Vista Home Page

cemhlm

Vista Home Page
On installation of Vista on my Lenovo Laptop the homepage in IE was set to
Lenovo, I have changed this to BBC/NEWS and set this to be the only homepage
I want.

However at least 2-3 times each day it reverts back to Lenovo homeppage, I
then have to reset it back to BBC/News.

I ideas why this is happening.
DL

Re: Vista Home Page
You can set a second home page in a new tab
Thats a quick solution

"cemhlm" <cemhlm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On installation of Vista on my Lenovo Laptop the homepage in IE was set to
> Lenovo, I have changed this to BBC/NEWS and set this to be the only
> homepage
> I want.
>
> However at least 2-3 times each day it reverts back to Lenovo homeppage, I
> then have to reset it back to BBC/News.
>
> I ideas why this is happening.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Home Page
Did you click Apply before OK when setting it?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"cemhlm" wrote:

> On installation of Vista on my Lenovo Laptop the homepage in IE was set to
> Lenovo, I have changed this to BBC/NEWS and set this to be the only homepage
> I want.
>
> However at least 2-3 times each day it reverts back to Lenovo homeppage, I
> then have to reset it back to BBC/News.
>
> I ideas why this is happening.

cemhlm

RE: Vista Home Page
There is no apply option in Vista, all I get is "Do I want this page to be my
only homepage" YES or NO, no apply option is shown.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Did you click Apply before OK when setting it?
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "cemhlm" wrote:
>
> > On installation of Vista on my Lenovo Laptop the homepage in IE was set to
> > Lenovo, I have changed this to BBC/NEWS and set this to be the only homepage
> > I want.
> >
> > However at least 2-3 times each day it reverts back to Lenovo homeppage, I
> > then have to reset it back to BBC/News.
> >
> > I ideas why this is happening.

Malke

Re: Vista Home Page
cemhlm wrote:

> On installation of Vista on my Lenovo Laptop the homepage in IE was set to
> Lenovo, I have changed this to BBC/NEWS and set this to be the only
> homepage I want.
>
> However at least 2-3 times each day it reverts back to Lenovo homeppage, I
> then have to reset it back to BBC/News.
>
> I ideas why this is happening.

Two ideas - 1) Lenovo has been naughty and locked your homepage (Bad
Behavior); 2) and/or you have a security program that is preventing changes
to your homepage. The latter is quite common and can be found in various
security programs such as Norton, McAfee, Spybot Search & Destroy,
Ad-aware, etc. So you should check to see what you have installed first.

For 1), I have these notes on how to modify Registry settings to remove the
unlocking. These notes were for XP so I don't know if they will work in
Vista. Please be very careful working in the Registry; a mistake can hose
your Windows installation.

Start/Run/Regedit (in Vista, Start Orb>Search box>type: regedit)
When Regedit appears in Results above, right-click it and run as
Administrator. You should export any keys you are going to change first so
you can restore them if things go amiss.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Control
Panel\HomePage

In the right-hand panel, right-click the HomePage value and select Modify.
Change the value to: 00 00 00 00

Also see these keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] "Start Page"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]
- DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet
Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

Change the values to 00 00 00 00.

Malke
--
MS-MVP