From Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=

From Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail
I tried the import option for Outlook in Windows Mail, and get the error:
Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred.

Are you not meant to revert from Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail?
=?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=

RE: From Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail
HI I tried to import from 2003 to windows mail with no problems.

This is a quote from Windows Mail Help it worked for me:

Import messages to Windows Mail from other e‑mail programs

You can switch to Windows Mail from your existing e‑mail program without
losing access to your existing e‑mail messages. Windows Mail can import
messages from a variety of popular e‑mail programs, such as Eudora and
Netscape Communicator, as well as from Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft
Outlook.

Click to open Windows Mail.

Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.

Follow the instructions to import your e‑mail messages.

This is a direct quote from help:

"Dave" wrote:

> I tried the import option for Outlook in Windows Mail, and get the error:
> Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred.
>
> Are you not meant to revert from Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail?

=?Utf-8?B?QURhdmlzQ2xhbg==?=

RE: From Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail
Jake - I tried importing messages from Microsoft Outlook into Windows Mail
using the method described. I received the following error message "messages
can not be imported from the MAPI client. An error message occured."

"Jake" wrote:

> HI I tried to import from 2003 to windows mail with no problems.
>
> This is a quote from Windows Mail Help it worked for me:
>
> Import messages to Windows Mail from other e‑mail programs
>
> You can switch to Windows Mail from your existing e‑mail program without
> losing access to your existing e‑mail messages. Windows Mail can import
> messages from a variety of popular e‑mail programs, such as Eudora and
> Netscape Communicator, as well as from Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft
> Outlook.
>
> Click to open Windows Mail.
>
> Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
>
> Follow the instructions to import your e‑mail messages.
>

> This is a direct quote from help:
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
> > I tried the import option for Outlook in Windows Mail, and get the error:
> > Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred.
> >
> > Are you not meant to revert from Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail?

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmU=?=

RE: From Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail
ADavisClan - Try this it worked for me: To import from the Outlook Express
message store into the Windows Mail message store, do the following:
1. Create a directory under the current user's Documents, such as
Documents\OEMail. This directory needs to be within the user's space, such as
under Documents, in order to prevent possible access permissions problems.
2. Copy all the dbx files from one Outlook Express Identity into this
directory, ensuring that folders.dbx is included.
3. Go to Edit | Select all in Windows Explorer and select all the dbx files.
Then right click on the selection and choose Properties and ensure that the
read only attribute of the files is unchecked.
4. In Windows Mail go to File | Import Messages and choose Outlook Express 6
format and choose to import from a directory.
5. Then use the Browse button to browse to the directory of dbx files. Make
sure that when you set the directory that what is listed in the path is
correct (NOTE: Vista can put the wrong path in here sometimes, so instead of
c:\mypath it puts c:\mypath\mypath, so check the path to verify that it is
correct, and if it is not correct then fix it).
6. Then select the files from which you wish to import messages and click
Import.

"Wayne" wrote:

> ADavisClan - Try this it worked for me: To import from the Outlook Express
> message store into the Windows Mail message store, do the following:
> 1. Create a directory under the current user's Documents, such as
> Documents\OEMail. This directory needs to be within the user's space, such as
> under Documents, in order to prevent possible access permissions problems.
> 2. Copy all the dbx files from one Outlook Express Identity into this
> directory, ensuring that folders.dbx is included.
> 3. Go to Edit | Select all in Windows Explorer and select all the dbx files.
> Then right click on the selection and choose Properties and ensure that the
> read only attribute of the files is unchecked.
> 4. In Windows Mail go to File | Import Messages and choose Outlook Express 6
> format and choose to import from a directory.
> 5. Then use the Browse button to browse to the directory of dbx files. Make
> sure that when you set the directory that what is listed in the path is
> correct (NOTE: Vista can put the wrong path in here sometimes, so instead of
> c:\mypath it puts c:\mypath\mypath, so check the path to verify that it is
> correct, and if it is not correct then fix it).
> 6. Then select the files from which you wish to import messages and click
> Import.
>
> "ADavisClan" wrote:
>
> > Jake - I tried importing messages from Microsoft Outlook into Windows Mail
> > using the method described. I received the following error message "messages
> > can not be imported from the MAPI client. An error message occured."
> >
> > "Jake" wrote:
> >
> > > HI I tried to import from 2003 to windows mail with no problems.
> > >
> > > This is a quote from Windows Mail Help it worked for me:
> > >
> > > Import messages to Windows Mail from other e‑mail programs
> > >
> > > You can switch to Windows Mail from your existing e‑mail program without
> > > losing access to your existing e‑mail messages. Windows Mail can import
> > > messages from a variety of popular e‑mail programs, such as Eudora and
> > > Netscape Communicator, as well as from Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft
> > > Outlook.
> > >
> > > Click to open Windows Mail.
> > >
> > > Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
> > >
> > > Follow the instructions to import your e‑mail messages.
> > >

> > > This is a direct quote from help:

=?Utf-8?B?QURhdmlzQ2xhbg==?=

RE: From Outlook 2003 to Windows Mail
Wayne etal:

Wayne's suggestion worked just fine thank you so much Wayne. The only
thing I needed to do defferent, since my files were in Outlook 2003 not
Outlook Express,was to first open Outlook Express on my old computer and
import my Outlook 2003 files from that same computer. This converted them to
the dbx files you refered to. I was then able to follow your instructions.
I copied the dbx files into a folder on a thumb drive, inserted the thumb
drive into my new computer, opened Vista Mail pointing it to the thumb drive
which worked just like you said. I now have recovered all my old e-mails.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

Wayne