Vista dual booting

Neil

Vista dual booting
hi
I have a pc running win xp media centre
mp pc is dual core amd 64 bit 5200+ 2gb ram nvidia pcie 256mb graphics
my hard disk is partitioned and xp is installed on the first partition
I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bit on the second partition

The vista installation will not complete I get an error when it is
completing setup, saying that the pc shut down before installation was
completed & the installation can not continue.

The pc works fine under XP, are there any known installation issues with a
Vista XP dual boot system?

Thanks

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista dual booting
You don't say HOW you are trying to install it!!!
That does help here!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Neil" wrote:

> hi
> I have a pc running win xp media centre
> mp pc is dual core amd 64 bit 5200+ 2gb ram nvidia pcie 256mb graphics
> my hard disk is partitioned and xp is installed on the first partition
> I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bit on the second partition
>
> The vista installation will not complete I get an error when it is
> completing setup, saying that the pc shut down before installation was
> completed & the installation can not continue.
>
> The pc works fine under XP, are there any known installation issues with a
> Vista XP dual boot system?
>
> Thanks

Neil

RE: Vista dual booting
Sorry about that!

Installing by booting from Vista OEM DVD onto 2nd partition of HDD
XP still works fine on first partition.

Thanks

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You don't say HOW you are trying to install it!!!
> That does help here!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Neil" wrote:
>
> > hi
> > I have a pc running win xp media centre
> > mp pc is dual core amd 64 bit 5200+ 2gb ram nvidia pcie 256mb graphics
> > my hard disk is partitioned and xp is installed on the first partition
> > I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bit on the second partition
> >
> > The vista installation will not complete I get an error when it is
> > completing setup, saying that the pc shut down before installation was
> > completed & the installation can not continue.
> >
> > The pc works fine under XP, are there any known installation issues with a
> > Vista XP dual boot system?
> >
> > Thanks

sherwindu

Re: Vista dual booting

Mick Murphy wrote:

> You don't say HOW you are trying to install it!!!
> That does help here!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

What about recommendations for going the other way. Installing Windows 2000
onto
a Vista machine as a dual boot?

Sherwin

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista dual booting
Neil,; posters here report weird things installing 64 bit vista.
1. is having more than 2gig of RAM; that is not your problem
2. A supposedly good graphics card is often reported here as causing
probs(incompatibility!).
Can you try taking it out to install vista, use generic,, then reinstall it
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Neil" wrote:

> Sorry about that!
>
> Installing by booting from Vista OEM DVD onto 2nd partition of HDD
> XP still works fine on first partition.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > You don't say HOW you are trying to install it!!!
> > That does help here!
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >

> > "Neil" wrote:
> >
> > > hi
> > > I have a pc running win xp media centre
> > > mp pc is dual core amd 64 bit 5200+ 2gb ram nvidia pcie 256mb graphics
> > > my hard disk is partitioned and xp is installed on the first partition
> > > I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bit on the second partition
> > >
> > > The vista installation will not complete I get an error when it is
> > > completing setup, saying that the pc shut down before installation was
> > > completed & the installation can not continue.
> > >
> > > The pc works fine under XP, are there any known installation issues with a
> > > Vista XP dual boot system?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Neil

RE: Vista dual booting
Thanks for your reply.
Tried removing video card and using standard onboard video.
Installation still fails and pc continually restarts with same error message
(windows unexpected shutdown)

Thanks

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Neil,; posters here report weird things installing 64 bit vista.
> 1. is having more than 2gig of RAM; that is not your problem
> 2. A supposedly good graphics card is often reported here as causing
> probs(incompatibility!).
> Can you try taking it out to install vista, use generic,, then reinstall it
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Neil" wrote:
>
> > Sorry about that!
> >
> > Installing by booting from Vista OEM DVD onto 2nd partition of HDD
> > XP still works fine on first partition.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > You don't say HOW you are trying to install it!!!
> > > That does help here!
> > > --
> > > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Neil

RE: Vista dual booting
Got it sorted now
Think it was an unsupported network card.
Removed video & network cards & reduced memory voltage - (got from another
post)

Seems to be working ok now, thanks for assistance