Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
PhilTheGap
 

Posts: n/a
Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
Hi there,

I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml for
my Elite RX480-A motherboard. Then the BIOS has been upgraded but the flash
fails because I had to set a jumper beforehand on the motherboard. I've
decided to wait, then after a while I reboot.

Now he PC is running but nothing at all appears on the screen. I'm stuck ! I
don't know what to do (I wrote from my office laptop).

What I don't understand is that I didn't flash anything...didn't I ?

Philippe

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
"PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml


Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Dow...nID=0&MenuID=6

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
PhilTheGap
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
Hi Gordon,
"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
>> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml

>
> Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?

Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
Dominic Payer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
Do you see anything at all when the system boots? If not, your BIOS is
erased or corrupted and you will need a new BIOS chip pre-flashed with the
BIOS version you want. You should get your local repairer to replace the
chip.

If you see the usual boot screen, try clearing the CMOS. You will need to
know and enter the correct BIOS settings for your system.

Flashing BIOSes is risky. I think failing to set the BIOS protection jumper
correctly let the flash utility erase the old BIOS but not write the new
one.



"PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
news:uj%23mXintIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi Gordon,
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
> news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
>> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
>>> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml

>>
>> Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?

> Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
Mike Hall - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
"PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
news:uj%23mXintIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi Gordon,
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
> news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
>> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
>>> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml

>>
>> Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?

> Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?



What to do next? You could start looking for a replacement motherboard..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
philo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse

"PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
news:uj%23mXintIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi Gordon,
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
> news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
> > "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> > news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
> >> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml

> >
> > Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?

> Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?
>



Contact the mfg of your motherboard to see if they can either reflash your
bios chip
or provide a replacement


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
DL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
Or visit your Laptop manu site to see if your system had any type of Bios
recovery option enabled

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:uFSZ8VotIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> news:uj%23mXintIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Gordon,
>> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
>> news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
>> > "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> > news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
>> >> Hi there,
>> >>
>> >> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
>> >> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml
>> >
>> > Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?

>> Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?
>>

>
>
> Contact the mfg of your motherboard to see if they can either reflash your
> bios chip
> or provide a replacement
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
Mike Hall - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
news:%23lORzeotIHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Or visit your Laptop manu site to see if your system had any type of Bios
> recovery option enabled
>
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:uFSZ8VotIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> news:uj%23mXintIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi Gordon,
>>> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
>>> news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
>>> > "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>>> > news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
>>> >> Hi there,
>>> >>
>>> >> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
>>> >> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml
>>> >
>>> > Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?
>>> Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?
>>>

>>
>>
>> Contact the mfg of your motherboard to see if they can either reflash
>> your
>> bios chip
>> or provide a replacement
>>
>>

>
>



The biggest problem is following onscreen instructions when there is nothing
displaying on the screen at all.

A primeval ISA video card would allow something on the screen in the event
of a bad BIOS flash, but one has to have a corresponding primeval ISA slot
on the motherboard of course.. :-)

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx




Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
And there is no ISA support in Vista so there is no legacy provision in
newer computers. So sad.

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
news:e9XMqiotIHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> news:%23lORzeotIHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Or visit your Laptop manu site to see if your system had any type of Bios
>> recovery option enabled
>>
>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> news:uFSZ8VotIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>>> news:uj%23mXintIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>> Hi Gordon,
>>>> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
>>>> news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
>>>> > "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>>>> > news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
>>>> >> Hi there,
>>>> >>
>>>> >> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
>>>> >> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml
>>>> >
>>>> > Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?
>>>> Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Contact the mfg of your motherboard to see if they can either reflash
>>> your
>>> bios chip
>>> or provide a replacement
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>
> The biggest problem is following onscreen instructions when there is
> nothing displaying on the screen at all.
>
> A primeval ISA video card would allow something on the screen in the event
> of a bad BIOS flash, but one has to have a corresponding primeval ISA slot
> on the motherboard of course.. :-)
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2008
Bob Knowlden
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse
Does your system have a jumper to clear the CMOS?

If so, give it a a try. (It does no harm. It returns the BIOS setup
parameters to their defaults.)

If you've done a bad BIOS flash, and the BIOS CMOS chip is socketed, it can
be replaced, rather than declaring your motherboard to be toast. Also, some
motherboard manufactures have a BIOS recovery function in place, but it's
very manufacturer dependent. If you can find a manual for your mainboard
(download one?), that's where you should look first.

Good luck.

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
news:uj%23mXintIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi Gordon,
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
> news:g0h3qo$cus$1@news.mixmin.net...
>> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> news:5D12D8CC-B186-4A0F-808A-3067B86E4494@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've tried to flash my BIOS. I've downloaded this
>>> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIO...BIOS-11f.shtml

>>
>> Why did you go there rather than the manufacturers website?

> Ok I'm foolish. But what can I do now ?


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to flash the BIOS...for the worse PhilTheGap microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 11 05-15-2008 23:51
Seems To Be Getting Worse!!! stillarfish microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-23-2008 17:01
Cannot flash BIOS on Vista 32 sjk1 microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 10 11-21-2007 15:49
Pure DOS to flash BIOS =?Utf-8?B?cmVuZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 16 04-18-2007 14:26
Will it get worse? Mark microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 04-16-2007 22:28




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:50.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120