that you have entered
it into. A reply to a multi posted thread only appears in the group in which
it was posted. To crosspost, click on 'Advanced Options' at the bottom of the
text input dialogue. You then need to enter the newsgroup name(s) into the
dialogue box. To find out the name that needs to be inserted, hover over the
groups in the left hand column (you may need to give this focus first). The
tool tip that appears is the name that needs to be inserted. For example,
this group is 'microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup ' and
'Windows Vista General Discussion' is
'microsoft.public.windows.vista.general'. Each name should be separated by a
comma.
Dwarf

"Larry S." wrote:

> Can you explain what you mean?
> --
> Larry S
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
> > Learn how to cross post, as apposed to multi post
> >
> > "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have two computers running Vista Home Premium. When Service Pack 1 came
> > > out, my desktop, which is a clone I built myself, downloaded and installed
> > > Service Pack 1 without any problem, but my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop
> > > seems
> > > oblivious to Service Pack 1's existence. Although automatic update is on
> > > both computers with similar settings (full automatic update), and the
> > > laptop
> > > has downloaded a number of updates since then and keeps telling me the
> > > computer is up to date, I can't help wondering why Service Pack 1 hasn't
> > > downloaded and installed, and whether I should install it manually or just
> > > assume the computer has a good reason to not install it and leave it
> > > alone.
> > > Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
> > > --
> > > Larry S

Larry S.

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update
Hi "Dwarf",

Thanks for your reply. It was extremely helpful. I'll give that a try next
time I need to post a question.
--
Larry S

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Cross posting and multi posting are the same yet different. In both cases,
> your post appears in more than one group. However, the biggest difference is
> that when you cross post, a reply to your post in any of the groups is
> automatically added to your posts in the other group(s). That way, you can
> follow the replies to your post from any of the groups that you have entered
> it into. A reply to a multi posted thread only appears in the group in which
> it was posted. To crosspost, click on 'Advanced Options' at the bottom of the
> text input dialogue. You then need to enter the newsgroup name(s) into the
> dialogue box. To find out the name that needs to be inserted, hover over the
> groups in the left hand column (you may need to give this focus first). The
> tool tip that appears is the name that needs to be inserted. For example,
> this group is 'microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup ' and
> 'Windows Vista General Discussion' is
> 'microsoft.public.windows.vista.general'. Each name should be separated by a
> comma.
> Dwarf
>
> "Larry S." wrote:
>
> > Can you explain what you mean?
> > --
> > Larry S
> >

> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > Learn how to cross post, as apposed to multi post

Dwarf

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update
Hi Larry,

I hope that made sense to you. To answer your original question, have you
tried manually downloading the standalone version of SP1 and then installing
it that way? I enclose links for all standalone versions of SP1, just pick
the appropriate one. You can save the 32-bit versions onto a CD, however,
because of their size, the 64-bit versions will need saving onto a DVD.
Dwarf

32-bit, 5 language
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-CB3D06D12674

32-bit, All language
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...A-09146A0BA746

64-bit, 5 language
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...B-D71EDA5EC07C

64-bit, All language
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-dc0626dcdf10

"Larry S." wrote:

> Hi "Dwarf",
>
> Thanks for your reply. It was extremely helpful. I'll give that a try next
> time I need to post a question.
> --
> Larry S
>

> "Dwarf" wrote:
>
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > Cross posting and multi posting are the same yet different. In both cases,
> > your post appears in more than one group. However, the biggest difference is
> > that when you cross post, a reply to your post in any of the groups is
> > automatically added to your posts in the other group(s). That way, you can
> > follow the replies to your post from any of the groups that you have entered
> > it into. A reply to a multi posted thread only appears in the group in which
> > it was posted. To crosspost, click on 'Advanced Options' at the bottom of the
> > text input dialogue. You then need to enter the newsgroup name(s) into the
> > dialogue box. To find out the name that needs to be inserted, hover over the
> > groups in the left hand column (you may need to give this focus first). The
> > tool tip that appears is the name that needs to be inserted. For example,
> > this group is 'microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup ' and
> > 'Windows Vista General Discussion' is
> > 'microsoft.public.windows.vista.general'. Each name should be separated by a
> > comma.
> > Dwarf
> >
> > "Larry S." wrote:
> >
> > > Can you explain what you mean?
> > > --
> > > Larry S

Larry S.

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 and automatic update
Thanks. I'm wondering, though, if I should download it, since I am not
currently having any problems, and since starting to post my concerns, I've
seen a number of posts regarding problems beginning after the service pack
was installed.

I actually did have one problem with the installation of the service pack on
my desktop. I started getting blue screen crashes, and when it did boot up
got messages about a driver problem with Conexant. I disabled my fax modem,
and have not had any problems since then, except for not being able to fax
directly from my computer. I checked with Conexant and they said their
software was for a temporary fix only, and I should go to my modem
manufacturer. I went to the Broadxent site, and tried to download the
correct driver, but keep getting page error messages. Do you know anything
about that? Is Broadxent still in business? Also considering that, would
you recommend I take the risk of downloading to my laptop, or that I wait for
awhile until any bugs get worked out?

Thanks for your helpful information.
--
Larry S