Sound Vista After SP1

tempting2taanzaa

Sound Vista After SP1
Hi:

I have Vista x32 SP1 installed. The installation went fine, but I have
noticed after the Conexant HD Audio driver update I had a no-sound issue.
This went away after a restart. I then installed SP1 via WU and I again had
a no-sound issue. I searched for an answer and found that someone had
opened device manager, scanned for new hardware and was able to hear sound
again. Well, I too am able to do this (open device manager,etc), but I have
to do this ever time I resume windows from hibernation or after restarting
to have sound. Is there some other way I can resolve this issue without
accessing device manager after every restart/resume?

Thanks for your reply!

--
Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
http://driven.mysite.com

t-4-2

Re: Sound Vista After SP1

"tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have Vista x32 SP1 installed. The installation went fine, but I have
> noticed after the Conexant HD Audio driver update I had a no-sound issue.
> This went away after a restart. I then installed SP1 via WU and I again
> had a no-sound issue. I searched for an answer and found that someone had
> opened device manager, scanned for new hardware and was able to hear sound
> again. Well, I too am able to do this (open device manager,etc), but I
> have to do this ever time I resume windows from hibernation or after
> restarting to have sound. Is there some other way I can resolve this
> issue without accessing device manager after every restart/resume?
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> --
> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
> http://driven.mysite.com

Hello,
Here is a link from MS Help & Support, re : sound problems after SP1. See if
it helps you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

tempting2taanzaa

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
Thanks for the link. However, I have already been through the support
document and tried all the fixes there. Any other ideas? I sent an email
to tech support and am waiting on a reply. But, until then, any ideas would
be much appreciated!

--
"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have Vista x32 SP1 installed. The installation went fine, but I have
>> noticed after the Conexant HD Audio driver update I had a no-sound issue.
>> This went away after a restart. I then installed SP1 via WU and I again
>> had a no-sound issue. I searched for an answer and found that someone
>> had opened device manager, scanned for new hardware and was able to hear
>> sound again. Well, I too am able to do this (open device manager,etc),
>> but I have to do this ever time I resume windows from hibernation or
>> after restarting to have sound. Is there some other way I can resolve
>> this issue without accessing device manager after every restart/resume?
>>
>> Thanks for your reply!
>>
>> --
>> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
>> http://driven.mysite.com

> Hello,
> Here is a link from MS Help & Support, re : sound problems after SP1. See
> if it helps you.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

t-4-2

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
Hello,
Don't know which tech support you're referring to. If you couldn't get much
from them, here is a link for MS Help & Support. Look under Update Vista,
click Free support fot Windows Vista SP1 issues. Good luck.
> Thanks for the link. However, I have already been through the support
> document and tried all the fixes there. Any other ideas? I sent an email
> to tech support and am waiting on a reply. But, until then, any ideas
> would be much appreciated!
>
> --
> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
> http://driven.mysite.com
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have Vista x32 SP1 installed. The installation went fine, but I have
>>> noticed after the Conexant HD Audio driver update I had a no-sound
>>> issue. This went away after a restart. I then installed SP1 via WU and
>>> I again had a no-sound issue. I searched for an answer and found that
>>> someone had opened device manager, scanned for new hardware and was able
>>> to hear sound again. Well, I too am able to do this (open device
>>> manager,etc), but I have to do this ever time I resume windows from
>>> hibernation or after restarting to have sound. Is there some other way
>>> I can resolve this issue without accessing device manager after every
>>> restart/resume?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
>>> http://driven.mysite.com

>> Hello,
>> Here is a link from MS Help & Support, re : sound problems after SP1. See
>> if it helps you.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

tempting2taanzaa

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
Oops...my bad...did forget to name the tech support. It was MS support (for
SP1). Of course it is the weekend and probably won't reply until sometime
next week.

--
> Hello,
> Don't know which tech support you're referring to. If you couldn't get
> much from them, here is a link for MS Help & Support. Look under Update
> Vista, click Free support fot Windows Vista SP1 issues. Good luck.
> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the link. However, I have already been through the support
>> document and tried all the fixes there. Any other ideas? I sent an
>> email to tech support and am waiting on a reply. But, until then, any
>> ideas would be much appreciated!
>>
>> --
>> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
>> http://driven.mysite.com
>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>>> Hello,
>>> Here is a link from MS Help & Support, re : sound problems after SP1.
>>> See if it helps you.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

JW

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
Have you tried the latest driver from the manufacturer of your sound card or
MOBO vender instead of an update received using WinUpdate? Problems are
often reported with drivers received using WinUpdate being either out of
date or incompatible with the user's specific system configuration.

"tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks for the link. However, I have already been through the support
> document and tried all the fixes there. Any other ideas? I sent an email
> to tech support and am waiting on a reply. But, until then, any ideas
> would be much appreciated!
>
> --
> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
> http://driven.mysite.com
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have Vista x32 SP1 installed. The installation went fine, but I have
>>> noticed after the Conexant HD Audio driver update I had a no-sound
>>> issue. This went away after a restart. I then installed SP1 via WU and
>>> I again had a no-sound issue. I searched for an answer and found that
>>> someone had opened device manager, scanned for new hardware and was able
>>> to hear sound again. Well, I too am able to do this (open device
>>> manager,etc), but I have to do this ever time I resume windows from
>>> hibernation or after restarting to have sound. Is there some other way
>>> I can resolve this issue without accessing device manager after every
>>> restart/resume?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
>>> http://driven.mysite.com

>> Hello,
>> Here is a link from MS Help & Support, re : sound problems after SP1. See
>> if it helps you.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

tempting2taanzaa

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
I have checked the Toshiba website for available downloads and the latest is
a BIOS update dated for last month, which I performed pre-SP1. Googling
Conexant High Definition Smart Audio HD2 (which is what the sound controller
is now called after the WU) provides only links to forums with questsions,
etc. Pre-WU the sound controller was Conexant High Definition Audio and
according to the driver update sites I had the most updated driver (pre-WU).
I had no sound issues then, nor would WU allow SP1 through with that
previous sound controller driver (even though it was not listed on the MS KB
article of drivers that were problematic).

So, I am still waiting to hear from MS support (through email) and see if
they can provide a solution.

--
"JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
> Have you tried the latest driver from the manufacturer of your sound card
> or MOBO vender instead of an update received using WinUpdate? Problems
> are often reported with drivers received using WinUpdate being either out
> of date or incompatible with the user's specific system configuration.
>
> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the link. However, I have already been through the support
>> document and tried all the fixes there. Any other ideas? I sent an
>> email to tech support and am waiting on a reply. But, until then, any
>> ideas would be much appreciated!
>>
>> --
>> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
>> http://driven.mysite.com
>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>>> Hello,
>>> Here is a link from MS Help & Support, re : sound problems after SP1.
>>> See if it helps you.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

JW

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
Did you try the latest driver update for the sound chip from Toshiba? Or
did they not have any Vista sound drivers for your model?. The chip driver
is separate from the BIOS.
>I have checked the Toshiba website for available downloads and the latest
>is a BIOS update dated for last month, which I performed pre-SP1. Googling
>Conexant High Definition Smart Audio HD2 (which is what the sound
>controller is now called after the WU) provides only links to forums with
>questsions, etc. Pre-WU the sound controller was Conexant High Definition
>Audio and according to the driver update sites I had the most updated
>driver (pre-WU). I had no sound issues then, nor would WU allow SP1 through
>with that previous sound controller driver (even though it was not listed
>on the MS KB article of drivers that were problematic).
>
> So, I am still waiting to hear from MS support (through email) and see if
> they can provide a solution.
>
> --
> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
> http://driven.mysite.com
> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>> Have you tried the latest driver from the manufacturer of your sound card
>> or MOBO vender instead of an update received using WinUpdate? Problems
>> are often reported with drivers received using WinUpdate being either out
>> of date or incompatible with the user's specific system configuration.
>>
>> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the link. However, I have already been through the support
>>> document and tried all the fixes there. Any other ideas? I sent an
>>> email to tech support and am waiting on a reply. But, until then, any
>>> ideas would be much appreciated!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
>>> http://driven.mysite.com

tempting2taanzaa

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
The latest update for the sound driver was earlier than the one that was
installed from the manufacturer.

--
> Did you try the latest driver update for the sound chip from Toshiba? Or
> did they not have any Vista sound drivers for your model?. The chip
> driver is separate from the BIOS.
> "tempting2taanzaa" <taanzaa39@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>I have checked the Toshiba website for available downloads and the latest
>>is a BIOS update dated for last month, which I performed pre-SP1.
>>Googling Conexant High Definition Smart Audio HD2 (which is what the sound
>>controller is now called after the WU) provides only links to forums with
>>questsions, etc. Pre-WU the sound controller was Conexant High Definition
>>Audio and according to the driver update sites I had the most updated
>>driver (pre-WU). I had no sound issues then, nor would WU allow SP1
>>through with that previous sound controller driver (even though it was not
>>listed on the MS KB article of drivers that were problematic).
>>
>> So, I am still waiting to hear from MS support (through email) and see if
>> they can provide a solution.
>>
>> --
>> Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit
>> http://driven.mysite.com
>> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>>> Have you tried the latest driver from the manufacturer of your sound
>>> card or MOBO vender instead of an update received using WinUpdate?
>>> Problems are often reported with drivers received using WinUpdate being
>>> either out of date or incompatible with the user's specific system
>>> configuration.

tempting2taanzaa

Re: Sound Vista After SP1
I just looked at the Toshiba website to make sure. It was the same version
(not earlier) as the one that was previously installed on my laptop.