Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?

Emerald Saint

Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?
Hello.

I totally broke the Vista on my HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop. The Pavillion
is about 1.5 years old. I am going to buy a Vista installation DVD. OEM
DVDs are cheaper. I used OEM versions of WinXP on homebuilt desktop PCs and
never had any problem. Are there potential problems using an OEM Vista DVD
on a HP Pavillion ? Because it is an HP I wonder if there is some
'proprietary' tricks they have to keep you from using an OEM disk.

Also, are some OEM disks made to install on only one kind of PC ?

Please tell me what you know. Your help may save me a lot of trouble.

TIA

JW

Re: Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?
What is preventing you from reinstalling Vista on your PC with your HP
recovery disks?
"Emerald Saint" <xp.student@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2MOdnZNS87Ze_LnVnZ2dnUVZ_qqgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Hello.
>
> I totally broke the Vista on my HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop. The Pavillion
> is about 1.5 years old. I am going to buy a Vista installation DVD. OEM
> DVDs are cheaper. I used OEM versions of WinXP on homebuilt desktop PCs
> and never had any problem. Are there potential problems using an OEM
> Vista DVD on a HP Pavillion ? Because it is an HP I wonder if there is
> some 'proprietary' tricks they have to keep you from using an OEM disk.
>
> Also, are some OEM disks made to install on only one kind of PC ?
>
> Please tell me what you know. Your help may save me a lot of trouble.
>
> TIA

Bender

Re: Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?
The difference between an OEM version and a Retail version is the license.
Manufacturers may alter the OEM that they use, but the OEM copy that you buy
is the same as the retail version, except for the license.

"Emerald Saint" <xp.student@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2MOdnZNS87Ze_LnVnZ2dnUVZ_qqgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Hello.
>
> I totally broke the Vista on my HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop. The Pavillion
> is about 1.5 years old. I am going to buy a Vista installation DVD. OEM
> DVDs are cheaper. I used OEM versions of WinXP on homebuilt desktop PCs
> and never had any problem. Are there potential problems using an OEM
> Vista DVD on a HP Pavillion ? Because it is an HP I wonder if there is
> some 'proprietary' tricks they have to keep you from using an OEM disk.
>
> Also, are some OEM disks made to install on only one kind of PC ?
>
> Please tell me what you know. Your help may save me a lot of trouble.
>
> TIA

Emerald Saint

Re: Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?
The disk boots the PC then I get a message that says the recovery disk is
not supported. The recovery partition does something - I can't say what -
and then reboots - over and over. It's a long story. I decided not to
fiddle with it any longer. There is one possible way that might work. If I
had the boot code for the original MBR I might be able to get the recovery
partition to work. If somebody would send me the MBR from a similar
Pavilion system I might be able to get it going again. But instead I'll
just get a real Vista DVD.

"JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
> What is preventing you from reinstalling Vista on your PC with your HP
> recovery disks?
> "Emerald Saint" <xp.student@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:2MOdnZNS87Ze_LnVnZ2dnUVZ_qqgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Hello.
>>
>> I totally broke the Vista on my HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop. The
>> Pavillion is about 1.5 years old. I am going to buy a Vista installation
>> DVD. OEM DVDs are cheaper. I used OEM versions of WinXP on homebuilt
>> desktop PCs and never had any problem. Are there potential problems
>> using an OEM Vista DVD on a HP Pavillion ? Because it is an HP I wonder
>> if there is some 'proprietary' tricks they have to keep you from using an
>> OEM disk.
>>
>> Also, are some OEM disks made to install on only one kind of PC ?
>>
>> Please tell me what you know. Your help may save me a lot of trouble.
>>
>> TIA

Malke

Emerald Saint wrote:

> The disk boots the PC then I get a message that says the recovery disk is
> not supported. The recovery partition does something - I can't say what -
> and then reboots - over and over. It's a long story. I decided not to
> fiddle with it any longer. There is one possible way that might work. If
> I had the boot code for the original MBR I might be able to get the
> recovery
> partition to work. If somebody would send me the MBR from a similar
> Pavilion system I might be able to get it going again. But instead I'll
> just get a real Vista DVD.

I think your best course of action is to contact HP tech support, but that's
just me. Instead of buying an OEM Vista (which should work with your HP,
yes) try this free download instead:

For people who only have a restore image - Windows Vista Recovery Disc
Download:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

I haven't tried it myself but others have reported it works well.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
JW

Re: Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?
Did you system come with Vista or did it come with XP and you got the free
Vista upgrade after Vista was released?
Since you did no make a set of recovery DVDs when you got the system I
suggest that you contact HP support, I think you can get a set for a very
minimal charge from them.
"Emerald Saint" <xp.student@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:4vWdnUyr9ualkrjVnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> The disk boots the PC then I get a message that says the recovery disk is
> not supported. The recovery partition does something - I can't say what -
> and then reboots - over and over. It's a long story. I decided not to
> fiddle with it any longer. There is one possible way that might work. If
> I had the boot code for the original MBR I might be able to get the
> recovery partition to work. If somebody would send me the MBR from a
> similar Pavilion system I might be able to get it going again. But
> instead I'll just get a real Vista DVD.
>

> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>> What is preventing you from reinstalling Vista on your PC with your HP
>> recovery disks?
>> "Emerald Saint" <xp.student@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:2MOdnZNS87Ze_LnVnZ2dnUVZ_qqgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I totally broke the Vista on my HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop. The
>>> Pavillion is about 1.5 years old. I am going to buy a Vista
>>> installation DVD. OEM DVDs are cheaper. I used OEM versions of WinXP
>>> on homebuilt desktop PCs and never had any problem. Are there potential
>>> problems using an OEM Vista DVD on a HP Pavillion ? Because it is an HP
>>> I wonder if there is some 'proprietary' tricks they have to keep you
>>> from using an OEM disk.
>>>
>>> Also, are some OEM disks made to install on only one kind of PC ?
>>>
>>> Please tell me what you know. Your help may save me a lot of trouble.
>>>
>>> TIA

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?
On Fri, 9 May 2008 19:31:36 -0700, "Bender"
<imnotgivingmynametoa@machine.net> wrote:

>The difference between an OEM version and a Retail version is the license.
>Manufacturers may alter the OEM that they use, but the OEM copy that you buy
>is the same as the retail version, except for the license.
>

>"Emerald Saint" <xp.student@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:2MOdnZNS87Ze_LnVnZ2dnUVZ_qqgnZ2d@comcast.com ...
>> Hello.
>>
>> I totally broke the Vista on my HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop. The Pavillion
>> is about 1.5 years old. I am going to buy a Vista installation DVD. OEM
>> DVDs are cheaper. I used OEM versions of WinXP on homebuilt desktop PCs
>> and never had any problem. Are there potential problems using an OEM
>> Vista DVD on a HP Pavillion ? Because it is an HP I wonder if there is
>> some 'proprietary' tricks they have to keep you from using an OEM disk.

The only "trick" they use is using non-standard devices in their
Laptops, which makes it very difficult to find Vista drivers.

IF you buy a NON-HP OEM disk (i.e., "A System Builder Kit from your
local System Builder Shop), you will only have the problem of finding
the correct Vista drivers for your laptop and installing them.

There is nothing [techincally or legally] HP can do to stop the user
from using a non-HP System Builder Kit.

>> Also, are some OEM disks made to install on only one kind of PC ?
>>
>> Please tell me what you know. Your help may save me a lot of trouble.
>>
>> TIA

Basically, there are three types of OEM media:
1) "System Builder Kits". These have everything a "Full Retail" copy
has, but cannot be used to do an in-place upgrade of a previous
Microsoft OS. They are produced and released by Microsoft, and may be
installed on any Intel-Based, BIOS-using machine. Buy one from your
local System Builder shop. These are always branded only by
Microsoft.

2) "BIOS-LOCKED". These are produced by major System Builders, and
are exactly like the "System Builder Kits" above, but may only be
installed on computers which have the correct BIOS. These are
sometimes included with the machine one purchases, and are always
branded with the OEM's brand.

3) OEM disks like those provided by Dell. Dell is still including
them with each complete system purchased. These allow one to install
the OS on any computer, like the System Builder Kits, but will only be
pre-activated if one installs them on a computer for which they were
produced. Of course, using one of these Disks with a machine not
built by the OEM it was purchased from will result in an invalid
License, since such licenses may not be transferred to machines not
manufactured by the OEM they are purchased from.

ALL OEM Licenses LACK:
1) On-going support from Microsoft, other than during installation and
regular updates.
2) The right to be transferred to another person WITHOUT also
transferring the machine upon which it was first activated to the new
owner.
3) The right to be transferred to another machine owned by the current
licensee.
4) The right (or ability) to do an in-place upgrade of a previous OS.

OEM licenses have only ONE advantage because of their limitations:
They are [usually] much cheaper than Retail kits.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
Emerald Saint

Re: Can I buy OEM Vista and use it on HP Pavillion laptop ?
Hi.. Thanks (everybody) for the info.

I bought OEM Win XP Home from Frys online. I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 via
Torrent (very fast) and I'm tinkering with that while waiting for the WinXP
to arrive. The Ubuntu is cool.

That info about OEM is really good. I'm filing that one away for reference.