SP1 Key With x64 Business Media?
I've got a copy of Vista Business RTM (have both 32 and x64 media).
I'm trying to install an x64 copy of Home Premium. The Home Premium key is
for a retail Upgrade.
I know the key is valid (it's retail from amazon and I checked the key on
the order alt-media page).
Has MS set it up so that you cannot use an SP1 key with RTM media?
In case you're supposed to be able to do that, I've tried all of the
following, with no luck:
1. boot from dvd and enter key (says key is invalid)
2. Run setup from within XP-Pro and enter key (second verse, same as the
3. Boot from dvd Install Home Premium without a key and enter the key after
OOBE (same results)
4. Boot Dvd, Install home premium, then attempt in place upgrade over the
home premium install (still wont' let me enter the key during setup).
5. From step 4, install without a key and then try again to enter the key
OOBE (same results).
6. Fire up my XP-Business x32 and attempt to install home premium. Can't do
it from within x32, so tried a reboot....still wouldn't accept the key.
7. For kicks, I pulled out my vista business x32 media and ran setup from
within both XP and Vista Business. Still said key wasn't valid.
If I have to order alt-media (again), I'll do it, but I find it terribly
frustrating that I'm having to jump through all these hoops to install an OS.