Cleaning a Compromised System
After reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling your operating system,
consider installing a good antivirus program, such as Windows OneCare.
You can try it absolutely FREE for 90 days.
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows Vista Enthusiast
Microsoft - What's up with this?!
1) Laptop comes with Vista Business, I purchase an upgrade to Ultimate
with the vista anytime upgrade DVD (10 bucks + upgrade cost). I run fine
for a little over a year including the service pack 1 install recently.
2) Vista decides to stop working. I had a trojan/virus and though I
thought I cleaned it, I suspect I didn't. Computer won't boot
whatsoever. Typical MS OS - reboot automatically after/during
crcdisk.sys safe or no safe boot.
3) I could spend time fixing it, but a year plus on Vista equals a 15+
minute reboot time so I figure why not just reinstall.
4) Knowing this might be an issue but assuming microsoft would not be
completely lame about it, I decide to install Vista Ultimate vs do the
business + ultimate upgrade + service pack 1 dance.
5) After I install I go to my precious Microsoft Digital Locker and try
to install the key. It says no dice, not compatible with this version of
6) I then click on the help link in the error window only to be sent to
a now completely defunct website na.windowsanytimeupgradestore.com. Bad
certifcate and then a 404 - graceful exit on that one MS.
7) Then I call the 877 666 2296 (such an ironic prefix huh?) only to be
told that it too has been shutdown, permanently.
8) Then I send email via web form and get told that I have to call
customer support, etc.
9) After a rediculous 3 ring circus act with pass the hot potato play
with MS I decide that I'd rather just air this BS out here and see if
anyone wants to do the right thing.
Should I have installed Business and then done the Ultimate upgrade and
then installed Service Pack 1? - The answer is NO. The key process,
especially the locker, which btw will only generously display your key
for 3 lousy days after your purchase is flawed, discountinued and
All I can say is this silliness is weak cheese. Knowing all the ways
around the stupid key process, being an MS partner with tons of vista
ult keys, I still tried to be legit about this and the only thing I
asked of MS was to not have to go through an upgrade process for an
operating system I paid for. For that I am rewarded completely lousy and
MS - Not a shining moment for you.