2 'New' Installation MSKBs/EULA Change/Anytime Upgrade FAQ

Chad Harris

2 'New' Installation MSKBs/EULA Change/Anytime Upgrade FAQ
From Nick White's Vista Team Blog:

KB 932616: Installation choices for consumer versions of Windows Vista
(32-bit only)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616

KB 932795: Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows
Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

Also for some language problems:

You cannot upgrade certain language versions of Windows XP to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932856

EULA Changed on Anytime Upgrades:

From Nick White [MSFT]:

"Customers who purchase a retail copy of Windows Vista and then upgrade to
another version of Windows Vista using Windows Anytime Upgrade will be
affected by this modification, while all other WAU licensing terms remain
unchanged.

Now, those customers will be able to uninstall their upgraded copy of
Windows Vista and re-install it on another device (usually, but not always,
a PC). The number of device-to-device reassignments is no longer limited,
provided that Windows Vista has been uninstalled from the original device."

"Am I allowed to transfer my software from one device to another when I
upgrade using Windows Anytime Upgrade?"

Windows Anytime Upgrade: Installation Overview and FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...grade/faq.mspx

CH

Pecos

Re: 2 'New' Installation MSKBs/EULA Change/Anytime Upgrade FAQ

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> From Nick White's Vista Team Blog:
>
> KB 932616: Installation choices for consumer versions of Windows Vista
> (32-bit only)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616
>
> KB 932795: Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows
> Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/
>
> Also for some language problems:
>
> You cannot upgrade certain language versions of Windows XP to Windows
> Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932856
>
> EULA Changed on Anytime Upgrades:
>
> From Nick White [MSFT]:
>
> "Customers who purchase a retail copy of Windows Vista and then upgrade to
> another version of Windows Vista using Windows Anytime Upgrade will be
> affected by this modification, while all other WAU licensing terms remain
> unchanged.
>
> Now, those customers will be able to uninstall their upgraded copy of
> Windows Vista and re-install it on another device (usually, but not
> always, a PC). The number of device-to-device reassignments is no longer
> limited, provided that Windows Vista has been uninstalled from the
> original device."
>
> "Am I allowed to transfer my software from one device to another when I
> upgrade using Windows Anytime Upgrade?"
>
> Windows Anytime Upgrade: Installation Overview and FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...grade/faq.mspx
>
> CH

Thanks for posting that info. The KBs help to clear up a lot of the upgrade
/ clean install confusion.

The change in the Vista EULA for Anytime Upgrades is a wise move by
Microsoft. Consumers shouldn't be penalized with a more restrictive license
agreement when paying additional money for the 'privilege' to upgrade to a
different version.

--
Alan Norton
Reviews Including ABIT AN8 SLI, ECS P965T-A & Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H