Reinstalling

J Patrick

Reinstalling
Every now and then, my computer gets clogged up. I typically solve my
problems by wiping the disk by reinstalling Windows.

This is the first time I'm doing this with Vista; when I did it, nothing had
changed. The only major difference that I could tell was that now I had a
Windows folder that just took up space.

Can anyone tell me how to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows?
Barring that, can anyone tell me how to wipe the drive and reset all the
drivers?
...winston

Re: Reinstalling
If a retail Vista DVD
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/vista_faq.htm
See Items 17 and 32

If an OEM DVD, reference your OEM's instructions or web site for any unique/required methods.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"J Patrick" <JPatrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6067B625-EAB8-4C7F-9204-F50701348A81@microsoft.com...
> Every now and then, my computer gets clogged up. I typically solve my
> problems by wiping the disk by reinstalling Windows.
>
> This is the first time I'm doing this with Vista; when I did it, nothing had
> changed. The only major difference that I could tell was that now I had a
> Windows folder that just took up space.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows?
> Barring that, can anyone tell me how to wipe the drive and reset all the
> drivers?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Reinstalling
J Patrick wrote:
> Every now and then, my computer gets clogged up.

Only if you deliberately let that happen.

> I typically solve my
> problems by wiping the disk by reinstalling Windows.

I've heard of stranger hobbies. There is certainly no sound
technical reason for reinstalling any version of Windows periodically.
Wouldn't it save you much more time, in the long run, just to learn how
to properly use and maintain the computer?

> This is the first time I'm doing this with Vista; when I did it, nothing had
> changed. The only major difference that I could tell was that now I had a
> Windows folder that just took up space.

It sounds like you started the installation from within Vista and
performed an in-place upgrade of the pre-existing installation. By
design, therefore, nothing significant would have changed.

> Can anyone tell me how to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows?
> Barring that, can anyone tell me how to wipe the drive and reset all the
> drivers?

Simply boot from the Vista installation DVD and follow the on screen
prompts.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: