Duel Boot Problem

Skryark

Duel Boot Problem
Hello, When I got Vista I was already running XP, so a decide to install as a
duel boot so I could have both. Now I want to remove XP but cannot as the
system continues to see it as the boot drive (as far as I can tell). I have
3 hard drives and XP and Vista are installed on seperate drives. I've tried
some fixes suggested on forums. I tried unplugging the XP HD and loading
from the Vista Installation disc, I then copied the bootmgr and boot
directory onto the Vista drive in the proper areas. I then ran the Bootsect
tool from the command prompt and tried the startup recovery option from the
Vista installatiion menu. Neither seem to have worked, if I try to leave
just the Vista drive on to load I get a OS error. Any suggestions for
fixing? Thanks
andy

Re: Duel Boot Problem
On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:38:00 -0700, Skryark
<Skryark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, When I got Vista I was already running XP, so a decide to install as a
>duel boot so I could have both. Now I want to remove XP but cannot as the
>system continues to see it as the boot drive (as far as I can tell). I have
>3 hard drives and XP and Vista are installed on seperate drives. I've tried
>some fixes suggested on forums. I tried unplugging the XP HD and loading
>from the Vista Installation disc, I then copied the bootmgr and boot
>directory onto the Vista drive in the proper areas. I then ran the Bootsect
>tool from the command prompt and tried the startup recovery option from the
>Vista installatiion menu. Neither seem to have worked, if I try to leave
>just the Vista drive on to load I get a OS error. Any suggestions for
>fixing? Thanks

First run Disk Management, and set the primary partition on the Vista
disk drive to active.
Then remove the XP disk drive, configure your system so the BIOS boots
from the Vista disk drive, and follow steps 2 through 15 at
<http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_thread/thread/a434fb8e883bfe76/e44fccdac924c871?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#e44fccdac924c871>
Ignore any references to Windows XP.

Timothy Daniels

Re: Duel Boot Problem
First, go to http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 and download a copy
of EasyBCD.

Then use EasyBCD's "Add/Remove" function, as in:
http://pcproblems.wordpress.com/2007...vista-machine/

BTW, the duAl-booted OSes are on sepArate hard drives.

*TimDaniels*

"Skryark" wrote:
> Hello, When I got Vista I was already running XP, so a decide to install
> as a duel boot so I could have both. Now I want to remove XP but
> cannot as the system continues to see it as the boot drive (as far as I
> can tell). I have 3 hard drives and XP and Vista are installed on
> seperate drives. I've tried some fixes suggested on forums. I tried
> unplugging the XP HD and loading from the Vista Installation disc,
> I then copied the bootmgr and boot directory onto the Vista drive in
> the proper areas. I then ran the Bootsect tool from the command
> prompt and tried the startup recovery option from the Vista installatiion
> menu. Neither seem to have worked, if I try to leave just the Vista
> drive on to load I get a OS error. Any suggestions for fixing? Thanks

Skryark

RE: Duel Boot Problem
Thanks guys, I shall give these a try!