Probem with vista basic registration number.

Cookie

Probem with vista basic registration number.
Any ideas please, I have just replaced my vista basic on my dell pc with a
full new business vista package and new product key fine(not using the
original vista basic at all). When i then loaded the basic vista on my non
dell laptop i am being told the product key is invalid? any ideas why or how
I can resolve this - Is this Dell blocking me re-using the vista basic key on
another make of computer. How can i get over this please?
Bruce Chambers

Re: Probem with vista basic registration number.
Cookie wrote:
> Any ideas please, I have just replaced my vista basic on my dell pc with a
> full new business vista package and new product key fine(not using the
> original vista basic at all). When i then loaded the basic vista on my non
> dell laptop i am being told the product key is invalid?

This is exactly as it should be.

By your own admission, you have an OEM license for Vista Basic that is
*permanently* bound to the Dell PC. An OEM license must be sold with a
piece of hardware (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an
entire PC) and is _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which it's
installed. An OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable
to another computer under _any_ circumstances.

> any ideas why or how
> I can resolve this - Is this Dell blocking me re-using the vista basic key on
> another make of computer. How can i get over this please?

You need to restore Vista Basic to the Dell PC and install the
retail license of Vista Business on the laptop, or purchase a separate
retail Vista license for the laptop.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: