Switch Vista Versions between Desktop and Laptop

Tony Olson

Switch Vista Versions between Desktop and Laptop
I bought two upgrade DVD's (Home Basic and Home Basic Premium) and installed
the Home Basic on my Desktop and Home Basic Premium on my laptop. So I find
that I would like to switch my Home Basic Premium to my Desktop.

I'm concerned about the "activation" process. I would assume (on
installation) that the Home Basic Premium DVD could/would be an upgrade to
the Home Basic on my desktop.

My dilemma is if the previous is successful how do I get the Home Basic to
install over the Home Basic Premium currently on my laptop.

I always wondered how multiple Product Keys at Microsoft are handled from
similar IP addresses (wireless network).

I can't see purchasing a Home Basic to Home Basic Premium upgrade when I
don't need it.

My PCs are not for business, but I would like to stay away from an
"activation" hassle with Microsoft. It seems there should be an orderly
process to do this (and many folks must have a need to switch OS versions
between PC's).

Any help is appreciated.

Tony Olson

Brink

Re: Switch Vista Versions between Desktop and Laptop

Tony Olson;708943 Wrote:
> I bought two upgrade DVD's (Home Basic and Home Basic Premium) and
> installed
> the Home Basic on my Desktop and Home Basic Premium on my laptop. So I
> find
> that I would like to switch my Home Basic Premium to my Desktop.
>
> I'm concerned about the "activation" process. I would assume (on
> installation) that the Home Basic Premium DVD could/would be an upgrade
> the Home Basic on my desktop.
>
> My dilemma is if the previous is successful how do I get the Home Basic
> install over the Home Basic Premium currently on my laptop.
>
> I always wondered how multiple Product Keys at Microsoft are handled
> from
> similar IP addresses (wireless network).
>
> I can't see purchasing a Home Basic to Home Basic Premium upgrade when
> don't need it.
>
> My PCs are not for business, but I would like to stay away from an
> "activation" hassle with Microsoft. It seems there should be an orderly
> process to do this (and many folks must have a need to switch OS
> versions
> between PC's).
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Tony Olson

Hi Tony,

You should be able to run the Home premium Upgrade installation from
within your Desktop's Basic edition to upgrade it.

However, you will need to do a clean install with the Home Basic
edition on the laptop since it is not a upgrade but a downgrade from the
Home Premium edition.

You will probably have to do a phone activation on each computer after
the new install to get Vista activated since it will think you still
have it installed on the other computer. This tutorial will show you how
to do a phone activation if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Tony Olson

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Tony Olson;708943 Wrote:
>> I bought two upgrade DVD's (Home Basic and Home Basic Premium) and
>> installed
>> the Home Basic on my Desktop and Home Basic Premium on my laptop. So I
>> find
>> that I would like to switch my Home Basic Premium to my Desktop.
>>
>> I'm concerned about the "activation" process. I would assume (on
>> installation) that the Home Basic Premium DVD could/would be an upgrade
>> the Home Basic on my desktop.
>>
>> My dilemma is if the previous is successful how do I get the Home Basic
>> install over the Home Basic Premium currently on my laptop.
>>
>> I always wondered how multiple Product Keys at Microsoft are handled
>> from
>> similar IP addresses (wireless network).
>>
>> I can't see purchasing a Home Basic to Home Basic Premium upgrade when
>> don't need it.
>>
>> My PCs are not for business, but I would like to stay away from an
>> "activation" hassle with Microsoft. It seems there should be an orderly
>> process to do this (and many folks must have a need to switch OS
>> versions
>> between PC's).
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Tony Olson

> Hi Tony,
>
> You should be able to run the Home premium Upgrade installation from
> within your Desktop's Basic edition to upgrade it.
>
> However, you will need to do a clean install with the Home Basic
> edition on the laptop since it is not a upgrade but a downgrade from the
> Home Premium edition.
>
> You will probably have to do a phone activation on each computer after
> the new install to get Vista activated since it will think you still
> have it installed on the other computer. This tutorial will show you how
> to do a phone activation if needed.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*

Thanks Shawn, I'll give it a go...