Cannot play DVD on Vista with Media Player

Jason Chen

Cannot play DVD on Vista with Media Player
I got the following message when playing DVDs on Vista home premium with
Windows Media Player. The same problem happens to media center.

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
installing an updated driver for your video card.

I can play those DVDs on PowerDVD or VLC player. I installed K-Lite codec.
It still doesn't work. It looks like it is not codec problem.

Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks for your help.

Canuck57

Re: Cannot play DVD on Vista with Media Player

"Jason Chen" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:P9adnR4AS91YybXVnZ2dnUVZ_qfinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>I got the following message when playing DVDs on Vista home premium with
>Windows Media Player. The same problem happens to media center.
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
> digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.
> Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
>
> I can play those DVDs on PowerDVD or VLC player. I installed K-Lite codec.
> It still doesn't work. It looks like it is not codec problem.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks for your help.

I think you are getting bit by the DRM component HDMI. You will learn to
curse those two acronyms. While touted as a feature, HDMI is a PITA to all
consumers pure and simple.

Could be your video card is not HDMI capable. I am not an HDMI expert, but
DVD, Video card and monitor need to be HDMI compliant or it either will not
work or degrade.

zeph317

Re: Cannot play DVD on Vista with Media Player
I am guessing it is a problem with your video card. I have a Geforce 8800 GT
and I play dvd's fine - actually they play great!

"Canuck57" wrote:

> "Jason Chen" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:P9adnR4AS91YybXVnZ2dnUVZ_qfinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> >I got the following message when playing DVDs on Vista home premium with
> >Windows Media Player. The same problem happens to media center.
> >
> > Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
> > digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.
> > Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
> >
> > I can play those DVDs on PowerDVD or VLC player. I installed K-Lite codec.
> > It still doesn't work. It looks like it is not codec problem.
> >
> > Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks for your help.

> I think you are getting bit by the DRM component HDMI. You will learn to
> curse those two acronyms. While touted as a feature, HDMI is a PITA to all
> consumers pure and simple.
>
> Could be your video card is not HDMI capable. I am not an HDMI expert, but
> DVD, Video card and monitor need to be HDMI compliant or it either will not
> work or degrade.

shawn vanleeuwen

RE: Cannot play DVD on Vista with Media Player
My computer is saying the same thing! I was wondering if you, Jason, found a
resolution to the problem at hand. I have a Gforce 8800 GTS 512 and a Intel
Quad CPU 6600 2.40 GHz so I am pretty sure that is enough speed to play my
dvd's. However my only concern is my monitor that I bought 10 or 15 years ago
its a sylvania 19". So what the other person wrote about having digital
players you need to have everything HDMI compadable. Could this my problem?
Any help would be great!

"Jason Chen" wrote:

> I got the following message when playing DVDs on Vista home premium with
> Windows Media Player. The same problem happens to media center.
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
> digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
> installing an updated driver for your video card.
>
> I can play those DVDs on PowerDVD or VLC player. I installed K-Lite codec.
> It still doesn't work. It looks like it is not codec problem.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks for your help.

bic

RE: Cannot play DVD on Vista with Media Player
I am replying to my own question here because I finnaly got it to work. I
took the adivce Canuck57 wrote about the compatibility of the DVD, Vidoe
Card, and MONITOR!!! Monitor is exclimated there only because thats the only
thing I didn't think of updating and there you have it. Automatically
updated in Device manager and after a quick reset "vooala!" (however you
spell it) So don't give up people who have having that same:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
installing an updated driver for your video card. "

It all matters the DVD to the CPU to the Video Card then finnaly to your
monitor... A lot of stuff it has to travel through to get to the screen.
Make sure EVERYTHING is updated is my only advice, not just the vidoe card,
which windows media player advises thats the only problem it could be. Had
to do a little more work finding out that but its worth it movies run awesome
on my computer now.

"shawn vanleeuwen" wrote:

> My computer is saying the same thing! I was wondering if you, Jason, found a
> resolution to the problem at hand. I have a Gforce 8800 GTS 512 and a Intel
> Quad CPU 6600 2.40 GHz so I am pretty sure that is enough speed to play my
> dvd's. However my only concern is my monitor that I bought 10 or 15 years ago
> its a sylvania 19". So what the other person wrote about having digital
> players you need to have everything HDMI compadable. Could this my problem?
> Any help would be great!
>
> "Jason Chen" wrote:
>
> > I got the following message when playing DVDs on Vista home premium with
> > Windows Media Player. The same problem happens to media center.
> >
> > Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
> > digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
> > installing an updated driver for your video card.
> >
> > I can play those DVDs on PowerDVD or VLC player. I installed K-Lite codec.
> > It still doesn't work. It looks like it is not codec problem.
> >
> > Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks for your help.

Colin Barnhorst

"bic" <bic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am replying to my own question here because I finnaly got it to work. I
> took the adivce Canuck57 wrote about the compatibility of the DVD, Vidoe
> Card, and MONITOR!!! Monitor is exclimated there only because thats the
> only
> thing I didn't think of updating and there you have it. Automatically
> updated in Device manager and after a quick reset "vooala!" (however you
> spell it) So don't give up people who have having that same:
>
> "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
> digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.
> Try
> installing an updated driver for your video card. "
>
> It all matters the DVD to the CPU to the Video Card then finnaly to your
> monitor... A lot of stuff it has to travel through to get to the screen.
> Make sure EVERYTHING is updated is my only advice, not just the vidoe
> card,
> which windows media player advises thats the only problem it could be.
> Had
> to do a little more work finding out that but its worth it movies run
> awesome
> on my computer now.

Great post, bic!

jmt

Re: Cannot play DVD on Vista with Media Player
i had that same problem and the solution was an usb external dvd wr drive as
my computer didnt support the ide internal drive
hope that helps
John Galt

jmt <jmt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i had that same problem and the solution was an usb external dvd wr drive as
>my computer didnt support the ide internal drive
>hope that helps

Helps WHO?