Problem activating error 0XC004E003

Alan

Problem activating error 0XC004E003
Hi all
I have a Problem activating vista after a reinstallation I am getting error
0XC004E003 and can't find a solution, any help would be much appriciated.
Maybe I have to phone Microsoft but vista is not giving me a phone number

Regards Alan
Alan

RE: Problem activating error 0XC004E003

Before reinstalling I took a note of the product key using a keyfinder and
the product key on the label they were different. While loading I tried the
one from the label first but it failed so I tried the other and that worked.
Now when I try to Activate windows it fails and asks me if I want to change
the key and when I try it says I need to activate before I can change the
key. Nuts!

Malke

Alan wrote:

> Before reinstalling I took a note of the product key using a keyfinder
> and
> the product key on the label they were different. While loading I tried
> the one from the label first but it failed so I tried the other and that
> worked. Now when I try to Activate windows it fails and asks me if I want
> to change the key and when I try it says I need to activate before I can
> change the key. Nuts!

You haven't provided any information about your computer and what version of
Vista you're running, but my guess is that you have an OEM machine (Dell,
HP, etc.) and you've tried to installed with a retail disk. With OEM
machines the Product Key that you see with a keyfinder program is the one
used by the OEM for volume installs. You need to use the one on the
Certificate of Authority sticker on the computer.

Perhaps you should describe more thoroughly your computer and the version of
Vista you've installed. Obviously there is a mismatch but without knowing
your exact circumstances, any advice you get will be based only on
guessing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Alan

RE: Problem activating error 0XC004E003
Acer Aspirte 3680 laptop, Oem vista installed, I used OEM Vista disk to
reinstall. I really can't understand why I am getting an error, but I do know
other are getting the same error but cannot find a solution

"Malke" wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>

> > Before reinstalling I took a note of the product key using a keyfinder
> > and
> > the product key on the label they were different. While loading I tried
> > the one from the label first but it failed so I tried the other and that
> > worked. Now when I try to Activate windows it fails and asks me if I want
> > to change the key and when I try it says I need to activate before I can
> > change the key. Nuts!

> You haven't provided any information about your computer and what version of
> Vista you're running, but my guess is that you have an OEM machine (Dell,
> HP, etc.) and you've tried to installed with a retail disk. With OEM
> machines the Product Key that you see with a keyfinder program is the one
> used by the OEM for volume installs. You need to use the one on the
> Certificate of Authority sticker on the computer.
>
> Perhaps you should describe more thoroughly your computer and the version of
> Vista you've installed. Obviously there is a mismatch but without knowing
> your exact circumstances, any advice you get will be based only on
> guessing.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Alan

RE: Problem activating error 0XC004E003
You think it is wrong OEM Vista disk? I thought any Vista OEM disk would do.

"Malke" wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>

> > Before reinstalling I took a note of the product key using a keyfinder
> > and
> > the product key on the label they were different. While loading I tried
> > the one from the label first but it failed so I tried the other and that
> > worked. Now when I try to Activate windows it fails and asks me if I want
> > to change the key and when I try it says I need to activate before I can
> > change the key. Nuts!

> You haven't provided any information about your computer and what version of
> Vista you're running, but my guess is that you have an OEM machine (Dell,
> HP, etc.) and you've tried to installed with a retail disk. With OEM
> machines the Product Key that you see with a keyfinder program is the one
> used by the OEM for volume installs. You need to use the one on the
> Certificate of Authority sticker on the computer.
>
> Perhaps you should describe more thoroughly your computer and the version of
> Vista you've installed. Obviously there is a mismatch but without knowing
> your exact circumstances, any advice you get will be based only on
> guessing.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Malke

Alan wrote:

> Acer Aspirte 3680 laptop, Oem vista installed, I used OEM Vista disk to
> reinstall. I really can't understand why I am getting an error, but I do
> know other are getting the same error but cannot find a solution

Did you use a generic Vista OEM? If you used a branded OEM disk (HP, Dell,
etc.) then that won't work on Acer.

Solution:

1. Contact Acer for restoration media; or
2. Purchase a *retail* copy of Vista and install. Use the Product Key that
comes with it. Have all the Acer drivers and laptop-specific software
available for installation ahead of time.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Alan

RE: Problem activating error 0XC004E003
Only problem with your solution is, have to spend money for OS when laptop
already has COA so in my mind Microsoft should activate.
Acer charge £50 plus for recovery disks which I feel is a rip off, after
spending £500 on the laptop in the first place

Thanks for your advice though, appreciated

Alan

"Malke" wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>
> > Acer Aspirte 3680 laptop, Oem vista installed, I used OEM Vista disk to
> > reinstall. I really can't understand why I am getting an error, but I do
> > know other are getting the same error but cannot find a solution

> Did you use a generic Vista OEM? If you used a branded OEM disk (HP, Dell,
> etc.) then that won't work on Acer.
>
> Solution:
>
> 1. Contact Acer for restoration media; or
> 2. Purchase a *retail* copy of Vista and install. Use the Product Key that
> comes with it. Have all the Acer drivers and laptop-specific software
> available for installation ahead of time.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Alan

RE: Problem activating error 0XC004E003
Just been on the phone to MS and they said I can only use Acer software on an
Acer laptop and they would not help in anyway. Bummer! Looks like if I want
to get the laptop working properly I will have to give Acer their £50.

Malke

Alan wrote:

> Only problem with your solution is, have to spend money for OS when laptop
> already has COA so in my mind Microsoft should activate.
> Acer charge 50 plus for recovery disks which I feel is a rip off, after
> spending 500 on the laptop in the first place

When you started up your Acer for the first time, you got a message strongly
suggesting that you create physical recovery disks. Apparently you chose to
ignore this message. I'm sorry that Acer charges so much for recovery disks
and I agree this sucks. However, you chose to purchase an Acer and you
chose to purchase a computer that didn't come with physical restore disks
and you chose not to create the physical restore disks.

None of this has anything to do with Microsoft. The support for your product
lies directly with Acer and no other entity.

I'm sorry the answers are unpalatable to you, but that's life. EOT for me.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
BirgerH

RE: Problem activating error 0XC004E003
Hey Allan

Of course it's not so.
Every OEM-disk is sold (for a lower price) to a specific pc.
You can't even renew the BIOS, and sometime not the harddisk and graphiccard
without having a new activating and a beliveable explanation.
Thats how licences works.
So you have to get the original rebuild-disks, and paying 50$ for a mistake
is still cheeper than getting a retail-licence.
Thats how life works.
--
BirgerH