dual boot problem

GS

dual boot problem
on a xp PRO pc, I installed a fresh copy of vista business edition. I must
have missed the option for dual boot, It did install on a separate partition
which was an empty E: for the XP system ( 4th partition on the large drive.
now the once E; drive is C; and what was C: is not the e: drive

there seem to be no setting for me to allow optionally boot into the old xp
pro which is still in the now active boot partition

I tried bcdedit but no luck
what should I do?

I prefer strictly Microsoft product as it is the standard here in this shop
you help is much appreciated

Timothy Daniels

Re: dual boot problem
Don't worry about the partition letter names. The new Vista
partition will call its own partition "C:" and the old XP's partition
"E:" *when Vista is running*. When you get XP running again,
it will call its own partition "C:" and the Vista partition "E:" *when
XP is running*. This will not be a problem as long as each of
the 2 OSes don't have shortcuts which include the letter names
of partitions other than its own.

As for correcting the BCD file so that you can use the Vista
boot manager to dual-boot between Vista and XP, this might
work by using bootrec with the /ScanOs or /RebuildBcd options.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Or use this procedure, starting at step 13:
http://windowssecrets.com/2008/02/14...t-Vista-and-XP
Either procedure would satisfy your preference for Microsoft.

Otherwise, I personally would use EasyBCD, downloadable at:
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
I'd check out the Add/Remove Entries and Configure Boot sections.

But be aware that I haven't used any of these procedures, so YOU
are the guinea pig. :-) Please report back on your success.

*TimDaniels*

"GS" wrote:
> on a xp PRO pc, I installed a fresh copy of vista business edition.
> I must have missed the option for dual boot, It did install on a
> separate partition which was an empty E: for the XP system
> (4th partition on the large drive). now the once E; drive is C;
> and what was C: is not the e: drive
>

> there seem to be no setting for me to allow optionally boot into
> the old xp pro which is still in the now active boot partition
>
> I tried bcdedit but no luck
> what should I do?
>
> I prefer strictly Microsoft product as it is the standard here in this
> shop you help is much appreciated

GS

Re: dual boot problem
thank you. I will give that a try
"Timothy Daniels" <NoSpam@SpamMeNot.com> wrote in message
> Don't worry about the partition letter names. The new Vista
> partition will call its own partition "C:" and the old XP's partition
> "E:" *when Vista is running*. When you get XP running again,
> it will call its own partition "C:" and the Vista partition "E:" *when
> XP is running*. This will not be a problem as long as each of
> the 2 OSes don't have shortcuts which include the letter names
> of partitions other than its own.
>
> As for correcting the BCD file so that you can use the Vista
> boot manager to dual-boot between Vista and XP, this might
> work by using bootrec with the /ScanOs or /RebuildBcd options.
>
> Or use this procedure, starting at step 13:

http://windowssecrets.com/2008/02/14...t-Vista-and-XP
> Either procedure would satisfy your preference for Microsoft.
>
> Otherwise, I personally would use EasyBCD, downloadable at:
> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
> I'd check out the Add/Remove Entries and Configure Boot sections.
>
> But be aware that I haven't used any of these procedures, so YOU
> are the guinea pig. :-) Please report back on your success.
>
> *TimDaniels*
>

> "GS" wrote:
> > on a xp PRO pc, I installed a fresh copy of vista business edition.
> > I must have missed the option for dual boot, It did install on a
> > separate partition which was an empty E: for the XP system
> > (4th partition on the large drive). now the once E; drive is C;
> > and what was C: is not the e: drive
> >

> > there seem to be no setting for me to allow optionally boot into
> > the old xp pro which is still in the now active boot partition
> >
> > I tried bcdedit but no luck
> > what should I do?
> >
> > I prefer strictly Microsoft product as it is the standard here in this
> > shop you help is much appreciated

GS

Re: dual boot problem
unfortunately neither bootrec /scanos nor /rebuildbcd option help me in
recovery mode, still only shows the only vista
on reboot
"Timothy Daniels" <NoSpam@SpamMeNot.com> wrote in message
> Don't worry about the partition letter names. The new Vista
> partition will call its own partition "C:" and the old XP's partition
> "E:" *when Vista is running*. When you get XP running again,
> it will call its own partition "C:" and the Vista partition "E:" *when
> XP is running*. This will not be a problem as long as each of
> the 2 OSes don't have shortcuts which include the letter names
> of partitions other than its own.
>
> As for correcting the BCD file so that you can use the Vista
> boot manager to dual-boot between Vista and XP, this might
> work by using bootrec with the /ScanOs or /RebuildBcd options.
>
> Or use this procedure, starting at step 13:
> http://windowssecrets.com/2008/02/14...t-Vista-and-XP
> Either procedure would satisfy your preference for Microsoft.
>
> Otherwise, I personally would use EasyBCD, downloadable at:
> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
> I'd check out the Add/Remove Entries and Configure Boot sections.
>
> But be aware that I haven't used any of these procedures, so YOU
> are the guinea pig. :-) Please report back on your success.
>
> *TimDaniels*
>

> "GS" wrote:
>> on a xp PRO pc, I installed a fresh copy of vista business edition.
>> I must have missed the option for dual boot, It did install on a
>> separate partition which was an empty E: for the XP system
>> (4th partition on the large drive). now the once E; drive is C;
>> and what was C: is not the e: drive
>>

>> there seem to be no setting for me to allow optionally boot into
>> the old xp pro which is still in the now active boot partition
>>
>> I tried bcdedit but no luck
>> what should I do?
>>
>> I prefer strictly Microsoft product as it is the standard here in this
>> shop you help is much appreciated

Timothy Daniels

Re: dual boot problem
Then it's time to try the 3rd approach (which is the usual approach)
and use EasyBCD. Here is a handy site to start reading about how
to use EasyBCD with setting up a multi-boot of XP or Linux with Vista:
http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dua...stepbystep.htm

*TimDaniels*

"GS" came back:
> unfortunately neither bootrec /scanos nor /rebuildbcd option help me in
> recovery mode, still only shows the only vista
> on reboot
>
> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
>> Don't worry about the partition letter names. The new Vista
>> partition will call its own partition "C:" and the old XP's partition
>> "E:" *when Vista is running*. When you get XP running again,
>> it will call its own partition "C:" and the Vista partition "E:" *when
>> XP is running*. This will not be a problem as long as each of
>> the 2 OSes don't have shortcuts which include the letter names
>> of partitions other than its own.
>>
>> As for correcting the BCD file so that you can use the Vista
>> boot manager to dual-boot between Vista and XP, this might
>> work by using bootrec with the /ScanOs or /RebuildBcd options.
>>
>> Or use this procedure, starting at step 13:
>> http://windowssecrets.com/2008/02/14...t-Vista-and-XP
>> Either procedure would satisfy your preference for Microsoft.
>>
>> Otherwise, I personally would use EasyBCD, downloadable at:
>> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
>> I'd check out the Add/Remove Entries and Configure Boot sections.
>>
>> But be aware that I haven't used any of these procedures, so YOU
>> are the guinea pig. :-) Please report back on your success.
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>>

>> "GS" wrote:
>>> on a xp PRO pc, I installed a fresh copy of vista business edition.
>>> I must have missed the option for dual boot, It did install on a
>>> separate partition which was an empty E: for the XP system
>>> (4th partition on the large drive). now the once E; drive is C;
>>> and what was C: is not the e: drive
>>>

>>> there seem to be no setting for me to allow optionally boot into
>>> the old xp pro which is still in the now active boot partition
>>>
>>> I tried bcdedit but no luck
>>> what should I do?
>>>
>>> I prefer strictly Microsoft product as it is the standard here in this
>>> shop you help is much appreciated

andy

Re: dual boot problem
If you want to use only Microsoft software,
execute the following four bcdedit commands to create dual boot:

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP
Professional"

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ntldr} device boot

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=H:
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{ntldr}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {71be6e6a-e883-11dc-bf08-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device boot
path \ntldr
description Windows XP Professional

C:\Windows\system32>

On Fri, 16 May 2008 19:18:06 -0600, "GS" <NOEmail@noJunk.net> wrote:

>unfortunately neither bootrec /scanos nor /rebuildbcd option help me in
>recovery mode, still only shows the only vista
> on reboot
>"Timothy Daniels" <NoSpam@SpamMeNot.com> wrote in message
>> Don't worry about the partition letter names. The new Vista
>> partition will call its own partition "C:" and the old XP's partition
>> "E:" *when Vista is running*. When you get XP running again,
>> it will call its own partition "C:" and the Vista partition "E:" *when
>> XP is running*. This will not be a problem as long as each of
>> the 2 OSes don't have shortcuts which include the letter names
>> of partitions other than its own.
>>
>> As for correcting the BCD file so that you can use the Vista
>> boot manager to dual-boot between Vista and XP, this might
>> work by using bootrec with the /ScanOs or /RebuildBcd options.
>>
>> Or use this procedure, starting at step 13:
>> http://windowssecrets.com/2008/02/14...t-Vista-and-XP
>> Either procedure would satisfy your preference for Microsoft.
>>
>> Otherwise, I personally would use EasyBCD, downloadable at:
>> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
>> I'd check out the Add/Remove Entries and Configure Boot sections.
>>
>> But be aware that I haven't used any of these procedures, so YOU
>> are the guinea pig. :-) Please report back on your success.
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>>

>> "GS" wrote:
>>> on a xp PRO pc, I installed a fresh copy of vista business edition.
>>> I must have missed the option for dual boot, It did install on a
>>> separate partition which was an empty E: for the XP system
>>> (4th partition on the large drive). now the once E; drive is C;
>>> and what was C: is not the e: drive
>>>

>>> there seem to be no setting for me to allow optionally boot into
>>> the old xp pro which is still in the now active boot partition
>>>
>>> I tried bcdedit but no luck
>>> what should I do?
>>>
>>> I prefer strictly Microsoft product as it is the standard here in this
>>> shop you help is much appreciated

Timothy Daniels

Re: dual boot problem
Which is Step 13, as I wrote, of:
http://windowssecrets.com/2008/02/14...ista-and-XPThe OP apparently prefers not to try this.*TimDaniels*"andy" wrote:> If you want to use only Microsoft software,> execute the following four bcdedit commands to create dual boot:>> C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP> Professional">> C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ntldr} device boot>> C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr>> C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast>> C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit>> Windows Boot Manager> --------------------> identifier {bootmgr}> device partition=H:> default {current}> displayorder {current}> {ntldr}> timeout 30>> Windows Boot Loader> -------------------> identifier {current}> device partition=C:> path \Windows\system32\winload.exe> description Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate> osdevice partition=C:> systemroot \Windows> resumeobject {71be6e6a-e883-11dc-bf08-806e6f6e6963}>> Windows Legacy OS Loader> ------------------------> identifier {ntldr}> device boot> path \ntldr> description Windows XP Professional>> C:\Windows\system32>>> On Fri, 16 May 2008 19:18:06 -0600, "GS" <NOEmail@noJunk.net> wrote:>>>unfortunately neither bootrec /scanos nor /rebuildbcd option help me in>>recovery mode, still only shows the only vista>> on reboot>>"Timothy Daniels" <NoSpam@SpamMeNot.com> wrote in message>>news:%23cWg4dMtIHA.1768@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx. gbl...>>> Don't worry about the partition letter names. The new Vista>>> partition will call its own partition "C:" and the old XP's partition>>> "E:" *when Vista is running*. When you get XP running again,>>> it will call its own partition "C:" and the Vista partition "E:" *when>>> XP is running*. This will not be a problem as long as each of>>> the 2 OSes don't have shortcuts which include the letter names>>> of partitions other than its own.>>>>>> As for correcting the BCD file so that you can use the Vista>>> boot manager to dual-boot between Vista and XP, this might>>> work by using bootrec with the /ScanOs or /RebuildBcd options.>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us>>>>>> Or use this procedure, starting at step 13:>>>http://windowssecrets.com/2008/02/14/01-Make-your-computer-dual-boot-Vista-and-XP>>> Either procedure would satisfy your preference for Microsoft.>>>>>> Otherwise, I personally would use EasyBCD, downloadable at:>>> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1>>> I'd check out the Add/Remove Entries and Configure Boot sections.>>>>>> But be aware that I haven't used any of these procedures, so YOU>>> are the guinea pig. :-) Please report back on your success.>>>>>> *TimDaniels*>>>>>>>>> "GS" wrote:>>>> on a xp PRO pc, I installed a fresh copy of vista business edition.>>>> I must have missed the option for dual boot, It did install on a>>>> separate partition which was an empty E: for the XP system>>>> (4th partition on the large drive). now the once E; drive is C;>>>> and what was C: is not the e: drive>>>>>>>>>>>> there seem to be no setting for me to allow optionally boot into>>>> the old xp pro which is still in the now active boot partition>>>>>>>> I tried bcdedit but no luck>>>> what should I do?>>>>>>>> I prefer strictly Microsoft product as it is the standard here in this>>>> shop you help is much appreciated>>>>>>>

forum.microsoft.com

Re: dual boot problem
thank you all, I will try Andy's first as I am expected to stick with
Microsoft