Error 5 after joining domain....

PriusGeek

Error 5 after joining domain....
OK, here's one. I just received a new Dell D630 notebook that came
with a Vista Ultimate upgrade disk, so I went ahead and installed it.
Everything went just fine, no problems until I joined the machine to
our W2K3 domain. The first time I rebooted, all was well, and I was
able to use it, access resources, etc. However on the NEXT reboot,
when the system came up, none of the network interfaces would start,
but the system was otherwise functional. There was a balloon that said
to open the troubleshooter to see what happened. (please forgive me,
this may not be the exact name because this happened a few days ago
and I have since given up and rolled back to XP. Sigh.) However,
when I clicked on that, I get a message saying the service did not
start, and that I should manually start it from the services console.
When I checked it, sure enough, it was off, so I attempted to start
it. However, every time I tried this, I received an "Error 5", user
does not have sufficient priviliges. My account on the domain is a
Domain Admin, so that should not have been an issue. I logged out and
tried again as the local adimn with no difference. I tried to run the
services console as administrator, same problem.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any advice on how to troubleshoot
it? I've been experimenting with Vista for more than a year and have
never had a problem like this, so I'm stumped!

Thanks!
BirgerH

RE: Error 5 after joining domain....
Hey PriusGeek

The error 5 means that there is no access to the service.
I have had familar problems by installing SP1, there was no access to the
EventLog service - and no way to get it.
I found that in some way, the "windows/system 32" folder was taken over
ownership and permissions by the user "Thrusted Installer" (which I don't
thrust at all). Chancing the ownership and permissions back to my account
made the service run and made me install SP1.
I don't know if it will help your problem away - but it is worth a try?
--
BirgerH