Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Trouble transfering a drive to Vista over a LAN

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2008
sherwindu
 

Posts: n/a
Trouble transfering a drive to Vista over a LAN
I am trying to copy my entire C drive from a Windows 2000 system
to a Vista machine via a Linksys router. I tried doing it with a drag and
drop on the Vista machine, but it only copied about 10% of the
files. I suppose it is a permissions thing. The files I want are under a
user sign on on the 2000 machine, in a FAT32 partition. The target
folder is also a FAT32 partition on the VISTA machine. Vista has
some problems accessing FAT32 files. Also, I would like to get a
complete image of the C drive, including folders and sub-folders.
The folders I was able to transfer were all mixed up.

Can I do this over a WORKGROUP connection? I have a collection
of data and programs I would like to save on the Vista machine.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2008
DL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trouble transfering a drive to Vista over a LAN
I have to ask, what is the purpose of copying the win2k C drive to your
Vista PC.
If its data files you simply copy, or drag and drop the files over the
network.
Its not neccessary to copy fat32 data files to a fat32 disk, they can be
copied to ntfs

"sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:482CDB8A.BF22DB04@comcast.net...
>I am trying to copy my entire C drive from a Windows 2000 system
> to a Vista machine via a Linksys router. I tried doing it with a drag and
> drop on the Vista machine, but it only copied about 10% of the
> files. I suppose it is a permissions thing. The files I want are under a
> user sign on on the 2000 machine, in a FAT32 partition. The target
> folder is also a FAT32 partition on the VISTA machine. Vista has
> some problems accessing FAT32 files. Also, I would like to get a
> complete image of the C drive, including folders and sub-folders.
> The folders I was able to transfer were all mixed up.
>
> Can I do this over a WORKGROUP connection? I have a collection
> of data and programs I would like to save on the Vista machine.
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2008
sherwindu
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trouble transfering a drive to Vista over a LAN


DL wrote:

> I have to ask, what is the purpose of copying the win2k C drive to your
> Vista PC.
> If its data files you simply copy, or drag and drop the files over the
> network.
> Its not neccessary to copy fat32 data files to a fat32 disk, they can be
> copied to ntfs
>


I am doing this for two reasons. One is to provide a convenient backup of my
2000 drive, which is on the verge of crashing. I could buy an external drive,
but
thought I could use the Vista computer for this purpose.

Secondly, I thought it would make it easier to convert programs and data to the
Vista
machine. I may decide to do a dual boot system of Vista and 2000, so having the
files
on theVista machine would make it easier. I was able to bring several folders
over with
the click and drag over the router. I guess some programs were missing because
Vista
would not accept them for compatibility reasons.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2008
DL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trouble transfering a drive to Vista over a LAN
There's more to copying a system drive than simply copying what you see,
your method simply wont work.
The simplest method is via a dedicated Image app, e.g. True Image or Ghost
You can, I believe, use xcopy with the appropriate switches

You cannot convert / move your win2k programs to be available to Vista, they
would need reinstalling in Vista.
You can move data to the Vista PC, you do not require a fat32 partition, In
fact I would not use a fat32 partition at all.

I'd suggest reformatting this partition as ntfs, then use a dedicated Image
Application. I'd also suggest, in addition, copying your data to the Vista
Documents, or other suitable folder.

As for attempting a dual boot, IMO only worthwhile if you are retiring the
win2k PC, and have apps that wont run under Vista. I'll also leave the 'how
to set up dual boot' to someone else.


"sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:482E6F0A.5E0D65FD@comcast.net...
>
>
> DL wrote:
>
>> I have to ask, what is the purpose of copying the win2k C drive to your
>> Vista PC.
>> If its data files you simply copy, or drag and drop the files over the
>> network.
>> Its not neccessary to copy fat32 data files to a fat32 disk, they can be
>> copied to ntfs
>>

>
> I am doing this for two reasons. One is to provide a convenient backup of
> my
> 2000 drive, which is on the verge of crashing. I could buy an external
> drive,
> but
> thought I could use the Vista computer for this purpose.
>
> Secondly, I thought it would make it easier to convert programs and data
> to the
> Vista
> machine. I may decide to do a dual boot system of Vista and 2000, so
> having the
> files
> on theVista machine would make it easier. I was able to bring several
> folders
> over with
> the click and drag over the router. I guess some programs were missing
> because
> Vista
> would not accept them for compatibility reasons.
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble transfering files to Vista over a LAN sherwindu microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 05-16-2008 01:29
transfering mail from computer to flash drive Michael Brown microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 11-21-2007 21:05
Transfering files from an internal hard drive. Roy's Domains . com microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 05-30-2007 04:02
Transfering Vista and contents to a new drive Greg microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 1 05-27-2007 02:10
Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive Scott Meyers microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 7 03-03-2007 06:57




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:21.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120